Sound from Headphone Jack but not TV

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
O'Sullivan
3DO ZERO USER

Sound from Headphone Jack but not TV

Post by O'Sullivan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi,

My problem is this,

A couple of weeks ago I was using earphones in the Goldstar control pad as I often do, no problems there... but when I removed the head phones later that day I could'nt get sound from the TV.

Now, I know there's a certain button combination to switch between TV and Headphone Jack as this has happened to me once before, but I can't remember what it is. I've tried everything to restore the sound to the Television but no luck.

I've looked everywhere for a solution but the information just does'nt seem to exist (not online anyway). Can anybody help?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm sorry, I just looked in the manual and didn't find a thing. But maybe it's a PAL unit feature.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 pm

I've never had a controller that has the headphone port so I can only throw ideas out with no basis... When using the headphone port on the controller, does it normally stop outputting any audio to the TV? If that is normal behavior, than my guess would be that the headphone port is not disengaging when the plug is pulled out. A test for this would be to use a different controller (or unplug controller?). I have no experience on how the controller headphone ports work though. Just a guess.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:09 am

3DO Experience wrote:I'm sorry, I just looked in the manual and didn't find a thing. But maybe it's a PAL unit feature.
I looked too and couldn't find anything.

You said you weren't able to get sound from your TV since ... but is there still sound when you use headphones in the controller?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

O'Sullivan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by O'Sullivan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:32 am

Yes, the sound is still coming through the headphone jack when I plug it in, and I've also been playing my Amiga CD32 on the same TV with sound so atleast I know it's not the TV that has the problem. I've tried unplugging the 3DO and I've tried using the Logic 3 controller which does'nt have a jack but still no sound other than from the jack.

As I said, this has happened once before, last time I sat for about 2 hours doing as many button combinations as I could think of and suddenly the sound kicked in, so I pressume it must be a feature and not a fault. I've had no luck this time around though.

*Incidently both times the sound has cut off I've been playing the original Sampler CD (the one with the purple cover) so I wonder if it's something to do with that? Who knows :?
The 32-bit Pilot

O'Sullivan
3DO ZERO USER

Post by O'Sullivan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Out of nowhere. The sound has just kicked back in!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Don't think I'll be using the headphone jack again for quite some time :lol:
The 32-bit Pilot

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

O'Sullivan wrote:Out of nowhere. The sound has just kicked back in!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Don't think I'll be using the headphone jack again for quite some time :lol:
Good to know it resolved itself. Would have been nice to figure out what caused it, but all's well that end's well. :)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5