Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 Drive Switch

Got a problem with your 3DO? Ask!
AlphaDangerDen
3DO ZERO USER

Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 Drive Switch

Post by AlphaDangerDen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello everybody, I recently acquired an FZ-10 in pristine condition. However, when I turned the system on and put in a game, nothing happens. So being the nerd I am, I opened the system to find that the lever from the switch for the CD drive had been broken off (lever was rattling around in the system). The repair is pretty easy, desolder old switch, solder in new switch. The problem here is I have no idea where to get the replacement part, there's no writing AT ALL on the switch that comes with the system. Any help is appreciated.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Panasonic 3DO FZ-10 Drive Switch

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Are you sure it's the switch? With mine, the tiny actuator (if that's what you want to call it) on the drive door snapped off. When the drive door is closed, this actuator presses on a switch just below the drive bay that activates the CD drive.

I chopped up a plastic riser/spacer I use on my pinball machines to make a new actuator. I used CA glue to mount it to the same spot where the old one was. It's been working fine, although I am making sure to be careful with closing the drive door as to not snap it off again.

AlphaDangerDen
3DO ZERO USER

Post by AlphaDangerDen » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:59 am

Austin wrote:Are you sure it's the switch? With mine, the tiny actuator (if that's what you want to call it) on the drive door snapped off. When the drive door is closed, this actuator presses on a switch just below the drive bay that activates the CD drive.

I chopped up a plastic riser/spacer I use on my pinball machines to make a new actuator. I used CA glue to mount it to the same spot where the old one was. It's been working fine, although I am making sure to be careful with closing the drive door as to not snap it off again.

Hello Austin, I'm for sure that it's the switch. With this post is a picture attachment of what the switch looks like after I desoldered it (Not sure if 3264x2248 res is okay with this forum). I noticed in the 3DO episode of Game Sack that the drive switch in their FZ-10 does in fact have the lever (before that I also thought it could've been the actuator breaking or something like that). Any help is appreciated.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm

AlphaDangerDen wrote:Hello Austin, I'm for sure that it's the switch. With this post is a picture attachment of what the switch looks like after I desoldered it (Not sure if 3264x2248 res is okay with this forum). I noticed in the 3DO episode of Game Sack that the drive switch in their FZ-10 does in fact have the lever (before that I also thought it could've been the actuator breaking or something like that). Any help is appreciated.
You can resize the image and upload it to a place like Photobucket, or another similar site, then you can embed it here. :)

Acrof
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Acrof » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:56 am

I once had a problem with the mini switch that goes in the laser tray.

I found a replament for it in a very old Sony discman. Only had to solder the wire from the original switch to it and it was all good.

Here's the discman I took the switch from:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n_D121.jpg