FZ1 memory question/s

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

FZ1 memory question/s

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:40 pm

How can I tell if the memory on my F 1 is just full or, is needing repaired/replaced? I have total eclipse and doom and both play with no warning that memory is full does anyone know if I should be getting a warning? Also, if I get the memory unit will it be in Japanese as the console is?
Finally, do road rash gex offworld interceptor or ssf2 turbo have a memory manager built into them? Thanks if anyone can help

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: FZ1 memory question/s

Post by Martin III » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 pm

With Total Eclipse you should definitely not be getting a warning, since the game doesn't use memory in any way. Don't know about Doom.

I don't remember if Gex has a memory manager or not; most 3DO titles with a memory manager don't let you use it unless memory is full. Wing Commander III and 3DO Game Guru are the only exceptions I know of.

You should definitely check out the "If you need a MEMORY MANAGER..." thread, stickied at the top.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I can confirm gex is one of the games that lets you access a memory manager if yours is full. Road rash doom all saving fine. Gex however is not! Really enjoying it and completed all the levels and boss on first world went back to the level that has VCR under it on the map picked up the tape and thought 8) my progress is now saved for me to go back to later. But it wasn't :x
I thought it was odd so did it again. Saved turned console off left it a short time back on and it said five levels done on video deck one. So few hours later went to play again and it's gone! Anyone any idea why this could be happening when all my other games are saving ok? Pretty disappointed as was really enjoying it and could see myself playing through. Not happy at maybe needing to do so in one go :|

Any help is much appreciated

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Dang, that is a frustrating problem. I wish I knew more about this stuff, but unfortunately the only suggestion I can make is that if you have a 3DO Game Guru, you can make a back up copy of the save. One other thing, though, is that you said you completed the first boss and then "went back". Don't you get a save VCR from the boss?

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 am

I love the console so will persevere!
When you beat a boss you get a remote. Is strange this week I played it again and thought will try not changing game after save and not turn machine off at wall, went to sleep and eight levels done save was still there 8)
So continued and got to the first level on jungle which handily includes a video which I found. Saved again turned it off and on again after few minutes and now had twelve levels done
feeling optimistic it was maybe working left it an hour turned it on again and it was all gone :twisted:

Could the memory on the console just be faulty or for some reason the pal doom save is corrupting the gex saves? How much space of the 32k would gex use? I want to get the official memory manager and or game guru at some point do you know it the memory manager allows you to transfer stuff from the console to the memory manager then back again like say an action replay on Saturn? Really want to play it is annoying but I will hopefully figure it out in time

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:12 am

Sounds like the battery for the NVRAM is dead truthfully.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 am

I am thinking could be but how come doom and road rash are saving ok? If battery was gone then gex would not be only game not saving surely?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:03 pm

You are absolutely sure those saves are still in NVRAM? If so, I have no clue.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah they are saving as when I play doom I can choose any of the levels and it saves my screen size preference etc and in big game mode on road rash my save file is always there and loads. It's just gex :?
Not sure if is relevant but I used gex to delete everything that was on the internal memory. I bought the machine from Japan and it turned out the memory was full so that was first time accessing/deleting stuff from it. I don't know how or if doing that has maybe caused the issue. Think only option will be to try and get the memory manager or just delete the stuff I have with a disc that lets you access it like game guru and then with nothing on it try and save gex and if problem persists I would be out of ideas.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Can anyone say how much of the 32k doom and road rash would use?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:31 am

Retrofanatic83 wrote: Could the memory on the console just be faulty or for some reason the pal doom save is corrupting the gex saves? How much space of the 32k would gex use? I want to get the official memory manager and or game guru at some point do you know it the memory manager allows you to transfer stuff from the console to the memory manager then back again like say an action replay on Saturn? Really want to play it is annoying but I will hopefully figure it out in time
Sorry I'm late in replying to this. No, the Game Guru is software, a physical CD like any of the 3DO's games, so it just allows you to manipulate what's in the 3DO's internal memory. Thinking it over again, a 3DO memory cartridge might be more helpful to you than the Game Guru. The memory cartridge is really hard to find since it was only released in Japan, but the Game Guru isn't exactly common either. Sorry I can't offer better help. :(
Retrofanatic83 wrote:Can anyone say how much of the 32k doom and road rash would use?
Road Rash only uses 0.1k per save slot. Don't know about Doom, but given all it saves is level progress, it must be well under 0.5k too.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Cheers Martin. I am after the memory manager def not cheap the ones ive seen but cool and worth having in long run should be able to sort it out just seems weird it won't save the one game.

Editing as samurai showdown is also saving my high scores and having changed the language from Japanese to English. Why won't Gex save! I'm going to have one more go tonight before I give up until I get a memory manager

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sat May 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Retrofanatic83 wrote:Cheers Martin. I am after the memory manager def not cheap the ones ive seen but cool and worth having in long run should be able to sort it out just seems weird it won't save the one game.

Editing as samurai showdown is also saving my high scores and having changed the language from Japanese to English. Why won't Gex save! I'm going to have one more go tonight before I give up until I get a memory manager
Any resolve for this. I'm having a similar weird Quarantine problem though its not saving at all.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

I got the official memory unit. Copied gex save data to there and so far it's somehow not deleted from the console since installing the memory unit. Worth getting if you can and are into the machine enough to ultimately end up with lots of games/needing more than is in the console.

Versus

Post by Versus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:53 am

Also is possible to manually write to paper or to notepad all data in HEX (use GameGuru). Later it can be restored using the same GameGuru on the other console.