Review - ESPN Let's Play Tennis

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - ESPN Let's Play Tennis

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:43 pm

There were several of these ESPN titles released during 3DO’s launch window. Thankfully it was quickly realized that early adopters were not breaking the bank for short instructional discs such as these, but rather actual 32-bit games! :roll: Anyway, since these titles are all similar in structure, in a sense I figure that if I review one I’ve reviewed them all. That being the case I picked the tennis disc since this is a sport I actually play. Let’s take a quick glance at it…

It’s getting harder to remember the times before dvd & blu-ray, but back in the days of vhs perhaps discs like this held more appeal with the ability to navigate to sections minus rewinding/fast-forwarding. Then again, I’ve already mentioned that this is a short title so I’m not sure how much this factured. The full motion video is not quite up to vhs standards, but at least it is presented in full screen, not cropped windows.

The information contained therein is mostly basic, and as a player I did not find much of it all that helpful. Some of the stretches shown looked somewhat useful and practical, but most of the tips I found lacking (for instance, while it is fine to show a variety of racquet grips why must each one presented in a way that makes them look nearly identical?) And although tennis pros serve as the guides in this title, the actual demonstrations are done by others … why? :?

This title simply made me want to play real tennis, and I imagine it is the same with the other ESPN releases. Obviously for collector’s only, these ESPN titles are all quite common (with the exception of a mail-in only Tom Kite golf disc) Grab them all, view them once if you wish, them stick them back in the box, binder or whatever it is you use to hold your 3DO collection.

-Trev