3DO Naki Controller

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

3DO Naki Controller

Post by T2KFreeker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah, so I was going to throw this into the regular 3DO section, but I didn't know if it should be in the reviews section anyway even if it's not for a game.

The pads are generally very cheaply priced on evilbay. The good news? They are built very well. The plastic doesn't feel cheap, and they are comfortable to hold in your hands. I like the D-Pad and the face buttons. The resistance on the buttons are just right and the way the D-Pad performs is solid. No dead zones in the pad, and as sometimes complained about with the original Panasonic controller, no trouble making diagonals with the pad either. I like the shoulder pads as well, they seem very responsive and work well. The cable is also just as long as the one you find on the standard 3DO pads which is nice. The extra port on the top also comes capped which is also nice. The start, Stop button, and extra button are easy to get to as well. The extra button is for fighting games I suppose which is why there is a small on and off switch on the bottom of the pad.

Not to say it is perfect though. First of all, the point of the extra button seems really just out of place to me. You'd never use this pad for fighting games, sorry. It's a suitable replacement for a dead Panasonic pad or an extra pad if you don't want to shell out the stupid amounts of money official pads cost. Also, it's one of those pads with turbo switches across the front of it. The good news is that they are not easily hit when using the pad. If Turbo is your thing, you'll love it. If not, no big deal other than I personally think it's ugly, but I always hated the look on all pads. The only problem I have had with my pad is that the right shoulder button stopped working. I took the pad apart and was surprised how good this pad looks under the case. Very well built. The rubber contact had slipped off of the shoulder board. Looking at the housing, it was probably not sat there right in the first place. Since then, I have had no problems at all with the pad at all.

So, if you are looking for a solid, cheap 3DO Pad that works very well, pick it up. It's worth the cash and is a solid choice unlike some of the other pads out there like the Innovation Fighter Pad or even the first Party Goldstar pad that is a nightmare.

Final Score: 8.5/10
This is a stick up! Put all of your 3DO games in the bag and nobody gets hurt!

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 am

Very good review. I hope that my original Panasonic controller never wears out, but if it does I'll keep this in mind!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:44 am

Hey I got one of those! Not a bad controller at all! Got it for 8 dollars!

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 am

And it works fine for Sam Shodown, though I'm probably no judge.

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 am

a31chris wrote:And it works fine for Sam Shodown, though I'm probably no judge.
Yes, it works okay for fighters. However, I highly recommend tracking down a Capcom Soldier pad. Once you get one of those, you are the Fighter Master! :wink:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 am

This was a good idea. There are so many 3DO controllers, it's good to separate the decent from the lousy.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:58 am

CHEERS FREEKER...
Never head of that controller before, but I'll certainly bear the 'Naki' in mind when on my travels 8)

I got a (form what I can ascertain) brand new JP2X through the post earlier this week. Was for sale @£25, but offered the guy £15 and he met me at £18, so I bit! It wasn't listed as new, but it arrived all bagged up, factory cable tied and just feels as fresh as a daisy. Quite an event really, as I've never had my own 'new' official 3DO pad before.

And, +1 on the Capcom Soldier Pad. Looks assbackward as f*ck, but when you use it, it REALLY works. I was really surprised by it. If I'm honest though, I much prefer the standard 3DO pad for normal games, so rarely pull out the Soldier nowadays (have Super SF2X for DC and SShodown for AES).

Maybe when I finally get Way of the Warrior though, eh? :wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm

For fighters, an arcade stick really is the prefered choice. The panasonic one is great, and not too expensive if you look in japan. Very nice clicky action with a heavy base and good rubber feet.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 pm

grimm wrote:For fighters, an arcade stick really is the prefered choice. The panasonic one is great, and not too expensive if you look in japan. Very nice clicky action with a heavy base and good rubber feet.
It's true.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

T2KFreeker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T2KFreeker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Trev wrote:
grimm wrote:For fighters, an arcade stick really is the prefered choice. The panasonic one is great, and not too expensive if you look in japan. Very nice clicky action with a heavy base and good rubber feet.
It's true.
Yeah. My friends and I actually had a jamma stick that was modified for 3DO at one time. I actually miss that controller. I'll probably never see one again.

As for the good ones VS the bad ones in controllers, I thought that this would be very helpful on this since there have been so mant of them listed on ebay as of late and they are so cheap too. Great pad for the price if you don't mind that they came in platic baggies instead of a box, but they work, right?

MathUser
3DO ZERO USER

Re: 3DO Naki Controller

Post by MathUser » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Reviews need a pic I say. I don't know what a Naki controller looks like.