Review - Sewer Shark

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Review - Sewer Shark

Post by T2KFreeker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Yes, Digital Pictures! Yes, Tom Zito! So, the begining of the digital age fo video gaming was chalk full of FMV games. Tom Zito and Digital Pictures seems to be the guys who got things right to a degree. Even the heavily cheese lined "Corpse Killer" was a fun play. Night Trap was the center of controversy, and Sewer Shark in the Grand Daddy of them all. I am not saying that Sewer Shark was the first, mind you, but I am saying that Sewer shark was the first to be able to be played by gamers of all kinds. The story was fun and inventive, the controls were responsive and fairly easy to pick up on, and Tom Zito had another hit.
Sewer Shark had it's tastes of success on both the Sega CD and 3DO consoles, with the 3DO version being far superior in every way. The game boasted state of the art graphics in 3D with siome truely amazing FMV thrown in to make the game that much more fun not only to play, but to watch also. You are Dog Meat, cleaner of the sewers and the new Ratagator bait below the city streets. Follow your partners advise and you too could end up the hero and take down Mr. Stenchler and his evil plansd for the city.
Use your armored vehicle and make sure that you fly thriough the sewers and clean out the monsters below as there are several breed of mutated monsters waiting for you. They may sound cheesy with names like Ratagator, but they are actually quite cool looking in a very cheesy kind of way. Sewer Shark is like that really cool B movie you saw back in the 80's or 90's that you just can't get away from as it is just too fun to watch.
The controls are pretty basic with shooting and tube switching. Make sure you get the switching down or you are guaranteed to hit the walls. Also, it is important to pay attention when recharges come up as if yopu do not recharge, you will die because you run out of energy.
Do well and you will bet some really nice looking FMV going, do bad, and you still get good looking PMV, you just might not like what they say to you! :lol:
I think seriously that there really isn't much more that can be said about this game, it is fun and really just a cool piece of history to have for your 3DO system. Get a chance to pick it up, go for it as you will not be wasting money. Sewer Shark is a classic and that is that, straight to the point.

Graphics: 9
Sound: 10
Controls: 10
Fun Factor: 9
Replay: 9
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:33 am

I agree with this review. I had originaly loved the segacd version... then i played the 3do version. Man i loved it even more. The FMVs are hilarious. It really makes it worth to play through this whole game. I pretty much still remember the intro word for word. lol.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:09 am

i dont know this game must not be my cup of tea. i couldnt stand the sega cd version, so i never played the 3DO version because of it

but i do like some FMV games just not this one
it kind of reminds me of a dragons lair type game with worse graphics and i dont like those games either, they look great but the controls are horrible, even the arcade versions

i did like the FMV videos in sewer shark (i like the bad fat guy) as i used a code to just watch those instead of playing it to see them :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:25 am

Yeah, most of Tom Zito's games were pretty good. I also enjoyed Corpse Killer Graveyard Edition for the Sega Saturn. That was totally awesome. Never been a better version of that game either. Plus add in the fact that it also supported the Saturn Game Gun and you have classic.
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:29 am

Oh man I love Sewer Shark! I never even knew if was on another system other than the Sega CD until just a couple years ago. I played it on the Sega CD when it first came out. I am so glad they ported it to the 3DO. It looks much better on the 3DO. Since I got my 3DO I have played Sewer Shark more than any other game so far. I got close to beating it a few days ago but kept dieing and called it quits. I am actually playing it right now lol. Well it's paused but you know what I mean. :wink: Too bad Road Avenger never got ported to the 3DO that was another Sega CD game that we played all the time.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 pm

What was better about the Graveyard Edition? Never played it.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 am

I had this game on Sega CD and I must have played it a hundred times and never got past the first level. I never could figure out what the hell was going on. That was my experience with most FMV games I tried so I learned to avoid them, maybe I was playing it wrong I don't know but it seamed to me no matter what button you pressed you still died everytime.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:28 am

phatrat1982 wrote:I had this game on Sega CD and I must have played it a hundred times and never got past the first level. I never could figure out what the hell was going on. That was my experience with most FMV games I tried so I learned to avoid them, maybe I was playing it wrong I don't know but it seamed to me no matter what button you pressed you still died everytime.
The goal of Sewer Shark is to get to the end of each stage, taking the correct path. Throughout each level, you are given coordinates in a specific order. For instance, if it says "Six, Niner, Six", it means you need to take the next down exit, then the next left exit after that, and the next down exit after that. Available routes/exits appear as flashing arrows at the top of the screen. If you follow that, it's really not that difficult.. Well, at least not until later on where the correct coordinates are hacked or something and lead you to a dead end (death), and you have to guess your way through.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:25 am

ok I see, that would explain why I never got anywhere cuz I never knew any of that. I always thought it was just random and stupid.The one FMV game I did really get into was called Microcosm, did that get a 3DO port?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:26 am

phatrat1982 wrote:The one FMV game I did really get into was called Microcosm, did that get a 3DO port?

Indeed, it did. I enjoyed it somewhat on the 3DO.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 am

then add that to the list of games I might check out on 3DO someday.

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Austin wrote:Well, at least not until later on where the correct coordinates are hacked or something and lead you to a dead end (death), and you have to guess your way through.
I've just recently completed the game and I that never happened. :?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:26 am

Calavera wrote:
Austin wrote:Well, at least not until later on where the correct coordinates are hacked or something and lead you to a dead end (death), and you have to guess your way through.
I've just recently completed the game and I that never happened. :?
Really? Maybe it was just me, but by somewhere in Stage 3, I couldn't progress any farther, and I always followed the exact path given to me. :?
phatrat1982 wrote:then add that to the list of games I might check out on 3DO someday.
Add Novastorm to your list, too, if you like Microcosm. It's sort of along the same lines, but better. :lol:
Last edited by Austin on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:28 am

Will do.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:21 pm

WELCOME TO THE SEWERS PUNK!

Calavera
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Calavera » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Austin wrote: Really? Maybe it was just me, but by somewhere in Stage 3, I couldn't progress any farther, and I always followed the exact path given to me. :?
Hmm idk, I know you eventually have to follow a "crazy looking thing" through the sewers. Maybe that is what you are remembering?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Nah, I don't remember having to follow anything..

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 am

if two guys who played this game to the end can't even remember how to beat it no wonder I had such a hard time my first time playing and I didn't even have manual or anything just popped it in and took off after about 20 minutes of solid confusion and frustration I tossed the game in the trash and said to hell with it I will find other Sega CD games to play.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:16 am

Well, you have to understand that I was a young teenager in the mid '90s the last time I got anywhere important in the game. Who knows what all the stress, alcohol and other chemicals since then that I probably shouldn't have put into my body have done to my memory...

Point is, I haven't really given it an honest go since then. I bust it out every now and then more or less for nostalgia reasons. Maybe I'll get through the first stage, then shut it off until the next time I feel like bringing it back out..

*edit: I still completely understand how to play the game and never have any trouble picking it back up, so that's not a factor here.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:01 am

OK keep in mind I had the Sega CD version I don't know if there are any differences but that could be a factor. All I remember was I never did figure out how to play it or I kept dieing too much either way that really is all I remember.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:03 am

Nah, gameplay is the same across all platforms. The 3DO version certainly looks much nicer though!

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:17 am

well then maybe I might give it another try but even if I do it won't be for a long time cuz I won't be going out of my way to find it.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:29 am

you have to get through the CHAINSAW LINE! DONT GO ALL TO PIECES ON ME!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:34 am

Dang! All these comments on Sewer Shark, yet hardly any on the review itself. I know its not derailed in the strictest since, but if this keeps up I nominate for moving it to its own topic. The game is an important enough piece of gaming history to warrant its own thread.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:43 am

WHERE'S MY ANCHOVY PUDDING?

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:49 am

Well, look at it this way, Trev.. Your review has at least sparked some sort of conversation, so.. that can only be a good thing! :)

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:55 am

:P Ha ha, I didn't even write this one.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 am

Wait, what?.. *goes to first page* ...ooohhh, you sneaky *$&@!^#!!

Oh, wait, nevermind.. this is another case of me being incapable of reading, apparently. Two times in one day, at that! A bannable offense, for certain! :shock:

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:53 pm

3DO Experience wrote:What was better about the Graveyard Edition? Never played it.
A belated reply, but here are the main differences:

1.FMV quality is better than other versions.
2.There are four different types of bullets: regular, datura, armor-piercing, and armor-piercing datura. Some enemies can only be killed with datura, and some only with armor-piercing, so this adds a bit of strategy to the game.
3.Because of point #2, the Graveyard Edition is not compatible with a light gun, since you need four different buttons to fire each type of bullet. :(
4.There are new enemies whose heads take up nearly the entire screen and must be shot with armor-piercing bullets.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Martin III wrote:the Graveyard Edition is not compatible with a light gun
This version of the game just became worthless to me. Thanks for the reply.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"