THQ has no Sympathy

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

THQ has no Sympathy

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 am

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?4 ... 7e63d4c55c&

How long can an industry carry on when the manufacturers hate the resellers, and both resellers and manufacturers abuse the end users and the end-users are convinced they're being ripped off, but they're aren't clear how.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25 am

If we made more than 15% on new games, maybe I wouldn't suggest these money-grubbing shitheads should take the bus down the pretentiousness turnpike to the clue factory... guess if they'd go for the cheaper one, by the way...

The devs are crippling games for repeated sale? We'll just have to price the used stuff even lower, which encourages more customers to wait a shorter amount of time for cheaper games. Who's causing this vicious cycle? It ain't me, I'm not nearly as fat as these CEOs.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am

Precisely.

What they need is a business model that focuses on making good games people want and will pay a preimum for.

I'm looking forward to Vanquish, GT5, Uncharted 3 and possible some others. Anything else I buy will be second hand.

THQ in particular make games that scream "Only buy when cheap/second hand"

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Ahhhh THQ. I don't think I've EVER seen them produce an even half-decent game by themselves. Ever.
They feel they're getting screwed over by the resale market? Well, I have no sympathy. Also, woe betide those who show disdain toward the collector market.
Not that I care much. Most THQ games I wouldn't even bother buying period, new or used. I just hope the other companies don't get stupid(er) and follow their example.
"C'mon, let's go give somebody a bad day!"

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Most already do. Of the recent games I've brought into the shop, all but two have codes for unlocking content that's already on the disc. Battlefield Bad Company 2 has a code for unlocking multiplayer items, Mafia II has an entire scenario that'll cost secondhand users ten bucks. Pretty much the only winners I can think of that just give you content are Metal Gear Solid 4 (an encyclopedia) and Arkham Asylum (the Joker missions are free to all without a code) though I have seen free content later get a price slapped on it.

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm

And this, dear friends, is why I only collect pre-PS2...
The entire concept of online play and down-loadable content on consoles is fundamentally flawed, and nobody in the mainstream media seems to be able to see it. Now, these games work GREAT in the short term. The VERY short term. As long as the servers still exist, and the content is still available, people are good to go.
What happens though, in a few years, when the current generation of consoles is discontinued? I'll tell you exactly. If we're lucky, a couple years afterward, all the shiny online services for these games we have now will disappear the second they stop making money.
It's not going to be WORTH collecting for the current consoles.
Used game buyers, in particular, are the first to suffer. We're already being locked out of many of these features, simply because we didn't buy a shitty game first hand.
It's a crime, I say.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Barnyard for GameCube is very good.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 pm

Auto-Fox wrote:...nobody in the mainstream media seems to be able to see it... As long as the servers still exist, and the content is still available, people are good to go.

Bingo.

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes. And then it goes away...