Having trouble playing CD back-ups on my FZ-10 3DO.

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Having trouble playing CD back-ups on my FZ-10 3DO.

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

For whatever reason when I insert a burned game now, it takes me to the CD insertion screen. Last night the console allowed me to play as many CD-R's as I want. At first I thought the laser had it, so I tried an original for one of my games and it worked. Hopefully the console is fine for originals, I just got it yesterday. But what about back-ups? Is there a certain trick for getting them to work? Is it healthy to play back-up games on 3DO?

This console is RGB-modded btw, NTSC Japanese version. Also have an American FZ-10 without RGB option. The thing is I had a similar problem with the American one the other day, please I just got this RGB machine and was told the mod was professionally installed. Any suggestions?

Almost forgot to mention, don't know if this helps but every back-up CD I have with the exception of Bishoujo Senshi Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon "S" are the U.S. versions. What do you guys make of it?

NOTE: I played all the American games first, then I played the Sailor Moon Japanese game. Not sure if this had anything to do with it. Oddly enough I just tried one of my U.S. games again and and it finally worked. I don't get it at all. Is this recommended? To play CD burns on 3DO? Could it damage the laser or motor? As I understand those are near impossible to replace. Wouldn't want to endanger any of that.
~Panasonic 3DO R.E.A.L. Interactive Multiplayer~

Aw yeah. 3DO is the real deal.

prabmire
3DO ZERO USER

Post by prabmire » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:38 pm

My 3do doesnt play any burns i've made be it ISOs burnt from the net, or direct copies of games i own it sucks majorly, could be down to the cheap discs i'm used to using! i'll try with better discs and see what happens either way original discs only for me, besides i've been told playing backups has more wear and tear on the laser

Prab

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 am

The laser does have to work harder to read CDRs.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 am

BryWI wrote:The laser does have to work harder to read CDRs.
Damn, well that sucks catastrophically! Here I was trying to preserve my pride and joy. Just played SSF2T on the original disc, thankfully it works fine. But two of my disc burns failed big time, then again, those were older burns. I haven't tried out my new burner yet, got a stack of CD's waiting to be made.

3DO didn't seem to work as hard while playing the CD back-up for Sailor Moon, I wonder if it depends on the game. In anycase this blows, it means I'll have to buy duplicate just incase copies and suit them up with protection (d-skin disc protectors) collecting every game I own will be a pain since Ebay loves price hikes. Albeit I just got this RGB console, whatever it takes to keep it running is necessary.

Now that I think about it, I had a third FZ-10 console that broke a while back. It worked for years until I discovered the wonders of burning software, so I tried the back-up method on my 3DO. Seemed neat at the time. Shortly after I remember it breaking. (Gah!) I initially thought it died from old age but CD-R's could have been the cause. Once that thing breaks, there's almost no chance of bringing it back from the dead. Anyway I'll be careful from now on.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to buy duplicates of games. CDs aren't THAT fragile. The original discs will last for a lifetime of enjoyment if handled with care, I think thats how the saying goes. So in other words, no using it to scrape old food off of someones table. And perhaps using the discs to blind drivers isn't such a great idea either.

MrAshDarksideTM
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MrAshDarksideTM » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:25 pm

BryWI wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to buy duplicates of games. CDs aren't THAT fragile. The original discs will last for a lifetime of enjoyment if handled with care, I think thats how the saying goes. So in other words, no using it to scrape old food off of someones table. And perhaps using the discs to blind drivers isn't such a great idea either.

What he said, I use my original disks exclusively and they are all still pretty much in perfect shape. Just take care of em and you're fine.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return.

Virtual Audio QSound
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Virtual Audio QSound » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:53 pm

Thing is I do take care of them, I just become paranoid when it comes to this sort of thing. But maybe your right... I should just stop worrying and concentrate on buying newer 3DO games.

This caught me off guard because unless it's cartridge, I'm so used to playing back-ups for Saturn, Neo CD, DC, and PS1. I would just leave the originals in my CD stand for show, before 3DO was no exception to this rule. But I guess I shouldn't expect all older disc-based systems to fall in line. 3DO will be the only hardware I play originals on as it's a special case. I am not jeopardizing my laser or motor, ever again!

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 am

Has anybody here had there 3DO stop working due to using backups? Does it put THAT much strain on the laser?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am

I ran mostly backups and over time the laser got worse. I cant say it was because of the backups but it's harder for the drive to read backups as opposed to originals. That is true.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:58 am

I hardly have any backups, save for some impossible to find import stuff. Sticking to originals is a good rule of thumb, and if you are patient and determined you can find almost anything.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 am

Trev wrote:... and if you are patient and determined you can find almost anything.

Very patient indeed. I've been collecting for 11 years now and there have been quite a few items that I was actively looking for over 5 years for before I found.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am

What were some of the toughest things for you to find?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:21 pm

There are many many things that are very difficult to find for 3DO.

Just a couple of quick examples - There were some combination game + 3DO mouse pack releases that are extremely difficult to come by. They came in a box a little larger than the size of a 3DO game gun box. I've seen a couple of different packs, but I only own one of them. I've got a picture that will be going up in my collection thread shortly.

The 3DO steering wheel is another item that is next to impossible to come by. I had been looking everywhere for years and then I ran into Lemmi. :D
I bought it off of him back in 2007 and was/am very thankful that he helped me out with that.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:55 pm

is there a pot for laser strength on the 3DO's?
I've had to adjust this on Sega CD's and other CD consoles to get better reads of backups.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:19 pm

sneth wrote:is there a pot for laser strength on the 3DO's?

Yes, all models have pots for the usual laser adjustments.