Panasonic FZ-1 Will not play backup's, Will play burnt Music

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
amnesiac284
3DO ZERO USER

Panasonic FZ-1 Will not play backup's, Will play burnt Music

Post by amnesiac284 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm looking for something I haven't tried here cuz I am absolutely clueless. The system works playing the original games and will play burnt music cd's burnt onto any brand. However it won't play any burnt games, even those that are straight backups. before you give me the usual advice you should know, i've already tried several brands, sony, tdk, memorex, maxell, etc. i've tried almost every write speed 1x-48x. I've tried TAO, RAW, you name it. i've tried burning from 3 different computers with cd burners and have used just about every cd burning and iso writing program there is. I must be missing something as the laser is obviously fine(i've cleaned it just incase, to no avail). im hoping someone can help. thank you.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat May 12, 2012 9:10 pm

have you tried the search function on the forum?

amnesiac284
3DO ZERO USER

Post by amnesiac284 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:59 pm

how do you think i learned everything i just tried?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat May 12, 2012 10:04 pm

amnesiac284 wrote:how do you think i learned everything i just tried?
Wait--what? You had to use the search function to burn an ISO?

[insert facepalm image here]

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :D :lol:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun May 13, 2012 2:51 am

Just because it can read a music CDR or original disc and does not mean the laser is fine. Reading an audio CD is a 1x analog read. Thats MUCH MUCH easier than a 2x digital data read from any CDR for a laser unit that isn't that great even when brand new. It is also much easier to read an original disc versus a CDR. You have used search so you should know all of this. This is the fate of most 3DO units. This case is even more so when you are using is CDRs very frequently. It's the quickest way to strain your laser to the point where yours is at. I've done it myself to my 3do. Mine will also onlyl play original discs for the most part.

Your options...

Replace the laser. You have used search function, so that means you should know that this effort is pretty much not feasible.

Find another 3DO. Your best bet is going to be "new in box"if you want to do is play burned discs.

Use an original disc for the game you are trying to play.

Get an FZ-10 and the hard drive mod. I have a feeling that it wont be the easiest to obtain...

Use an emulator.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:22 am

FWIW, in some cases I've found that CDR vs. original disc isn't quite as cut-and-dried as the above post makes it sound. I've definitely noticed that my Sega CD unit actually gets a better read from quality CDRs (Taiyo Yuden), burned at low or low-ish speed, than from original Sega CD games in sub-optimal condition. Even lightly scratched original Sega CDs are, in my experience, often outperformed by clean burns.

That said, the Sega CD spins at 1x -- and in any event the 3DO is a different kettle of fish. I definitely know my first FZ-1 (which I just gave to my brother) works harder when reading CDRs, even low-speed burns on high-quality media; it has a very hard time with average-quality CDRs, e.g. Sony, and sometimes won't boot them. (It does better when it's "warmed up" with a real/pressed disc for 15-30 minutes first.)

OTOH, my newer FZ-1 reads burns like a champ, even on cheap media. I'm curious to find out what my just-acquired GoldStar will do (my expectations are low).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm

goldenband wrote: OTOH, my newer FZ-1 reads burns like a champ, even on cheap media. I'm curious to find out what my just-acquired GoldStar will do (my expectations are low).
You have correct expectations ... sadly. My Goldstar used to spit out burnt discs left & right. It would take multiple attempts to get it to read them. FZ-1 is the champ, Goldstar is the chump.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am

Trev wrote:You have correct expectations ... sadly. My Goldstar used to spit out burnt discs left & right. It would take multiple attempts to get it to read them. FZ-1 is the champ, Goldstar is the chump.
Bizarrely, it turned out to be the opposite: the Goldstar had no trouble with the burns I tried, either on Taiyo Yuden or on cheaper Sony media. I'd just given my brother my old FZ-1, but he asked for (and received) the Goldstar instead!

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Here's an idea - only buy and use originals and stop screwing up the few machines left. If that's too expensive then find a different hobby.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG