I just have to say

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

I just have to say

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

What a fantastic job has been done on this emulator. It is really very good. I used it anger for my magazine, and i've been playing Spacehulk on it today, and it's just so smooth and works so well. Tremendous effort.

Just a thank you, for the hard work that's gone into this to make the emulator Freedo never was. Just feels like professional job.

Again, Thank you.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Yes thanks again! Oh and if you want to see something nice and smooth try Killing Time on it. :)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:46 am

Thanks! I indeed spent a considerable amount of time on it. There were some long nights!

I've stepped away from active development, and I'm happy to report that I didn't get any hate mail over this. 4DO's in a very good state to either continue development or use as a resource for new emulators. I'd say we got 3DO emulation to a good state before it was too late! I figure I've earned some leisure time to kick back and play some 3DO games.

I was never quite satisfied with FreeDO. After their core code went open source I originally set out just to replace the missing code. I knew I could fix the obvious issues with the interface's features and stability and focusing on the emulation internals afterwards. With the added efforts of Viktor getting game compatibility extended, the project succeeded in even more than I figured I could accomplish alone. Emulation accuracy was simultaneously conquered from both ends. So, I'm very happy with how its come along.

I'm interested to see what Altmer will create with his HLE emulation attempt (Phoenix?). It should provide dramatic visual improvements to 3D games that the low level approach can't compete with. I also suspect that some games will have to continue to be run through low level emulation. Perhaps there'll be some hybrid emulator that'll choose the best fit per game. As another fun fact, when I first attempted 4DO 5 years ago, I was attempting this HLE approach.