Review - Sewer Shark

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Martin III wrote:
3DO Experience wrote:What was better about the Graveyard Edition? Never played it.

1.FMV quality is better than other versions.
The VGC says that 3DO has "easily the best looking version" (and he has played the Saturn port)
Martin III wrote:3.Because of point #2, the Graveyard Edition is not compatible with a light gun, since you need four different buttons to fire each type of bullet. :(

Like 3DOExp said, a worthless port. Appreciate the info

Oh great, I've spread this talk to a 3rd page ...
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm

wait... what? Are we still talking about Sewer Shark here? Im confused.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:59 pm

BryWI wrote:wait... what? Are we still talking about Sewer Shark here? Im confused.
No, they are talking about Corpse Killer. A generally worthless game, period, IMO... ;) :lol:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:27 pm

I didn't mind corpse killer. but then I just watched a bunch of 1980s cannibal movies -- so what do i know?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:55 am

Trev wrote:
Martin III wrote:1.FMV quality is better than other versions.
The VGC says that 3DO has "easily the best looking version" (and he has played the Saturn port)
I don't think I can buy that. Going by the screenshot he provides, the 3DO version isn't even full screen.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:28 am

Just out of curiosity, is Corpse Killer any more enjoyable with a light gun? I only had the Sega CD and Sega CD 32X versions of the game. I only ever played it with a pad.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:30 am

Does it really matter people? It's a gun game without a gun! Hell I already have one of those for the Saturn it's called the utterly useless version of Generation X!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:48 am

But don't the Sega CD and 32X versions use some kind of gun? Either the Menacer or Konami's Justifier? It was an honest question, I'm curious if it's any better.. :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:18 am

Most of the SCD gun games have Menacer support (the ALG games anyway) I'd bet Corpse Killer does too, but don't quote me on it.

Corpse Killer is obviously best w/a light gun, but it still manages to be playable w/o one (curosr moves fairly well). In that respects it has a leg up on the ALG games. Can you imagine beating Crime Patrol w/a standard pad? (Lemmi)

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Austin wrote:But don't the Sega CD and 32X versions use some kind of gun? Either the Menacer or Konami's Justifier? It was an honest question, I'm curious if it's any better.. :)
I'm pretty sure every version of Corpse Killer except the Saturn version is compatible with a light gun. The impression I get is that the only reason the Saturn version doesn't use a gun is because they switched up the gameplay to require four different types of ammo, so the game wouldn't have worked with the Saturn's two-button light gun. Since the other versions don't have this issue, it stands to reason that Digital Pictures would give them light gun support.

Kinda makes you wonder what they were thinking when they decided to implement a gameplay mechanic which would prohibit the Saturn version from using a light gun.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm

The Sega CD and 32-X versions of Corpse Killer do have Light Gun support from the menacer and the VERY RARE ALG gun for the Sega Genesis.
Last edited by T2KFreeker on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 am

The Sega CD and 43-X versions of Corpse Killer do have Light Gun support from the menacer and the VERY RARE ALG gun for the Sega Genesis.
I bought a copy of Corpse Killer for 32X CD brand new back in the day and it's always driven me nuts that it was just a loose disc in the cardboard. There was no paper sleeve or or anything with it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 am

FrumpleOrz wrote:I bought a copy of Corpse Killer for 32X CD brand new back in the day and it's always driven me nuts that it was just a loose disc in the cardboard. There was no paper sleeve or or anything with it.
It should have had a sleeve. You may have gotten jipped, haha. This is how I remember mine coming (likewise with the other Digital Pictures 32X CD titles like Night Trap and Slam City, if I remember correctly). Black-ish sleeve: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corpse-Killer-3 ... 500wt_1413

FrumpleOrz
3DO ZERO USER

Post by FrumpleOrz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:54 am

It should have had a sleeve. You may have gotten jipped, haha.
Man, I must've! I supposed Digital Pictures was on the major slope to destruction at the time, so if me not getting a sleeve helped them stay in business a week longer, that's cool.

I guess I can look at it like a a collector's item now!

elitegamer
3DO ZERO USER

Post by elitegamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 am

This a stick up! Somebody please use spell check, helps with coherent sentence writing.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 am

elitegamer wrote:This a stick up! Somebody please use spell check, helps with coherent sentence writing.

Says you? Are you bound and determined to derail all of the threads now?

JohnnyDude
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JohnnyDude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 am

I didn't own Sewer Shark back in the day but I've gotta agree it's a great game. I have a soft-spot for FMV games, even though most were crappy-crap CRAPPIN' crap! Both the shooting and choose-a-direction thing in sewer shark works very well, in my opinion. I agree a light gun woulda been nice, but they clearly ramped the difficulty down enough.

I noticed that what's-is-name produced both this and Night Trap. I think both Sewer Shark and Night Trap were very innovative with this FMV medium. Night Trap was a little too hectic to enjoy the videos going on, but I suppose if I'd owned it I'd have known what scenes I could ignore.

As far as gameplay within FMV games though, I haven't met its equal. (er well... unless you count rail shooters like area 51... but that's just too easy).

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 am

JohnnyDude wrote:I didn't own Sewer Shark back in the day but I've gotta agree it's a great game. I have a soft-spot for FMV games, even though most were crappy-crap CRAPPIN' crap! Both the shooting and choose-a-direction thing in sewer shark works very well, in my opinion. I agree a light gun woulda been nice, but they clearly ramped the difficulty down enough.

I noticed that what's-is-name produced both this and Night Trap. I think both Sewer Shark and Night Trap were very innovative with this FMV medium. Night Trap was a little too hectic to enjoy the videos going on, but I suppose if I'd owned it I'd have known what scenes I could ignore.

As far as gameplay within FMV games though, I haven't met its equal. (er well... unless you count rail shooters like area 51... but that's just too easy).
Tom Zito was the producer. The guy was cool back in the day. Had some great ideas that were limited by the technology of the day.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 am

I would like to see the concepts of Night Trap come back. I think it would work well enough if the story was perhaps more along the lines of an anime, and perhaps more serious. And maybe take out the idea of getting punished if you don't catch enough enemies. Perhaps have a set, solid story, with dozens and dozens of story arcs changing based on what you do.
Last edited by Austin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vampyre mike
3DO ZERO USER

Turn and burn Dogmeat!

Post by vampyre mike » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:05 pm

I loved this game on Sega CD, such a great pack in title. When I was younger and my friends and I played it, we were blown away by the graphics. But we had no idea why we kept crashing into doors/walls. I then realized a few years after about the call signs and the turns blinking.

I then proceeded to beat the game numerous times, and I love it each time. I can also quote the game a lot haha. What an awesome cheesy title, I still can't find David Underwood online or in ANY movies or anything.

I would love to do an online interview for my Sega CD site =).

RetroGamingBlog
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Review - Sewer Shark

Post by RetroGamingBlog » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Was playing this the other night. I for the life of me cannot figure out how to use the recharge stations. I understand everything else, but where do you turn or what do you do to recharge?
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Review - Sewer Shark

Post by BryWI » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:47 pm

It's easier to see in the 3do version, but there are two lights at the top of the tunnel side by side. One is red and one is green. Go to the green side. If the right one is green, go right. Or you could just memorize them all after trial and error like most people had to do on the sega cd version due to not being able to see it.