Open source

4DO & Freedo, we have tried playing some 200 games on them - if you have a question we might be able to help!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Open source

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 pm

After months of being a member, I finally made my 1st post on the Freedo forum. I voted yes on the issue of it being open source.

Since I know very little about Freedo, it's coders, or the challenges it has and will face I was just wondering if anyone thinks this will come to pass? (It has the votes anyway) I know several here have had dealings w/the guys at Freedo (some good and some not so good)

Thoughts?

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:17 pm

wont happen. and any chance of a major update in the next year is slim to none.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:01 am

hmm seems i could be wrong...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:44 am

A nice surprise! :)

Here is the news for those who don't frequent freedo ...

Going OpenSource
« on: Today at 07:42:40 AM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well -- it's decided then -- the project will be released as open source. We'll host the SVN repository. Open as read only to everybody and as read/write to those who will decide to contribute.
The only question left -- what license should we be released under.
Please comment your choice.
The projects being released are :

FreeDO
IDE Adapter
FPGA FreeDO

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:59 am

I don't want to create a new thread for this, hope that's ok.

Was anyone able to register on the FreeDO forums lately? Since I tend to use a GTW-related username on most forums these days, I closed down my old account there and registered a new one MONTHS ago. It took four weeks until I finally got an email telling me that the registration was accepted, but I still can not log in. When I try, it says "Your email address needs to be validated before you can login. Need another activation email?". If I request another activation email, I don't actually get one. What I get instead is an email telling me that the admin must approve the account, even though the account was approved already. Quite annoying not to be able to post there, as I want to assemble a team for creating an M2 emulator.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I thought you were banned by max or something. Id try regging again. The admins have been around lately so im thinking somethign went wrong in the approval process.

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Nope, they didn't ban me. :D Already tried registering a 2nd account, but there's no difference. Probably something wrong with their forums, and no one can tell then. I never understood why they decided to protect their forums that heavily anyway.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:08 am

Why was he banned? :wink:

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm

3DOKid wrote:Why was he banned? :wink:
Who?

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:58 pm

Ok, I give up now. I just got two email telling me that both accounts have been deleted because I didn't activate them. But the forums are set up for admin-activation, users aren't able to activate their accounts... Ridiculous, but FreeDO is dead anyway.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Sorry man. Don't know what else you can really do.

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that is intended anyway. I guess they don't want any new people to read the forums. Why? Because I doubt the open-source release will ever happen.

They promised to release a homebrew SDK years ago, which never happened. They promised to release ports of FreeDO for other platforms and claimed they were even done, but no one ever got to see them. They promised to build a huge website for the 3DO scene at http://www.3do-scene.com, which is "Comming soon..." since then. This list could be extended further.

When people first asked if FreeDO ever goes open-source, there was a strict 'no' because releasing the code would violate patents, copyrights, whatever. If that was ever true, it would be still the case and they can't release the source. For me, that was just another promise which they will fail to fulfill.

Let's hope that FourDO will make progress and eventually reach a point that makes FreeDO obsolete.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Yeah I hear ya. Im pretty skeptical too but I usualy just keep it to myself. I let others start the war. lol. I have noticed everything you mentioned. I've been following freedo for a long time.

WindowsKiller
3DO ZERO USER

Post by WindowsKiller » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm

WindowsKiller wrote:[...] They promised to build a huge website for the 3DO scene at http://www.3do-scene.com, which is "Comming soon..." since then. This list could be extended further.
Sometimes (but really only sometimes ;-)) I hate when I'm right. http://www.3do-scene.com is now suspended and the news advertising a new site there has been removed from the forums, so just what I said. All they promised isn't going to happen, and it was never supposed to.