Review - V Goal Soccer '96

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - V Goal Soccer '96

Post by Trev » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:24 pm

** This game was released exclusively in Japan **

Playing Tecmo’s later entry into 3DO’s full soccer scene has made me realize a couple of things. One, it serves as a reminder that good game play always trumps good graphics (V Goals visuals are strictly serviceable). Two, I’m now aware that my leaning is definitely in favor of an arcade approach (at least when it comes to footie games) The former emphasis makes V Goal really stand out and feel different form the multiplayer’s comparable sim offerings.

Brisk games (adjustable to as little as 90 seconds) coupled with controls that take little time to grasp make for an ideal pick up and play experience. Stemming from the arcade is evident from the very quick moving players, as well as the ability to pull off exaggerated special shots (an addictive feature!) V Goal is quite a well built game, and almost immediately I found myself having fun and getting hooked on it’s take on soccer. :)

World Cup, World ranking, and Team edit modes are available to the player who wants a lengthier and deeper experience. Those hankering for a quicker game can pick form arcade mode (which still has some depth with advancing rounds) or exhibition. There is also a training mode, which is notable as this was where I learned to pull off the above mentioned special shots (despite the Japanese text) It also has music that will likely make you chuckle. Should you wish to take advantage of the first batch of modes, you’ll be happy to know that the game will prompt you at the start if your memory is too full. Helpful indeed, since saving would be essential (this menu is also in Japanese … pick the selection on the right to get to memory management)
Options to adjust length, fouls, difficulty, etc … are available for you to customize the game to your liking. I was even surprised to find a selection called ‘music box’ allowing me to hear the games tracks. Arcade like in origin they, like the graphics, are only serviceable, but it is nevertheless a nice inclusion.

Some might wonder where this game ranks among the rest of 3DO’s soccer choices. I would put it quite highly. In fact, after many hours of play I’d say (surprisingly) that it squeaks past both Olympic Soccer and latecomer Onside to rank 2nd on my list. An impressive feat indeed! 8)

1st is, of course, still Fifa. V Goal can’t match it’s graphics and animation, or it’s rich audio. It also pales when it comes to bells and whistles (no plethora of camera angles of full motion video for instance) And since Tecmo lacks the resources of Electronic Arts, the level of polish for V Goal isn’t as high as that of Fifa. End result is a game that, while still a ton of fun, is ultimately not as satisfying. Not a shock I’m sure, as Fifa is a favorite of many (and on my personal top 25 3DO games list)

Goal, Goal, Goal!!!

Nevertheless, V Goal is really a very good game in it’s own right. I’m entertained every time I boot it up. Most 3DO imports don’t measure up to my optimistic expectations … this game did. It is now not only one of my favorite non-regional releases, but it’s overtaken Virtual Stadium Baseball as my favorite sports import. A great, English friendly arcade game that is addictive as ever, and an excellent addition to 3DO’s rich sport’s library! It took me long enough to get a copy, but I’m very happy to have finally landed one.
:D

-Trev

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:46 am

An arcade-styled sports game? I'm sold! I don't get into your normal sports titles, but I can really enjoy the arcadey ones.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah, it's a great contrast to Fifa and the other sims.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5