3DO Doom succesfully compiled (but no way to run it)

Tools and projects
blabla
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Doom succesfully compiled (but no way to run it)

Post by blabla » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:14 am

Hello,
Since 3DO Doom's source code was released, i tried to compile it and i was able to do it
2 days after the source code was released.
Unfortunely, there was no way i could test it because OperaFS, the software i'm using
to package my games/stuff into one ISO file, doesn't work properly with commercial games.

Hopefully, his author will fix the issues...

Here's a link to the binairies and the source code :
https://gameblabla.olympe.in/files/doom3do-compiled.7z

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Re: 3DO Doom succesfully compiled (but no way to run it)

Post by a31chris » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:22 am

blabla wrote:Hello,
Since 3DO Doom's source code was released, i tried to compile it and i was able to do it
2 days after the source code was released.
Unfortunely, there was no way i could test it because OperaFS, the software i'm using
to package my games/stuff into one ISO file, doesn't work properly with commercial games.

Hopefully, his author will fix the issues...

Here's a link to the binairies and the source code :
https://gameblabla.olympe.in/files/doom3do-compiled.7z
Who is 'his author'?

Have you tried asking the original developer for advice? They may not actually do any work but they may be interested in helping in an advisory position.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

zetastrike
3DO ZERO USER

Post by zetastrike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:16 am

Would there be any way of hacking the game and fixing its framerate issue?

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:05 am

zetastrike wrote:Would there be any way of hacking the game and fixing its framerate issue?
Rebuilding the core of the engine is probably the only thing that would fix the framerate.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Would there be any way of hacking the game and fixing its framerate issue?
That would be useless, because the source code is available.
Even if i want to hack the game, i would still have to use OperaFS.
So no.

The members at 3doplanet are trying to understand the REZFILE format so i posted it there.
Maybe they will figure it out how to run my binary on the real thing/emulators.

Versus

Post by Versus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

Launchme compiled on MPW Shell works on emulators/consoles.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Versus wrote:Launchme compiled on MPW Shell works on emulators/consoles.
That's definitively good news, thanks Versus for letting me know !
This means that we can at least for a while, improve the framerate.
(From what i've seen, it's definitively not going to be easy though. She really did her best)

Might be a good idea to release a first version with the fullscreen cheat unlocked by default.
It should be very easy, you simply to turn the cheat (in the code) to 1 if i remember well.

Versus

Post by Versus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:26 am

I've made a small feature. Music stops reading from CD, when a slide is set to zero. It starts playing again when the slider position is >0.
The problem is in converting a REZFILE. If someone can help, it would be greatful! The only problem is in last lump encoding.
Read from here:
http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewtopic.php ... 28#p121628
If you can't understand, I'll try to translate.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 am

Versus wrote:I've made a small feature. Music stops reading from CD, when a slide is set to zero. It starts playing again when the slider position is >0.
The problem is in converting a REZFILE. If someone can help, it would be greatful! The only problem is in last lump encoding.
Read from here:
http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewtopic.php ... 28#p121628
If you can't understand, I'll try to translate.
Can't you just try to build a new one with the scripts provided with the source code rather than trying to understand the REZFILE format ?
The official SDK does have the tools to build a REZFILE, am i correct ?
I'm not sure who can help you understanding it, perhaps it might be a good idea to ask at Doomworld on their board if they want to help ?

Also, really nice edit with the music. I've seen some reviewers complaining about the music cutting after a while.

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:07 am

blabla wrote: Can't you just try to build a new one with the scripts provided with the source code rather than trying to understand the REZFILE format ?
There are no scripts for REZFILE in released sources and I can't build another Rezfile.
blabla wrote: The official SDK does have the tools to build a REZFILE, am i correct ?
No. Rezfile format is only Rebecca's invention. REZFILE was build using her library Burgerlib. There's no any info in official SDK.
blabla wrote: I'm not sure who can help you understanding it, perhaps it might be a good idea to ask at Doomworld on their board if they want to help ?
Already tried this. (
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-port ... -released/

Also, Rebecca gave me two sources of old MakeRez app. But I can't compile it. Can you try to do it? If I understand correctly, we have to compile and use it under MPW.
There is a new makerez app, but it doesn't use functions needed for Doom REZFILE.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Also, Rebecca gave me two sources of old MakeRez app. But I can't compile it. Can you try to do it? If I understand correctly, we have to compile and use it under MPW.
There is a new makerez app, but it doesn't use functions needed for Doom REZFILE.
I can't really help because i either need a real pc with Mac OS 7 or virtual machine with everything ready.
Might be a good idea to release the source for MakeRez though.

Another way would be to modify the source code and use another custom-made format.
I think that's what you should end up too if understanding the REZFILE format is too difficult.

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

blabla wrote: I can't really help because i either need a real pc with Mac OS 7 or virtual machine with everything ready.
I can upload my configured emulator Mac OS 7 with preinstalled MPW and Makerez source. Your knowledge of C# is much better than my. So, if you want to try this, I'll upload it.
blabla wrote: Another way would be to modify the source code and use another custom-made format.
It's too complicated, I think... All sources is spinning around of this REZFILE. :(
The source of Makerez is in attach.
Attachments
MAKEREZ.zip
(17.23 KiB) Downloaded 352 times

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:49 am

Versus wrote: I can't really help because i either need a real pc with Mac OS 7 or virtual machine with everything ready.
I can upload my configured emulator Mac OS 7 with preinstalled MPW and Makerez source. Your knowledge of C# is much better than my. So, if you want to try this, I'll upload it.
[/quote]
I'm interested.
I don't think the moderators will be bothered because Mac OS 7 was released for free at one time before they pulled it.

MakeRez needs to be compiled as a native Mac OS 7 program, not as a 3DO program.
The burger header is compatible with pcs too so you only need to put it in the include folder of the Mac OS compiler.

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 pm

blabla, do you have any progress?
I putted the burger.h file in icludes folder, but I have to put a *.lib file into library folder. After all files were in place, my Mac emul is shutting down on compilation. :(

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:43 am

Cool news! Rebecca Heineman will stream Sunday 5PM PST about Doom 3DO.
http://www.twitch.tv/burgerbecky

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Versus wrote:Cool news! Rebecca Heineman will stream Sunday 5PM PST about Doom 3DO.
http://www.twitch.tv/burgerbecky
Shiiiiii.... I missed it.
To anyone who watched it, what happened during that stram ?

Versus

Post by Versus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU
Take a look. Very interesting stream!

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Versus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU
Take a look. Very interesting stream!
Very cool stream, thanks Versus.

To anyone who missed it :
She said she's going to release the missing tools for 3DO Doom, which means that we should soon see 3do mods pop up everywhere.
She also talked about releasing the source code for Wolfenstein 3D 3DO and even perhaps Killing Time !

However, you can only build it properly on a devkit (or the virtual machine) so you can't build it on Windows...
Versus said i should increase the stack size, i have not tried that yet.

Offtopic: lol'd at 3doplanet asking how much time it would take to compile Doom on an Apple 2.
(He obviously meant the Mac OS 7 devkit but she took his sentence literally lol)

Versus

Post by Versus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:13 pm

blabla wrote: Offtopic: lol'd at 3doplanet asking how much time it would take to compile Doom on an Apple 2.
(He obviously meant the Mac OS 7 devkit but she took his sentence literally lol)
That's my mistake... :( I meant devkit with Mac OS 7 of course...

Versus

Post by Versus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:56 am

Working compilation on Windows in one click. You'll get a working encrypted iso file with your BannerScreen.
https://yadi.sk/d/jFRnqFx0iCtPS

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:04 am

Versus wrote:Working compilation on Windows in one click. You'll get a working encrypted iso file with your BannerScreen.
https://yadi.sk/d/jFRnqFx0iCtPS
Ha, thanks ! I'll take a look at it.
It seems like you're still using Sheepshaver, am i right ?
I'll try it on my nix box with wine and i'll tell if it is working.

Versus

Post by Versus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Hmm. This compilation works on Windows using ARMSDTS, not on Mac OS emulator.

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Aer Fixus » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:06 am

I had some troubles to start with. It turns out it doesn't work right if ARM250 and/or 3DODev aren't in the root of the C: drive. Even after editing the .bat and the makefile, the ARM compiler would give some errors.

Also, I'm glad to see that ARM SDT 2.5 can actually be downloaded relatively easily now. And, by the way, I'm fairly certain (if it is to be included with other projects in the future) that the ARM250 directory can just be included without having to fuss with installation on modern computers (although it's not that hard honestly, just not completely straight forward). At least, it seemed to work when I transferred it to my XP machine that way.

And so, with this, we have progressed further in the realm of mucking around with the 3DO.

Versus

Post by Versus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:27 am

See my new cheat for 3DO Doom (noclip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrOfb8huxY

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:18 pm

See my new cheat for 3DO Doom (noclip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrOfb8huxY
Well done, dude !
Can't wait to see what you will came up with next !

Also, try to run cppcheck on your source code, this might help discovering
bad and buggy code. (careful though, sometimes there are false-positive)
Feel free to fix the list of known bugs, doom wikia has a list of them.

Versus

Post by Versus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:28 am

For all who want to test improved version (ISO):
https://yadi.sk/d/a2bEY7LOkJ6oa

1) After the Music Volume slider is set to zero, the music is stoped streaming from CD.
2) New cheatcode: NOCLIP. You can access to isolated area in level 10 for 100% secrets! )))
3) Savegame feature. Saving games is possible after the player completes a level. Loading is working from main menu and after death. SaveGame filesize is 160 bytes only (96 bytes in GameGuru).
4) Recording demos in selected level to NVRAM. Playing demos from NVRAM. I reserved about 8 kB of NVRAM for the demo file. Recording doesn't start if < 8kB of NVRAM memory is avalable.
5) Player text messages after pickups and founding secrets.
6) "Entering Dis" text in intermission screen after level 22 is working now.
7) Sound plays when skull cursor is moving.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Yo Versus, really cool !
I gave it a try on my android phone but i personally could not notice much differences between the official version and this one.
(your version might be a little faster though but this simply may have to do that you compiled with a more recent, better compiler)

Could you please put it somewhere clearly how to record a demo and play it back ?

In any case, it is definitively the definitive version of Doom on 3DO !
Thanks a lot for your work !

PS : I suggest you poking it around a little bit with it and try to downgrade some things if possible.
Also, please turn on the fullscreen cheat by default !

Versus

Post by Versus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Thank you!
Game is a little bit faster maybe because of 1) (see my previous post)
Compiler is the same (old Mac OS emulator)
Demo can be recorded from load game menu by pressing the C button. You can select level and then tune to load level menu for recording/saving. Recorded file can be played from load menu by pressing B button. There are some speed issues, I can't fix this yet. Some level segments plays in normal speed, some slower, some fast.
Large screen by default? Hm... I made this already and reversed it back. The point is that if we want to play original version of Doom after new version, the screen size will be set to large. :( I don't want to make such dependences... But you're not the only one who asked me about large screen, so I'll think about it. :wink:

PS. Recently I've added a custom sounds for blue sphere (PSX sound) and for secrets foundings. Also I can exit to main menu after death and load any level or load my game. I want to make a reverb sounds like in PSX version. For that I need to recompile a Burger.lib file (done). I plan to remake main menu to more convinient.

PPS. The NOCLIP cheat: Up, Right, LeftShift, LeftShift, LeftShift, Up, Down, B, A.
blabla wrote: PS : I suggest you poking it around a little bit with it and try to downgrade some things if possible.
Sorry, can't understand this. :cry:
Last edited by Versus on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.