Doctor Hauzer English 1.0 Released!

Tools and projects
ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Doctor Hauzer Beta Test Thread

Post by ArcaneAria » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 pm

goldenband wrote:This is great! I assume I can use a standard 3DO cue file to burn this?
Yeah, should be able to burn it and run it without any issues. Tested it with my Japanese FZ-10 and it worked just fine. The load times are painful at times though, so 4DO gives a much smoother experience :D

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:33 am

Off Topic: Long load times on a CDR might mean the laser is dying out. It's usually the first sign. It will probably still run originals fine though i bet. CDRs will kill the laser quicker than original discs though.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm

BryWI wrote:Off Topic: Long load times on a CDR might mean the laser is dying out. It's usually the first sign. It will probably still run originals fine though i bet. CDRs will kill the laser quicker than original discs though.
Entirely possible, I don't have any other 3DO to test against so I can't really verify if it's the game or the console. I hear the disc spin up whenever I access the inventory, which then loads after it spins. Seems a bit weird to do that but not that strange either.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:03 am

BryWI wrote:Off Topic: Long load times on a CDR might mean the laser is dying out. It's usually the first sign.
Yep, I can vouch for this. This is exactly what happened to my system. Started reading CDrs slower.. and slower.. and.. then it stopped reading all together.

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Doctor Hauzer English 1.0 Released!

Post by ArcaneAria » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:54 pm

Very sorry for the long delay, but the final build is now released, just in time for Halloween! I edited the first post of this thread with the download links, so check it out!

Next steps:
  • Try posting the rom on a rom website so people can find it. Not sure which sites will allow the rom to be posted or if I'll have to make a patch of the iso.
    Add an entry for the final release into 4DO so it knows how to save things.

Arjak
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Arjak » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Congrats on the release! :D

I'd recommend making patches and submitting them to romhacking.net. That would really help get your work noticed, and might even enable you to find someone who can help with those cutscenes!

Arjak
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Arjak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Hey, ArcaneAria.

I recently bought a copy of Doctor Hauzer, and seeing how it was on my mind, I decided randomly to take another look around the disc to see if anything could be done about those cutscenes.

From what I can tell, the cutscenes that contain untranslated text are all in the OrgData\stream folder, and are as follows:

MSDS - Opening text on a black background that appears upon start of new game.

OPDS - Cutscene that plays upon booting the game.

PADDS - Video control tutorial

STDS - Adam approaches and enters the mansion.

I've found a way to rip the video frames into bitmap images using 3DOResExplorer, so I can't help but wonder if we might be able to somehow edit the images to include English text and then rebuild the video with the new images. Is that possible? If we could somehow do a test with MSDS, which is literally just white text on a black background with fades, I think we could stand a chance of really finishing up this project!

ArcaneAria
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ArcaneAria » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Arjak wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 pm
Hey, ArcaneAria.

I recently bought a copy of Doctor Hauzer, and seeing how it was on my mind, I decided randomly to take another look around the disc to see if anything could be done about those cutscenes.

From what I can tell, the cutscenes that contain untranslated text are all in the OrgData\stream folder, and are as follows:

MSDS - Opening text on a black background that appears upon start of new game.

OPDS - Cutscene that plays upon booting the game.

PADDS - Video control tutorial

STDS - Adam approaches and enters the mansion.

I've found a way to rip the video frames into bitmap images using 3DOResExplorer, so I can't help but wonder if we might be able to somehow edit the images to include English text and then rebuild the video with the new images. Is that possible? If we could somehow do a test with MSDS, which is literally just white text on a black background with fades, I think we could stand a chance of really finishing up this project!
Sorry, just saw your reply! I'm currently working with CyberRep (his account still needs approval here) who is working on a Portuguese translation of Dr. Hauzer. He found a tool called ZStream CHUNKS reader which seems to have the ability to convert avi files to streams. The stream to avi didn't quite work right for me, but I still need to test if I can make an avi file and have it convert to a stream. ZStreams can be found here: http://altmer.arts-union.ru/3DO/3do_utils.htm

He also set up a VM with an old mac version that has some 3do tools, including SANMAKER which seems to be able to convert a directory of .cel images into a .anim file. That would be a bit harder since you'd have to make more bmps for every frame, but still doable. You could even use a video editor then convert the .avi file into many .bmp files, then convert those over or something.

Sounds like there's most likely a path forward but still more testing to be done!

Also, I created a discord server for 3DO translations that he and I are currently using. While he's working on Dr Hauzer, I've been figuring out how Blue Forest Story works with some initial success but still some more technical work before I can start really translating. If anyone is interested, either in helping out or just hanging out, the server is https://discord.gg/5hsxPsn . Currently it's just us two, so very quiet :P

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 am

There is an updated version of Zstream at the end of this thread....

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopi ... 841#p39841

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm

ArcaneAria wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm
I've been figuring out how Blue Forest Story works with some initial success but still some more technical work before I can start really translating.
Hey, that's great news! :D

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:03 am

goldenband wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm
ArcaneAria wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm
I've been figuring out how Blue Forest Story works with some initial success but still some more technical work before I can start really translating.
Hey, that's great news! :D
Indeed! That's one I wouldn't mind giving a try (in English!). :)