Recompiling Dr. Hauzer for Translation

Tools and projects
Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Recompiling Dr. Hauzer for Translation

Post by Aer Fixus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:59 pm

There are some patching utilities for other ROM hack projects. Maybe one of them would work for this?

I'm excited for this and could definitely test the .iso on a real 3DO. And do you have a link to your LP? I'd watch it.

On the topic of that other post, the only link that still works is Icebreaker 2. I'd be interested in getting the others both for archiving and also because of the "Joypad Test" that I never knew about.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:46 am

True, I've used some patching software for the PSP a long time ago that should work with any image file. It would be easier though if I could just post the iso itself, but I'll let the mods give the call on what's allowed.

You can see the first episode of the let's play here! - https://youtu.be/PPR0MkCjtNU . I've taken a break from making the videos while hacking the game, but now that English characters are finally in the game, I'll start recording again soon. Gonna have partial translations in the game since some lines are easier to understand after a bit of context. Oddly enough I've spent a lot of time hacking this game but I still haven't even beaten it yet >.<

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Terrific progress! That font is more than adequate for the task at hand -- I actually rather like the way it looks. :)

I've never been clear on how we'd handle patching 3DO ROMs, given the encryption problem. ROMHacking.net doesn't allow ISOs, but what's the alternative in this case? I guess it'd probably be an .exe that handles the decompression, patching, and recompression, but that rules out Mac users like me and seems awfully dicey.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 am

Got a Japanese FZ-10 off eBay since I haven't had a 3DO in years! Got a few games I want to replay on it, but first thing was testing if Dr. Hauzer ran in English on it. Success! I was a bit worried at first since it hung on a black screen after the 3DO logo for ~5 seconds, but it came up shortly after. It's interesting playing the game on a physical 3DO instead of a gaming desktop. Didn't realize the disc would have to seek every time you open the menu. Surprisingly though the custom background track I inserted sounds really smooth and clear running on the physical 3DO. I was expecting a drop in quality, so was pleasantly surprised. Loading times exist at the doors now though sadly, but that's not a big deal. Just being spoiled by my desktop running the game stupid fast :P.

Also as you can see in the screenshots, I discovered the locations of all the item/menu strings for the game as well! I had to write a short java program to scan a directory of files, read everything in as hex code, then report if it found a search term in any files. Searching everything as hex makes it character encoding independent, which helped a lot. Turns out all those strings are stored in "launchme" in the root of the disc. They're buried in the middle of what looks like garbage to a human, so I must have overlooked it. Got a couple item names in, still got a lot to go. Translating Use and Examine in the inventory makes things already look a lot better. It's a little trickier translating the room names and item names though since I have to preserve bytes, so this might take a bit of time to do correctly.

Got permission from 3DOKid to post the translated ROM directly here since it's a contribution to the community. So that'll simplify things :D

As for things left to do after:
- I still need to figure out how to open the image files and see if I can translate those. I found a few with a .img extension, but from reading the forums I'm assuming it'll be a .cel file in reality. I saw someone wrote a gimp plugin, but I don't have my environment set up to compile the raw C code so I've been putting that off.
- The splash screen is still the default homebrew one, should probably make a better one.
- When I run the game on 4DO, it reads as "Unknown Game" instead of "Dr. Hauzer" like the unmodified disc does. This breaks save states, but regular saving works just fine. I would like to fix this for polish if possible.
- Actually beat the game. Working on it, having too much fun digging into the game files :D
Attachments
IMG_20160217_181619.jpg
Save menu with English text.
IMG_20160217_181619.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 23272 times
IMG_20160217_181559.jpg
Dr. Hauzer running on an actual 3do!
IMG_20160217_181559.jpg (155.73 KiB) Viewed 23272 times

Aer Fixus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Aer Fixus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:45 am

Excellent! I've been getting more and more excited to play this.

Kyosho
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Kyosho » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:26 am

Fantastic work. Really looking forward to playing through this in English some day.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:58 am

When I run the game on 4DO, it reads as "Unknown Game" instead of "Dr. Hauzer" like the unmodified disc does. This breaks save states, but regular saving works just fine. I would like to fix this for polish if possible.
This is easily fixed by adding a game entry for it in 4DO's game database and then recompiling 4DO. It's been a long time since I have messed with it, but i remember it being quite straight-forward. Best to do this once you have a finalized version though, any changes will re-break it.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:24 pm

BryWI wrote:
When I run the game on 4DO, it reads as "Unknown Game" instead of "Dr. Hauzer" like the unmodified disc does. This breaks save states, but regular saving works just fine. I would like to fix this for polish if possible.
This is easily fixed by adding a game entry for it in 4DO's game database and then recompiling 4DO. It's been a long time since I have messed with it, but i remember it being quite straight-forward. Best to do this once you have a finalized version though, any changes will re-break it.
Oh nice, didn't realize it was related to 4DO specifically and not an issue with the rom. I'll look into that once everything's done then, thanks!

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 pm

So one "important" question before I release the beta this weekend:

What does the Oil Can do? I'm running through the game a second time right now fixing off-center lines and rapidly spinning items, but I realized I never used it...

Saffron
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Saffron » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Congrats on the translation work! I'm looking forward to try the beta :D

If you want to edit cel files, you can use this tool to extract them to BMP: http://altmer.arts-union.ru/3DO/downloa ... plorer.zip

About my OperaTool, currently it can decompile and compile ISOS, but the rom_tags part (signing and such) is not done since I didn't find any info and I didn't have time to figure it by myself. That means that although you can create and load the iso on 4DO and it would show the entire file system correctly, it would not run the game as it doesn't consider it "legal".
You can't take the sky from me

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 am

Saffron wrote:Congrats on the translation work! I'm looking forward to try the beta :D

If you want to edit cel files, you can use this tool to extract them to BMP: http://altmer.arts-union.ru/3DO/downloa ... plorer.zip

About my OperaTool, currently it can decompile and compile ISOS, but the rom_tags part (signing and such) is not done since I didn't find any info and I didn't have time to figure it by myself. That means that although you can create and load the iso on 4DO and it would show the entire file system correctly, it would not run the game as it doesn't consider it "legal".
Oh nice, this tool works great! Found some unused images from the game, so thought I'd share them. Some images imply a demo disc, so that's probably where they're from.

Now I can add the Hauzer memos to the game, so that's great! I found all the item description images too but... I really don't want to do 25 image edits for descriptions that really don't add much to the game >.>. Oddly enough I found the game ending text for when you beat the game, but I can't find the intro to the game's text. I'll dig a bit more, but I'm confused.

I have the game completed from front to back with English text and items. Went through the game last night and fixed text alignment issues. Not perfect, but better. I can probably post the beta for people to test this weekend then add the images after. Thankfully the Hauzer memos are already translated from the let's play, so should be able to just insert them.
Attachments
Nowloading.png
Nowloading.png (32.44 KiB) Viewed 23026 times
title.png
title.png (43.61 KiB) Viewed 23026 times
gameover.png
gameover.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 23026 times

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 am

Do you know if there's a program for converting BMPs to CEL files? I tried using the MakeBanner to convert the first journal in the game to the CEL format, but the game crashes when I look at the image. It appears that the image extracted from the game is a 32 bit BMP, but the MakeBanner tool requires the image to be 24 bit. Not sure of a better way to try making a 32 bit CEL image.

Looks like there's the gimp plugin; I'll have to see if i can figure out how to compile that on Windows.

Once this issue is solved I can insert the journal entries! I feel the plot in the journals adds a lot to the game that you miss out on if you just play through it. Not to mention the ending makes no sense without the context :P. I'll post the first journal here at least~
Attachments
Page1.png
Hauzer Memo 1 Page 1
Page1.png (115.27 KiB) Viewed 23007 times
Page2.png
Hauzer Memo 1 Page 2
Page2.png (112.23 KiB) Viewed 23007 times
Page3.png
Hauzer Memo 1 Page 3
Page3.png (113.56 KiB) Viewed 23007 times
Last edited by ArcaneAria on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:32 am

And the 4th page, since attachments are limited to 3.
Attachments
Page4.png
Hauzer Memo 1 Page 4
Page4.png (112.58 KiB) Viewed 23007 times

FantasyNik
SPAMMER

Post by FantasyNik » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Hello. I tried to alter the picture in CEL.
Must work.
https://yadi.sk/d/CXMgqyZrqbbDN

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:43 pm

FantasyNik wrote:Hello. I tried to alter the picture in CEL.
Must work.
https://yadi.sk/d/CXMgqyZrqbbDN
I haven't tried yours out yet since blabla posted the tools in the other thread and I got it working. Sorry, should have posted here about that >.<
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... =21&t=3720

Out of curiosity though, what did you use to convert the images?

Also, for anyone reading this thread, the first beta has been released, check it out in the other thread!
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... =21&t=3720