Review - Firewall

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - Firewall

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:25 pm

** A Korean only release **

A lone screenshot in a late issue of 3DO magazine, and a blink and you’d miss it appearance on Ebay were all I previously knew of this game. Thanks to this forum though, I’ve not only managed to learn about it (and a few other Korean exclusives too!), but I even nabbed a copy. So, props to 3DO Zone for your help. :)

With dubbing that fails to totally mask English dialogue plus menus in my native tongue, I was at first in wonderment as to why Firewall didn’t release stateside? :? The Goldstar logo tipped me off somewhat though. Despite being manufacturers of the console, their U.S. support consisted of just a scant two games. One, was a great port of Primal Rage (see my review) The other was an abysmal port of BC Racers (which hopefully I’ll never review :P ) Firewall, sadly, shares more with the latter.

This shooter looks like a combination of Cyberia’and Novastorm, with game play reminiscent of Rebel Assault. Three solid games, but Firewall can’t match any of them sadly … not even close in fact. Why? Where does the fault lie?

Certainly the graphics are not to blame. (comparisons to 2 good looking games show this) I enjoyed it’s look, typical of a rail shooter with a distinct mid 90’s nostalgic feel. Slightly blurry perhaps, but fine otherwise.

Image Image

Can’t fault the music either, as I liked it also. It fits the action, and the level 2 track in particular I thought was very good (suspenseful) Sadly, I didn’t get to see or hear beyond this point ...

The unforgivable sin of Firewall is it’s control, and how unresponsive it is. How can I describe it … it feels like I took my multiplayer to the beach and got sand stuck inside the controller. It is a fight, and the feeling that my commands were being ignored was constant. Turns were especially troublesome, making it a struggle to avoid hitting the scenery (a damaging prospect) In combat, there is no rapid fire so prepare to be hammering the button constantly. The cursor also consistently seemed like it was just ever so slightly to the left or right of where the enemy was. As many enemies take multiple hits, this problem was greatly emphasized. It almost seems like the cursor’s movement is limited by being on a grid or something … whatever. :roll:

I did manage to get through the first level, but the next proved to be my last. The controls simply proved to be too much for me. I even got to the point where I had the next level memorized from having lost so many times, but I still could not win! :evil: I thought Creature Shock had a slow cursor, but this game is much worse.

Any more complaints? Sure, why not. Although given occasional choices in flight path, the point will likely be elusive. Little changes, and some choices seem to result in instant death! I seemed to be repeatedly bombarded by invisible shots as well (can’t I at least see what is hitting me?) Returning fire, I discovered that the game employs a changing weapon system. Seems out of place in a rail game like this though. Leave it to the traditional shmups.

Rare, expensive, and unplayable, Firewall will remain noteworthy for it’s Korean heritage only. Perhaps someday I’ll acquire some of the lands other 3DO rarity’s such as Battle Blues and Eye of Typhoon. I’m sure they can’t be worse than Firewall.

-Trev
Last edited by Trev on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:24 pm

I've played the all-gold version of this too. It's an odd game for sure. I often wonder, of these really difficult games, how many people have actually beaten them?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 am

A big thumbs up to any who have managed to best this game ... play testers perhaps? (though were any actually employed?) I was reading your blog review for this game (nice as usual) Never made it past 2 either huh?

LiquidPolicenaut
3DO ZERO USER

Post by LiquidPolicenaut » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 am

I'll join this club as someone who has also played this...and agree 100% with you Trev. I got past level one but I just couldn't get through level 2. The control gets atrocious and I cant control the plane for anything! I feel like this game WAS supposed to come out here, it was almost done but was dropped in a near final beta stage, but was then picked up and released in Korea....still in this "beta" stage.