Let's Play - Road Rash, Shock Wave

Have you recently played a 3DO Multiplayer game? Want to write a review? Post it here!

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Let's Play - Road Rash, Shock Wave

Post by ewhac » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 pm

We recorded this last Sunday, but it had audio sync issues. I only just managed to fix them (well, paper over them) last night:

Let's Play - Road Rash (3DO, 1994), Shock Wave (3DO, 1994)

Though we visit Shock Wave, we don't do nearly as thorough a job as this 3DO Zone review does, so go read it, too.

We hope you enjoy it.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Let's Play - Road Rash, Shock Wave

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:08 am

ewhac wrote:We hope you enjoy it.
I'm sure I will. And thank you!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 am

I'm sure this will be awesome. Will watch it when I get off work.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm looking forward to listening to it. I do hope that you will return to focusing on just one game for future vids though.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 pm

I haven't managed to listen to this one yet, but these have been fantastic.

I feel like there's just so much 3DO that would be lost if it wasn't for the commentary on these LP's.

How many people from the 3DO days do you even know anymore?

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I quite enjoyed this! I was especially intrigued by the comments near the end about developers who wanted to bypass the OS for speed. I know there's been some interest in doing that on the homebrew front, but some sources claim it's impossible. Did anyone ever successfully bypass the OS, either aboveboard or through trickery?

(I couldn't tell from what you said if the Mega Race developers had managed it or whether what they did is a different issue.)

BTW, in one of the Escape from Monster Manor videos, you mentioned that the 3DO's high price tag was a "myth". I'd love to hear you elaborate on that.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Trev wrote:I'm looking forward to listening to it. I do hope that you will return to focusing on just one game for future vids though.
Same here. Both the Road Rash and Shock Wave segments were interesting to watch/listen to, but there's no overlap between the two segments that would call for them to be combined into one video.

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ewhac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 am

goldenband wrote:I was especially intrigued by the comments near the end about developers who wanted to bypass the OS for speed. I know there's been some interest in doing that on the homebrew front, but some sources claim it's impossible. Did anyone ever successfully bypass the OS, either aboveboard or through trickery?
I never heard of anyone who succeeded at that. Dale took particular care that there was no way to inject code or data into kernel space. His "Item" model for kernel resources was very clever, and the programming model made it fairly easy to ensure nothing leaked.
(I couldn't tell from what you said if the Mega Race developers had managed it or whether what they did is a different issue.)
As I very dimly recall, MegaRace opened up the FMV file on the CD-ROM, and then made no effort to time-sync anything. They simply relied on the fact that data always came in at 300KiB/second. When the cost-reduced platforms became available, with faster drives, MegaRace's 300KiB/sec video stream started flowing in at 600KiB/sec, and their game broke.
BTW, in one of the Escape from Monster Manor videos, you mentioned that the 3DO's high price tag was a "myth". I'd love to hear you elaborate on that.
I don't want to speak in gammadev's place, but I think he was trying to make two points:
  1. By the time the Sony PS1 had come out, the 3DO price had dropped to the point where it wasn't significantly pricier;
  2. The 3DO came bundled with some obvious accessories that weren't bundled on the PS1. By the time you'd bought all the necessary accessories, you'd spent at least as much as you would have on a 3DO.
Martin III wrote:Both the Road Rash and Shock Wave segments were interesting to watch/listen to, but there's no overlap between the two segments that would call for them to be combined into one video.
The discs were next to each other in the bin :-).

ewhac
3DO ZERO USER

Post by ewhac » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 am

sneth wrote:How many people from the 3DO days do you even know anymore?
A modest number, though I don't keep in as regular contact as I probably should.

An interesting little point about how small the Silicon Valley can be: The CEO of the company I'm working for now was the Vice President of 3DO.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:49 am

Only 25 minutes in and this is again one of the most informative and interesting videogame commentary videos I've ever heard and seen. Awesome to hear the inside stories such as the bike being totalled about a game that is so legendary.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman