Review - Off World Interceptor

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Review - Off World Interceptor

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:43 am

Crystal Dynamics was such a good 3DO developer, that it’s rather shocking they let a game like Off World Interceptor see release. It has numerous shortcomings atypical of the team, off which I’ll try to touch on some briefly in this review. Let’s be thankful that Crystal’s other projects don’t share the uneven quality of this game.

I need to be fair and acknowledge a couple of things before I continue on … One, Crystal Dynamics was a rookie developer. A skilled group for sure, but newbie’s nonetheless. So they do deserve to have that taken into consideration. Two, I never played OWI when it was first released, or during the lifecycle of the 3DO. (it was always near the bottom of the list of 3DO titles I wanted) In fact, it wasn’t until very recently that I played more than just a demo of it. Confessions out of the way, let the hard truth begin.

The main reason (though not the only one) that I never had a strong desire to own OWI is because it looks so much like Total Eclipse. Granted, game engines do get re-used (fps for instance) but I always thought it felt lazy. Another reason I wasn’t into this game (one that may also qualify as lazy) is that Crystal’s first release was Crash n’ Burn, another combat racer. How about trying something different? :roll:

Whereas Crash n’ Burn felt like it was a balanced mix, OWI does not. It feels like a shmup on wheels. The genres don’t blend well, at least not in this case. There is far too much enemy action taking place in what is, essentially, a race. Lost focus results in a game that is neither a good racer, nor a satisfying shooter.

Everything but the kitchen sink was thrown in this game, to disastrous results! Rather than focus on a smaller, smarter group of enemies, Crystal decided to fill OWI with mindless regenerating drones. The firepower is relentless, and spread all over, making the admittedly wide terrain useless for evasion. Other vehicles routinely pop up behind you, forcing you to steer wildly and hope you lose them (not likely) or brake so they will pass. The latter is dangerous for a couple reasons. Not only do you leave yourself a sitting duck for other enemies, you burn precious fuel that runs out before you know it. The need to juggle so many things at once … racing, combat, icon collection, etc … proves to be too demanding, at least for me. :( I did use a code to max my money enabling me to load up on shields and such, in an effort to help me progress further. It helped to a small extent, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. Oh, and did I forget to mention the bosses?

Yes, as if the game wasn’t already overloaded, Crystal decided to throw in bosses for good measure. I thought I would just have to catch the criminals (the storyline has something to do with you being a bounty hunter or some such nonsense) but nope, I gotta destroy them. Let me tell you, the bosses absorb more firepower than you, I, David Needle, and Trip Hawkins put together could imagine! If you do manage to survive to reach said bosses, be prepared to have your blood pressure spike. :evil:

I hate to end a review on a bad note though, so I did save a few positives to discuss. The two player mode is one of these. Although critics griped that the screen had a vertical split (didn't bother me in the least) it offers some intense competition, and I had a pretty good time playing this with my wife. Win 2 out of 3 matches and the planet is yours. The winner gets to select the next planet to race/battle on too, which leads to some anxious moments as the victorious will naturally pick a planet where they are 1 win shy of claiming, and not the other way around. Using warping gates as a means to get behind your opponent offers a fair amount of strategy also. Timing is crucial, as is being aware of where your competition is on the map. :)

Image Image

The other positive for me was the copying of Mystery Science Theater (a favorite of mine) Making fun of the full motion video is not only appropriate, but the guys are actually funny (although they use too many exaggerated gestures). Both my wife and I laughed out loud on a few occasions. :P I wish I could just skip and watch all the clips, but I know of no code to allow this.

Again, I stress that Crystal’s other projects have little in common with the poorness evident in this game. In fact, they are some of the best of the best of 3DO offerings. From original gems like Gex, to acquiring the rights to publish hits like Star Control II and Samurai Shodown, it’s clear they were a great asset to 3DO. So the best thing to do is either try and pretend that OWI never happened, or just limit it’s time in your 3DO to the 2-player mode.

-Trev
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:16 pm

Having been curious about the differences between the 3DO original vs. the later "Extreme" ports, I decided to look at a bunch of reviews. Here are some things I've been able to conclude so far...

3DO advantages ...

- Less slowdown

- Levels are shorter (I think this is a good thing for this game)

- Graphics better than Saturn version - Looks like the Saturn version has a fog effect sorta similar to it's Star Fighter port, and we know how bad that turned out.

- FMV are uncensored (not a big deal for me, but many might be glad)

3DO disadvantages ...

- No save feature (the single biggest flaw imo) :evil:

- Challenge is too high! apparently the later versions were tweaked to be more balanced & reasonable

- No training mode (ater versions included one, no doubt further helping w/the challenge

- New inside the car view

I'm sure there are further differences, but I don't have the ports to compare it first hand. If anyone had anything additional, I'd be curious to hear.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

I didn't give either game a ton of time (played a couple of levels in each), but I recall the PlayStation version having a smoother framerate than the 3DO version. Can't vouch for the Saturn one yet.

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Re:

Post by CJZEPP » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Austin wrote:I didn't give either game a ton of time (played a couple of levels in each), but I recall the PlayStation version having a smoother framerate than the 3DO version. Can't vouch for the Saturn one yet.
I would imagine that the Saturn version is pretty slow, as most games like duke nukem 3d ran slowly. I think it was a programmers nightmare.
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Re:

Post by Austin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:07 pm

CJZEPP wrote:
Austin wrote:I didn't give either game a ton of time (played a couple of levels in each), but I recall the PlayStation version having a smoother framerate than the 3DO version. Can't vouch for the Saturn one yet.
I would imagine that the Saturn version is pretty slow, as most games like duke nukem 3d ran slowly. I think it was a programmers nightmare.
I disagree, to an extent.. It's well known the system was a hassle to get the most out of, but in the right programmers' hands, the Saturn could do just fine, with nice, smooth 3D. Power Slave, Panzer Dragoon II, Scorcher, Wipeout XL, etc.

Considering Off-World was made by Crystal Dynamics, and considering how great their Solar Eclipse turned out for the Saturn (a very early release, mind you), I'd be willing to bet the Saturn version of Off-World Interceptor runs great. I still need to track down a copy to try it though.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Re: Review - Off World Interceptor

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 am

I often see copies of OWI for the Saturn in my gaming hunts. Even though it's pretty cheap, I never by a copy. A game has to be something special for me to own multiple versions.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Re:

Post by Martin III » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Austin wrote:
CJZEPP wrote:
I disagree, to an extent.. It's well known the system was a hassle to get the most out of, but in the right programmers' hands, the Saturn could do just fine, with nice, smooth 3D. Power Slave, Panzer Dragoon II, Scorcher, Wipeout XL, etc.

Considering Off-World was made by Crystal Dynamics, and considering how great their Solar Eclipse turned out for the Saturn (a very early release, mind you), I'd be willing to bet the Saturn version of Off-World Interceptor runs great. I still need to track down a copy to try it though.
Indeed, doesn't Off-World Interceptor use the same game engine as Solar Eclipse? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I'm still planning to get the Saturn version of Off-World Interceptor, so when I do I'll try to remember to post here and say how it is. But I would imagine that it runs at least as smooth as the 3DO version. Crystal Dynamics did a fine job by both the 3DO and Saturn.