Various 4DO problems

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Various 4DO problems

Post by Martin III » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:59 pm

So I finally got around to installing 4DO on my new computer so I could get some screenshots for my 3DO reviews. The trouble is, in apparently still further confirmation that Windows 10 is the least functional operating system ever created, 4DO won't boot. Not even an error message; the wait icon spins for a couple seconds and that's it. I tried additionally downloading the zip version as MathUser suggested in this thread, but the same exact thing happens. I can only get it to boot by running it as an administrator, which is a pain.

That done, I immediately hit another road block. "Open Disc Drive - D:" is grayed out, even though a 3DO game was already loaded into my CD drive by the time I installed 4DO. The only thing I could think of from that point was to cycle the drive, which of course did nothing.

Any ideas?

Taijigamer
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Various 4DO problems

Post by Taijigamer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Are you using the libretro port of 4DO? https://github.com/libretro/4do-libretro

I don't think the original 4DO is supported anymore. If you still have issues, try Phoenix emulator.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:05 pm

i dont know why it wont detect your cd drive. I dont have my cd drive in my laptop right now to test and see if its windows 10 causing the problems. Your best bet would be to make a cd image of your disc. It's going to run better from an image than from a disc. bin/cue format should work, and i believe ISO works too.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:16 am

Hmm. I'm now realizing that "Open CD Image CoreFile" is also grayed out.

How do I tell if I'm using the libretro port? And if I'm not, how do I get it?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Is the BIOS running? Make sure a BIOS file has been configured in the File Menu. It should automatically play the boot up screen for which ever bios you use. Maybe the crashing canceled out the first run message that tells you to select a bios.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Oh man, I don't know how I overlooked something so obvious. It's been too long since I've fooled around with emulators, I suppose; somehow I thought the BIOS were already set up when you download 4DO. Anyway, that fixed it. Many thanks! :D

I still wish I could get it to play without running as administrator, though. Hopefully Microsoft's next operating system will have fewer bugs.