Jaguar MOD

Attachment:
debug.jpg
debug.jpg [ 359.49 KiB | Viewed 4083 times ]

Here are the instructions:

Attachment:
GDB-Skunkboard-CodeBlocks_Integration.zip [669.27 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times

What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 am 
Jaguar MOD

Code::Blocks supports Linux/Windows

You should use the latest version of Vlink(Windows/Linux) with this for its jaguar elf/a.out m68k/gpu support. And following the basic setup guidelines in the 'how to use the m68k windows gcc/elf' thread. Linux users can use the linker scripts from that same thread. Similar concept.

What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:30 am 
Jaguar MOD

A few things came up. Jserve did something that pissed windows off. I found out my skunkboard files are somehow out of date???

I'll have to update the bios.

I will work with this more later. Almost had it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:45 am 
Jaguar MOD

I'll bet there is a way in there somewhere to open a command window and then launch the jserve interface automatically.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 pm 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
I'll bet there is a way in there somewhere to open a command window and then launch the jserve interface automatically.

You can also use the Tools+ option available in Code::Blocks to launch jserve with parameters if needed and if you use the new jserve.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:19 pm 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
A few things came up. Jserve did something that pissed windows off. I found out my skunkboard files are somehow out of date???

I'll have to update the bios.

I will work with this more later. Almost had it.

Do you plan to use the new jserve 32 bits or 64 bits?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:21 pm 
Jaguar MOD

flynn wrote:
a31chris wrote:

You can also use the Tools+ option available in Code::Blocks to launch jserve with parameters if needed and if you use the new jserve.

I think a command window needs to be kept open as well doesn't it? Or not? I would need one to make sure Jserve is pending a connection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 pm 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
flynn wrote:
a31chris wrote:

I think a command window needs to be kept open as well doesn't it? Or not? I would need one to make sure Jserve is pending a connection.

Whatever the jserve version, it will remain open until an error has occured or until the user does a CTRL-C quit command in his window.
Opening a command window specific for jserve is a good idea, so at least, you will be able to see if jserve is still active or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:17 am 
Jaguar MOD

I am going to take another crack at this tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:51 am 
3DO ZERO USER

It seems, jserve and GDB are connected together.
I have notice there is no source file in the project, it should have at least one file from your project.
Could you provide the script list you have setupm when configuring the debugger in Code::Blocks?
Could you also provide the log created by GDB? It will be useful to see how the debug information load has worked.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:19 am 
Jaguar MOD

flynn wrote:
I have notice there is no source file in the project, it should have at least one file from your project.
Could you provide the script list you have setupm when configuring the debugger in Code::Blocks?
Could you also provide the log created by GDB? It will be useful to see how the debug information load has worked.

script list? I'm not sure on your meaning? Do you mean the debug options where I pointed files at load c:\stuff\m68k-elf\hello2\jagelf.bin or something else?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:32 am 
Jaguar MOD

Where does gdb put its log files? I don't see them in the m68k-elf bin folder...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:42 am 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
flynn wrote:

script list? I'm not sure on your meaning? Do you mean the debug options where I pointed files at load c:\stuff\m68k-elf\hello2\jagelf.bin or something else?

I'm referring to the Debugger initialization commands in the Debugger settings. If you can provide a screenshot of the Debugger settings window, it may be helpful as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 am 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
Where does gdb put its log files? I don't see them in the m68k-elf bin folder...

Simply copy/paste the text present in the log window of the debugger (the one shown on your screenshot) but provide it in full.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:13 am 
Jaguar MOD

flynn wrote:
a31chris wrote:

Simply copy/paste the text present in the log window of the debugger (the one shown on your screenshot) but provide it in full.

ok will post it tomorrow evening.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:17 am 
Jaguar MOD

Tomorrow I will actually try tracing through it manually, or by command line to see how that works first.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:45 am 
3DO ZERO USER

The JCP seems ok, and you use it only for the reset of the Skunkboard
GDB seems loading the binary file and read the debug information, so it is safe to assume GDB is ok for the moment.

jserve, the version you have is quite old (2008) and doesn't have the communication fixes Tursi did after this release. I will recommend either to use:
1) The jserve updated version from 2013.
2) My version of jserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 am 
Jaguar MOD

flynn wrote:
The JCP seems ok, and you use it only for the reset of the Skunkboard
GDB seems loading the binary file and read the debug information, so it is safe to assume GDB is ok for the moment.

jserve, the version you have is quite old (2008) and doesn't have the communication fixes Tursi did after this release. I will recommend either to use:
1) The jserve updated version from 2013.
2) My version of jserve

ok this is my backup pc and I thought everything was updated. So I just updated it from Tursi's website and I still have the same problem. It may be a problem with my system.

Let me try everything again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:09 am 
Jaguar MOD

I updated everything and still getting the same error. How is it still saying jcp is from 2009 on my setup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:14 am 
Jaguar MOD

Yeah it works. I have to 'run as' administrator. I usually use a limited user profile but I seen in the error log it was having trouble writing a file.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:28 am 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
I updated everything and still getting the same error. How is it still saying jcp is from 2009 on my setup.

The most current JCP version, from Tursi, was done in August 2012. But since you are using JCP to reset only the Jaguar, the 2009 version should be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:32 am 
Jaguar MOD

ok I have a couple of questions here Flynn:

Code:
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=m68k-elf".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from c:\stuff\m68k-elf\hello2\jagelf.bin...done.
(gdb) target remote :4567
Remote debugging using :4567
0x00004000 in ?? ()
(gdb) load
Loading section .text, size 0x408 lma 0x4000
Loading section .data, size 0x419 lma 0x4410
Start address 0x4000, load size 2081
Transfer rate: 4 KB/sec, 148 bytes/write.
(gdb) disas
No function contains program counter for selected frame.
(gdb) break main
Function "main" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) n
(gdb) break __main
Function "__main" not defined.
(gdb) break _main
Function "_main" not defined.
(gdb) break ___main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x43a8: file jag.c, line 51.
(gdb)

When I ask it to 'disas' it's telling me there is no function counter blah blah... any ideas what that means?

what does it consider a 'future shared library'?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:34 am 
Jaguar MOD

I got three underscores right before the 'main' function. That's crazy.Hell that's wasting memory! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:36 am 
Jaguar MOD

Code:
(gdb) break ___main
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 1, ___main () at jag.c:51
51        jagscreen = (unsigned char *)&_vidmem;
(gdb) c
Continuing.

ok so I have that problem ironed out. It's executed all the way through to the 'hello jag users'.

Tomorrow I will try code::blocks again. I will have to run it in administrator mode.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:46 am 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
ok I have a couple of questions here Flynn:

Code:
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=m68k-elf".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from c:\stuff\m68k-elf\hello2\jagelf.bin...done.
(gdb) target remote :4567
Remote debugging using :4567
0x00004000 in ?? ()
(gdb) load
Loading section .text, size 0x408 lma 0x4000
Loading section .data, size 0x419 lma 0x4410
Start address 0x4000, load size 2081
Transfer rate: 4 KB/sec, 148 bytes/write.
(gdb) disas
No function contains program counter for selected frame.
(gdb) break main
Function "main" not defined.
(gdb) break __main
Function "__main" not defined.
(gdb) break _main
Function "_main" not defined.
(gdb) break ___main
(gdb)

When I ask it to 'disas' it's telling me there is no function counter blah blah... any ideas what that means?

what does it consider a 'future shared library'?

This "future shared library" means, GDB may receive additional library to load which may solve the missing/not defined _main function. You were correct to answer "no" since it was an misspelling error.

After to have load the binary with GDB, you must use the 'c' command line once then after that you will be able to disasm and/or continue the debug work. The 1st time you use the 'c' command, GDB won't launch the code application. To launch the code, you will have to do again a 'c' command.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:49 am 
3DO ZERO USER

a31chris wrote:
Code:
(gdb) break ___main
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 1, ___main () at jag.c:51
51        jagscreen = (unsigned char *)&_vidmem;
(gdb) c
Continuing.

ok so I have that problem ironed out. It's executed all the way through to the 'hello jag users'.

Tomorrow I will try code::blocks again. I will have to run it in administrator mode.

I think there is a way to setup windows applications in 'administrator' mode, so you will have to do just once. Anyway, you are on the good track. :-)
I will also update the document about the Administrator issue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:09 am 
3DO ZERO USER

Have you create the dummy project? I do not see a source code file in the Workspace. Description is in the document.
Before to launch the debug with the little arrow, have you select the correct GDB/CDB Active debugger? (in your case "Default").
You have also to select the Debug windows you want, there are selectable in the Debugging windows option.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 pm 
Jaguar MOD

flynn wrote:
Have you create the dummy project? I do not see a source code file in the Workspace. Description is in the document.
Before to launch the debug with the little arrow, have you select the correct GDB/CDB Active debugger? (in your case "Default").
You have also to select the Debug windows you want, there are selectable in the Debugging windows option.

I am pretty sure I have created the dummy project. Tonight when I get home I will start from scratch. Make sure I am not overlooking anything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:54 pm 
Jaguar MOD

I have not tried the editor for this. After I get familiar with this and get it all squared away I think I am going to try getting the editor to work so I can try it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:28 pm 
3DO ZERO USER

I do not use the editor with Code::Blocks, just do the project to allow the debugger.
I have notice there is no source code inside your project, there is may be a problem here.
I have not tried an ASM only project, but I use C/ASM ones.