Price for an old system

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Price for an old system

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:56 am

What do you think would be a decent price for a decent condition Vetrex system. It's something I've bounced back and forth about getting but I have no clue what one is worth.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:03 am

They are about £100 in the UK for a half decent one. So I guess $160USD?

I've only ever seen 1 in the flesh, and it is singularly the most beautiful computer gaming device I've ever seen. The box itself looks like a sack-of-sh*t but the simple piercing vector graphics warm the heart. The emulators just don't do it justice.

I've always wanted one too.

:D

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 am

I'm bidding on one right now at about $149 AU - @ $100US but postage is a killer because of weight - expect to pay double that at least for a boxed one. I would recommend only getting one from within your own domestic postal region because of the size/weight.
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 am

Well....I just paid $250 AU for one with 3 games , postage and manuals - thats @ 125GBP or @ $190-210 US
Now ...how do I hide this one from the wife? :oops:
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:48 pm

do what I do -- buy her something, or get her drunk, and then slip it into conversation.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 am

That is soooo sexist Kid! They better be pretty things you buy her. :wink:

I don't need one boxed, just looking for one with the controller and overlay. I do believe it had at least one game built in. I simply have no clue what they are worth.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 am

mattyg wrote:Well....I just paid $250 AU for one with 3 games , postage and manuals - thats @ 125GBP or @ $190-210 US
Now ...how do I hide this one from the wife? :oops:
Sounds like an addiction. Intervention time!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:35 am

I couldn't complain if he were my hubby. As long as it's his money and he's not spending it before the bills are taken care of, all he'd have to do is keep it outta my way.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:43 am

I never got to the point of buying stuff before paying bills. I've never had troubles there. I would always buy games and not even get to playing them right away or even at all. I had a brand new Final Fantasy 12 that I busted the shrink rap off a year later just to try it on a ps2 emulator for about 30 mins. I still have a FF X-2 in shrink rap. I prolly wont ever open that one though lol. I stopped buying games that I would like to play and wont buy a new game until I have finished the one I am currently playing. I've had my 360 for over a year now and I still only have 5 games for the thing.

With my new job promotion though I dont even really get time to play video games much anymore. Im in a constant cycle of sleep/work. I make more money but have no time to spend it. Early retirement for me!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:36 am

I make more money but have no time to spend it.
If I had a dime for every time I heard that, I'd have money too (but w/time besides) :wink:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:15 am

3DO Experience wrote:That is soooo sexist Kid! They better be pretty things you buy her. :wink:

I don't need one boxed, just looking for one with the controller and overlay. I do believe it had at least one game built in. I simply have no clue what they are worth.
It's not sexist it works on all people. It's a trick I use frequently on my boss. I always enter a drinking session with an agenda :)

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:16 am

3DO Experience wrote:That is soooo sexist Kid! They better be pretty things you buy her. :wink:

Shoot for under $100. They used to be $100+ but I think the market has dropped for them lately.

It comes with Minestorm built in; it's an Asteroids clone.

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Post by desiv » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Got mine off of ebay for $65, but that was many years ago.
(It took me 3 months after I paid before I actually got it too, and I was sure I'd been ripped off, but it eventually showed up..)

Not only is there Minesweeper built in, but there's a great homebrew community with lots of great new games.

I also picked up some 3D goggles (not the original 3D imager (which finding makes getting a 3DO light gun look like a piece of cake) but a new device that hooks to the Vec and comes with a pair of LCD shutter glasses which work pretty well, tho I can't compare it to the original imager) and a multi-cart.
Not sure the multi-cart is still available, but last I checked, there was a RAM cart (Vec-ram?) that was even better.

I love the Vectrex. Admittedly, the 3DO is my second fav console next to the Vec.

desiv