Got an Amiga again!!

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

desiv
3DO ZERO USER

Got an Amiga again!!

Post by desiv » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm

I had a 500, and then a 1200, back in the day.
Before I sold out and went PC to make money.

Been wanting to get back into it, preferably with a 1200, but they are too infrequent and pricey. So I decided to just get back into it and picked up a 500 with 1M and 2 drives.
No monitor or modulator yet, so it's monochrome, but it's a start.

Glad I did. It's still as great as I remember it.

Also scored after that. Went into my local electronics shop and went to their "junk" section in back.
Actually found an Amiga mouse (mine came with a trackball..) and some original productivity software (DigiPaint2, Photon Paint, DPaint III, Professional Page, etc..).

Also (and I think this is very cool) I saw this rectangular gray box with 3 ports on it. Hmmmm. Picked it up and flipped it over...
A-Max!!
Yeah, in the day I had the pirated software-only version, but I never even saw the hardware in person. I always thought that it was the most incredible thing ever!!!!
I also found the original software disks for it.

Took my bundle to the front, and the guy said, "Oh, from the back there? How about $4".
I said, "Oh.. sure.." :-)

:lol: :shock:

desiv

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Nice!

Never sold my A600 and kept all the games to boot. However I did buy an A600 HD a few years back and it works like a dream. Been meaning to rebuild it into a brand new pure white chassis I scored on ebay.

One stand out thing about the Amiga for me was the game music. Project X, Flashback, Uridium 2, Monkey island 2, they all had something that modern machines kinda like to the sound quality.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:35 pm

The last time I was at the garbage tip/rubbish dump I came across a box full of Amiga software - I'll see if there is anything worthwhile on my next trip! (they have a shop there where all this stuff gets cleaned up and sold!)
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

JuvUK
3DO ZERO USER

Post by JuvUK » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 am

the Amiga still rocks! ;o)

i have an A1200 with 3.1 roms, an 060 running at 50mhz with 32mb ram a scandoubler, 60gb hard drive, slimline dvd drive and a pcmcia wifi connection to broadband and a cf card reader. With this bit of kit it's still possible to use it as an everyday machine for games, music, internet and some office stuff (slow but usable)
Kinda like the 3DO it was way ahead of it's time.

cheers, JuvUK