What is the 3DOverture?

Game music of beauty, brilliance and inspiration.
3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

What is the 3DOverture?

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:21 am

3DOverture is a series of 3DO game soundtracks aiming for the highest quality preservation possible. Some of these soundtracks have been available here before but in lower quality and possibly a different configuration. 3DOvertures are to be considered final versions so there will not be multiple revisions such as what happened with Killing Time.*

These will be available only be available in FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) format. If you don't currently have a player that supports this format you can get the codec here, or alternatively you can download Winamp, my audio player of choice. If you want to burn these directly to CD and have Nero use the Cole 2k plugin. Any other usage you can always convert them back into wav files.

Another treat is that each soundtrack comes with jewel case inserts. They have a matching design and will be made with both CD-ROM and Audio CDs in mind. Just in case the tracks have to be split onto more than one Audio CD. These are in full 300dpi and will be made available in both TIFF & JPEG.

These will take time to be made, some tracks may be from sources other than the 3DO discs to ensure higher quality. So it may be a while before the particular OST you are wishing for gets released. Requests will not be taken.

*Yes I am working on a new Killing Time OST, it will be a while before it is done.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Nice! :)

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 am

3DOExperience, how are you getting this music? As an obscenely devoted fan to game music, I've wondered how this is done for 3DO games.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:10 am

Unfortunately there are different ways that audio is stored, some only comes out garbled and the rest to have to hunt and play with. The easiest is when they are stored as afic files. In that case you can convert them to raw and then to wav, once you figure out the sample rate. The 3DOvertures will not all be this way, if I can find higher sources aka better files from let's say a PC version those will be used. I'm really hoping for the digital audio out mod to be up and ready so that I can buy one. Some games like Hell don't even have music stored they actually generate it with samples.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 pm

There is also a 2nd way to get the files that aren't in a compatible format using the aifc method, using (IIRC) Zstream reader.

3DOexp, If you run into any problems with certain game's audio, I can try to take a stab at them. It's been a while since I have ripped 3do audio, but I remember most of it. I can probably only attempt it on my days off though. Work and my music projects have consumed 5 days a week for me.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Yeah I've used the Zstreamer too, amd there are even more ways than those. afic is just the easiest so I mentioned it. I don't want to get into a big discussion on it though as I tried at one point to white a how-to manual and quickly got overwhelmed. I would really like to know how I got Total Eclipse. I really wish I had wrote something down.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"