OperaFS[De]Compiler commandline or source code?

Tools and projects
Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

OperaFS[De]Compiler commandline or source code?

Post by Saffron » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:02 am

Hi! I almost have my automated "make & play" ready, but there's still a point which must be done manually.

I wonder if the OperaFS util accept command line params to do the iso creation automatically. Or at least, the source has been released, so I can add it myself?

btw I've been playing with the cel engine a little more and started doing "3D cubes":

It's an isometric cube, since I'm not doing any kind of perspective correction yet. That's the next step, learn the inners of the cel engine, SPORT, VRAM, etc... so I can think of the best tricks to get 3d graphics at more than 10 fps :mrgreen:
You can't take the sky from me

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Re: OperaFS[De]Compiler commandline or source code?

Post by blabla » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Unfortunely, OperaFS[De]Compiller does not accept command-line parameters. (At least it doesn't seem to)
There's the source code to a Linux implementation of the OperaFS file system here but not to the compiler itself. You're on your own.

Good luck with your projects !

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:39 pm

It's a pity there's no code... I'm seriously thinking on switching to Basilisk II and just use the official tools.

blabla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by blabla » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:10 am

It's a pity there's no code... I'm seriously thinking on switching to Basilisk II and just use the official tools.
Yes , that's true but switching to a virtual environment instead is a bad idea.
It will be a royal pain in the ass for you to work on a game, especially with modern tools.
That and you will have no color syntaxing, obsolete graphic tools, no audacity etc...
You get the idea. All we need are better tools.

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:49 am

blabla wrote:All we need are better tools.
All I can say is that I could not agree more.

I've send an email to the author, I'll tell more if I get a reply.

In the meantime I've been working a bit more with the 3DO and I must say I'm loving the system! I hope I can build a 3d engine that doesn't sucks too much :roll: I'm going to create some test scenes and try to get some initial benchmarks.

Optimus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Optimus » Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 pm

This is kinda old thread to reply, but I've been recently looking at this too.

I was using OperaFS and a tool called autohotkey that automatically does timed keystrokes to select compile, type the cd directory, and tab through the buttons to press and do the process. This was setup by someone else helping me back in time to start building something on the 3DO.
But I still wanted command line option. OperaFS doesn't have.

Then I tried your tool OperaTool which is what I needed but I realized it does something wrong and after finally using the other 3DOEncrypt tool, it just fails to boot even on emulators.

I was about to check the source code of OperaTool and understand what's going wrong (if I am lucky, I am totally illiterate considering the Opera file system and the encryption) however I found another tool. It's not mentioned too much.

Versus posted some time ago a zip file which would compile Doom on Windows in one click
https://yadi.sk/d/jFRnqFx0iCtPS
I was like, and what about the OperaFS creation?
It seems that in that zip there is a less known tool called 3doiso.exe which takes command line and after I also run the 3DOEncrypt, it finally works (on emulator at least, but I guess that would mean real 3DO too, I will test at some point)

So, I guess there is a way for me (but not sure for people working on mac or linux, we'd need source code of these, or maybe the OperaTool could also be fixed, I wish I can find some time to understand more about it and see if I can help fix it). I agree we need more tools (but there are many I didn't know already).

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:55 am

Ultra late to the party, but it's retro development so... who cares! :D

I did the basic work for creating the iso file, but there was still missing parts. The Opera filesystem has some trickery to it. I don't remember exactly the missing parts, but basically it was a pain in the ass to discover how a certain thing worked, and not even old 3DO employees remembered, I ended up a bit burned and nobody seemed to care about the project so I ended up forgetting about it.

If someone is still interested on it I wouldn't mind having another look.

Optimus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Optimus » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:58 am

Yeah, I've got long time to check this forum. I should more frequently as I miss posts. Nowadays we are hanging at discord.