New emulator - 3DOPlay

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 am

New emulator - 3DOPlay

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:29 am

There's another emulator based off FreeDO code: http://3doplay.do.am/

It looks like he's been making some fixes to the core! On top of that, it's open too! Hooray!

However, I've tried a couple versions but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anybody else had any luck?

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:37 am

I wasn't aware of this, but I'll probably take a peek at it over the weekend.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:35 am

Post by bitrate » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:11 am

I've read about this, but haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

There has also been some (minimal) work done on creating an Xbox 3DO emulator.

User avatar
JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 am

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 am

Well, if 3DOPlay is what it says it is, I could import the core emulation fixes. I can't get the dumb thing to work, though! *sigh*

User avatar
ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 am

Re: New emulator - 3DOPlay

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:02 am

JohnnyDude wrote:There's another emulator based off FreeDO code: http://3doplay.do.am/

It looks like he's been making some fixes to the core! On top of that, it's open too! Hooray!

However, I've tried a couple versions but I can't seem to get it to work. Has anybody else had any luck?
I'll stick to 4DO, I honestly don't see the point in this. I appreciate anyone who makes any effort to improve 3DO Emulation, but 4DO is running strong and well and is really close to perfection (I'm aware they're both based on FreeDO.) so I just honestly don't see this as necessary. Does anyone else know that feel?
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: New emulator - 3DOPlay

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I'll stick to 4DO, I honestly don't see the point in this. I appreciate anyone who makes any effort to improve 3DO Emulation, but 4DO is running strong and well and is really close to perfection (I'm aware they're both based on FreeDO.) so I just honestly don't see this as necessary. Does anyone else know that feel?
Well, like Johnny said, the fixes they are making in 3DOPlay could be helpful for FourDO in the end as well. So, the end result could be the ultimate 3DO emulator. Regardless of which it is--FourDO or 3DOPlay--I think that will be nice.

User avatar
BryWI
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 1329
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI, USA
Contact:

Post by BryWI » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:09 am

I was unable to get this to work on win7 64 bit. I did get it to work on Vista 32bit. IF the author makes claims to have fix Crash n Burn, that is not the case. It still does the intro preview loop forever.

I don't know if this was the emulator i ran into a little while back that I just wrote off as an exact FreeDO clone claiming to fix crash n burn and it didn't. This might be different. If there is some specific FreeDO core fixes that they claim fiexd, that you want me to verify, I can.

User avatar
JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 am

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:28 am

Hoo boy, do I have some good news.

Although I can't get 3DOPlay to run I can access the source code. And I'm trying their changes out now!

Now, don't get your hopes up too much, but at first glance this seems to have solved at least the Gex and Street Fighter II freezes! I can play Gex again! I'm sure there are more improvements.

The bad news it that their changes seem to have have brought along quite a few new issues. I know that some of their fixes are specific to Doom, for example, and I imagine the hackery it involves has payed a toll on other games. However, I am hoping that I can identify which changes are good vs. bad (trial and error if nothing else).

What a score! I feel like I've found Davy Jones' locker!

User avatar
JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 am

Re: New emulator - 3DOPlay

Post by JohnnyDude » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 am

ArfredHitchcacku wrote:I'll stick to 4DO, I honestly don't see the point in this. I appreciate anyone who makes any effort to improve 3DO Emulation, but 4DO is running strong and well and is really close to perfection (I'm aware they're both based on FreeDO.) so I just honestly don't see this as necessary. Does anyone else know that feel?
Did you just say this because you know I work on 4DO? Either way, thanks. :)

BryWI's involved too, he's been helping out a lot. We're pretty much the only two contributors currently.

User avatar
ArfredHitchcacku
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 am

Post by ArfredHitchcacku » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

JohnnyDude wrote:Hoo boy, do I have some good news.

Although I can't get 3DOPlay to run I can access the source code. And I'm trying their changes out now!

Now, don't get your hopes up too much, but at first glance this seems to have solved at least the Gex and Street Fighter II freezes! I can play Gex again! I'm sure there are more improvements.

The bad news it that their changes seem to have have brought along quite a few new issues. I know that some of their fixes are specific to Doom, for example, and I imagine the hackery it involves has payed a toll on other games. However, I am hoping that I can identify which changes are good vs. bad (trial and error if nothing else).

What a score! I feel like I've found Davy Jones' locker!
That problem's tied to Gex? Gex just happened to be the first game I felt like trying out, and when it froze, I was worried how good the emulator really was and just haven't brought it up since...Thanks for taking away my worry, and damn, keep up the great work on 4DO!
BAD

-Alfred Hitchcock Presents, 3DO

User avatar
JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:56 am

Post by JohnnyDude » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, it looks like the Gex and SF2 freezes were my mistake, so that fix isn't actually from 3DOPlay. It was a bug I accidentally made in 4DO's version of core when I imported it. Pretty much just a typo! D'oh!

I've been trying to make sense of the other changes he's made. The vast majority of the changes seem to be attempts to (unnaturally?) adjust CPU timing on-the-fly for Doom. Those changes seem to cause problems in other games, though, which really sucks.

With any luck some of the changes are real, side-effect-free changes.

Post Reply