If we can sign discs...Policenauts translation patch?

What would you like to see done?
awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

If we can sign discs...Policenauts translation patch?

Post by awbacon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 pm

I've been jealous of the translation patch Policenauts got for the PS1 version. I really dont want to mod my PS2 to play backups, and since I own Policenauts for the 3DO, I'd love a patched version for it.

So whats really stopping us? (technically I mean) Since the dialogue is already translated, how hard do you think it would be to change the 3DO code for the patch? Probably alot harder than I imagine

Just musing how I'd love to play english Policenauts on my 3DO

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:20 pm

You might want to look at these:

Fansubbing 3DO games.
Policenauts english patch is out (PSX version)
OfManNotMachine wrote:I'd really love to see a 3DO version. I believe they planned on doing them all, however the 3DO version was going to be done last.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:31 pm

I'll have to load up my policenauts disc and see if I cant find where the text is stored in the game. Maybe it wouldn't be as brutal as I expect (nah, probably is) if the text is editable like 3doKid said Dr. Hauser is

sparker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by sparker » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:10 pm

I think it should be possible. A guy online has translated Lucienne's Quest into Russian! I only speak English, so can't comment on how well it works but it shows that it can be done.

Link to screenshot: http://savepic.ru/1860261.htm

I'd love to see copies of Dr Hauzer and policenauts in English, and maybe even Belzerion.

For info on the Russian version of Lucienne's Quest, try googling '3DO Lucienne's Quest (Русская версия)'.

The Russian text translates as Russian Version.

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 am

next night my gf closes at work, I'll load up the disc and start picking files apart, just to see if I can understand how the text is stored within the file structure.

From there, I guess I will at least better understand what type of undertaking it would be to try to convert the language over. If its like dr hauser, I'd at least be willing to give it a try

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:12 am

I think I downloaded that Russian translation a while ago. I'll have to see if it was saved during the second HDD crash.

UPDATE: I do still have it. However it doesn't seem to work even with the hacked BIOS. I'm taking it apart to see if I can get it to run.

UPDATE 2: I've tried but I can't get it to run at all. I just don't know enough about this. Maybe it's been modded so that it only works on PAL systems?
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

awbacon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by awbacon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

I've been really busy lately, but hopefully midweek I will have a chance to sit down and pop policenauts in and pull the disc apart, and at least see if I cant find where the text is located within the disc itself

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Any progress on this? I'd love to be able to play policenauts and understand what's going on.

If it were only as easy as taking the text files and running them through google transalate.
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Dreygor
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dreygor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Ever wonder if there's a bunch of Japanese guys sitting around going "I wish one of you a-holes knew how to speak english so we could transalate this damn game"?
Become part of The 3DO Initiative! <-- Click on link!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm

I might be wrong, but it feels like the Japanese dont really have a real reason to learn english. Japan doesnt seem to have much interest in the outside world in general, and they have most things covered in the domestic market etc.. So anyone in japan who is very good at english, is most likely someone who has to be, due to work etc.

So i kinda doubt they ask eachother if they speak english in order to translate a game.. Not that there are that many games not released in japan, that would interest them i think..

Again, I could be wrong though.

MakillaGorilla
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MakillaGorilla » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Ive been wanting to play this game for easily going on 15 years now. I know the ps1 version is translated (at least in some regard) but I always wanted to play a Hideo Kojima game on my 3DO, is that weird?
'Did that guy just say he thinks rings are cool!?!?'

Most Desired Games:
-Out of This World (longbox) -Alone in the Dark (longbox) -Lucienne's Quest (longbox) -Killing Time (longbox) -Robinson's Requiem (longbox) -Strahl (longbox) -Dragon Lore (longbox) -Star Control II (longbox) -Sailor Moon (JPN) -Doctor Hauzer (JPN) -Montana Jones (JPN)

Paranoia Dragon
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Paranoia Dragon » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 am

MakillaGorilla wrote:Ive been wanting to play this game for easily going on 15 years now. I know the ps1 version is translated (at least in some regard) but I always wanted to play a Hideo Kojima game on my 3DO, is that weird?
I second that motion! I've always for some reason wanted to play it on the 3DO, & nothing but the 3DO. Kind of like how I've always wanted to play Snatcher on the TG/PCE, not Sega-CD or MSX or whatever.

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 am

I too would play it if there were a 3do version. Some reason the PlayStation fansub interests me far less.

Well heck. Dr. Hauser should be translatable. I'd settle for that!

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm

I have it patched so you can play on a CF PSP. It's worth playing through it even if it is not 3DO.