No video or sound from 3DO fz-1 / Testing Station console

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
dark
3DO ZERO USER

No video or sound from 3DO fz-1 / Testing Station console

Post by dark » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Crossposting this from my thread in the main forum.

I have a 3DO FZ-1 testing unit console that I bought off ebay. The seller said it had disc reading problems, and showed it in pictures hooked up to a TV displaying the 3DO logo, the REAL logo, and the disc tray open graphic.

Well now that I've got my hands on it - I can't get any video display or sound out of it at all.

I've tried different video (red yellow white) cables, different TVs, changing the channel switch on the back of the console, I've switched the Testing Unit's switch for encrypted/unencrypted booting, and I also tried it on a TV connected through a nintendo RF Unit - all variations displayed absolutely no video or sound whatsoever. Instead, it would display a completely flat dark grey screen with a few very thin light grey lines around the top. On a different TV that shows a blue screen when it isn't receiving vid input, it would show the TV's blue screen, but it would jump a bit with lines of static? And when connected with the RF Unit to an old TV, the white snow would turn to dark grey snow...

The console powers on fine, and after opening it up, I can see the disc spinning and hear the laser reading a little. The laser mechanism will reset itself if I move it, and if I have the tray open when the console boots up, the console will automatically close the tray, the fan works and has power. So the system isn't a complete brick - I just don't know what could be causing this video issue, especially if it is something that got loose in shipping if the video output worked for the prior owner (based on the auction pics)...

Anyone have any ideas whatsoever?

retrotech
3DO ZERO USER

Re: No video or sound from 3DO fz-1 / Testing Station consol

Post by retrotech » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:59 pm

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/view ... =25&t=3295
try what i did here...its worth a go :D

dark
3DO ZERO USER

Post by dark » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Nice work. I've long since sold this (as broken) to another 3DO enthusiast. But I know your post will help other users googling for this problem. While searching, I discovered a few other topics on different forums from years past with people who had the same problem, but no solution. :)

retrotech
3DO ZERO USER

Post by retrotech » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm

i was doing the googling a few months ago and didnt find anything, so just trying to stop people trashing easily fixable consoles :)