Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:39 pm

I've always loved point & click games, and have been playing through several as of late. Right now I'm playinf FOA, which is often said to be one of the greatest point & click games of all time.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the game. In fact, in some ways it is brilliant. The 3 different paths you can take that alter the puzzles & story, and the fact that puzzles change offer good replay value in a genre where it normally lacks. :)

But I hate the maze. :evil: I hate the backtracking, I hate the unvaried scenery, I hate the lack of characters to interact with, I hate having to use a walkthrough (put skelton cage in pool to trap a crab to feed to the octopus :roll: ) It has been good up til this point ...

I hope I am near the end (yes, this is my first time playing it ... almost 20 yrs after its release)

Overrated? :?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 am

I never played it, despite really being into those kind of games for a time. I suggest Déjà Vu, Shadowgate and Uninvited. Déjà Vu being the hardest and Uninvited being easiest. Déjà Vu II and Shadowgate are about the same difficulty.

However if you want a good one on the 3DO (other than Myst) try HELL: A Cyberpunk Thriller. It isn't by any means easy though.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:10 am

Shadowgate.... grrrrr face! I could use a guide to figure that game out, but im sure the game wouldnt be any fun that way.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:10 am

I love Deja Vu, but I consider that more of a text adventure than a point n click game (although the genres do blur)

FOA started strong, but really I just detest mazes (and foa has a couple, and they are long) It bugs me on multiple levels. :evil:

I love point n click games that are loaded w/lots of interesting characters to talk to. Revolution nailed this down w/Broken Sword & Beneath a Steel Sky which are my favorites. :D

Actually, 3DO is home to one of the best of this genre imho and that is The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes. It never gets talked about, but it is outstanding! I really liked it when I first played it when I was a teen. Since that time I've read all the Conan Doyle books, and now I like it even more thanks to its accuracy and attention to detail. It has aged wonderfully.

Anyway, I'm nearly done the fists path of foa, and I've started the team path w/my wife. Final verdict still to come on foa.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 am

Don't worry Bry, it's a challenge but not too hard. I love the company that made those games. They really make you think.

oooo Beneath a Steel Sky, I have multiple copies of it but still haven't played it. :oops:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:53 am

oooo Beneath a Steel Sky, I have multiple copies of it but still haven't played it.
BAN REQUEST!!! :twisted:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Wait wait, what's this?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:11 pm

AAw, he's been waiting for that.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 am

:D

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:44 am

I have been playing these recently. http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:44 am

It's the permaban icon I used on my old forums. The forums mysteriously broke about three weeks after I set them up and I only had five users, so I decided to call it a day with them.

Had a fantastic arcade module installed, though.

Mobius

Re: Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

Post by Mobius » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Trev wrote:But I hate the maze. :evil: I hate the backtracking, I hate the unvaried scenery, I hate the lack of characters to interact with, I hate having to use a walkthrough (put skelton cage in pool to trap a crab to feed to the octopus :roll: ) It has been good up til this point ...
As far as old adventure games go, that puzzle sounds downright logical.
3DO Experience wrote:I never played it, despite really being into those kind of games for a time. I suggest Déjà Vu, Shadowgate and Uninvited. Déjà Vu being the hardest and Uninvited being easiest. Déjà Vu II and Shadowgate are about the same difficulty.
I love Deja Vu! But I beat it in one sitting... I have Shadowgate on my shelf, ready to be played, but it's a little disappointing to hear it's easier. I also want to get Uninvited one day.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Wanted to love Deja Vu... tried. Even had Raymond Chandler references for about the first two seconds. But to piece things together, you have to follow such clues as the cracked toilet... obviously the corpse of the fat woman was on it! Just... no.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 pm

BryWI wrote:I have been playing these recently. http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad
They are really good actually (great if you are a fan of the site) I've beaten the 4 of the 5 episodes.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:26 am

I am a big fan of homestarrunner.com. Strong Bad is awesome and the writers at the site are geniuses. Too bad they haven't been updating recently.

The games are pretty cool. Episode 2's big homsar scene had me dyin of laughter. I'm in the middle of the 3rd episode right now.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:32 am

Wow! You beat Déjà Vu in one sitting? I think I played it for three months before I beat it !

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:45 am

I was able to get into Shadowgate far on my own before needing a guide, but Deja Vu.. Hell no, lol. There was no way I was figuring that game out on my own.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:47 am

3DO Experience wrote:Wow! You beat Déjà Vu in one sitting? I think I played it for three months before I beat it !
The only part I had trouble with was the very end where you have to have EXACTLY the right items in your inventory or you can go to jail or whatever. I had to redo it to get it right. That was annoying.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:35 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Wow! You beat Déjà Vu in one sitting? I think I played it for three months before I beat it !
That sounds about right for me also. (of course this was before online walkthroughs) Had only good ol' Nintendo Power to rely on.

Btw, since you like the old Nes text games I have to ask if you've ever tried Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingodm?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:19 am

Mobius wrote:The only part I had trouble with was the very end where you have to have EXACTLY the right items in your inventory or you can go to jail or whatever. I had to redo it to get it right. That was annoying.
Yes, all the things you have to throw out and the real killer... you have to have letters out of the envelopes!!!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:36 am

Trev wrote:That sounds about right for me also. (of course this was before online walkthroughs) Had only good ol' Nintendo Power to rely on.

Btw, since you like the old Nes text games I have to ask if you've ever tried Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingodm?
Yes it's a good and long game. Not as girlish as you might think, you don't even play as Princess Tomato rather you have to save her. I actually had a walkthrough for Shadowgate, they were online if you found the right BBS. The NES version varied from the DOS one. NES was better though.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Downloaded Princess Tomato on my Wii from the Virtual console ...

Oh, and I've beaten Fate of Atlantis using 2 of the 3 paths and am playing the puzzle path (wits) now. This actually seems to be my favorite so far.

My conclusion ... a very good game. I think nostalgia does drive a lot of the praise though, and I do honestly feel it is overrated. Howver, having true replay value in a genre that is known to have none does elevate it considerably (and makes it longer too) It doesn't beat Broken Sword, Steel Sky, or Lost Files of Sherlock, but I'd probably slip it into my top 10 for point n click games.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:13 pm

I really need to go through the game room and pull the duplicates. I have to get you boys playing the real thing instead of paying for downloaded software.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I really need to go through the game room and pull the duplicates. I have to get you boys playing the real thing instead of paying for downloaded software.
"Go through the game room" ... where have I heard that before? :P

:wink:

Btw, only $9.99 on Steam (whom I don't much care for but that is besides the point) You can get get a Lucas Arts pack containing Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis, The Dig, and Loom. Even better, you can get both the talkie Loom & the FM Towns Loom which is my favorite version!

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:06 am

I bought Princess Tomato a couple years ago and played through the first section. I've been trying to figure out what game to play next, so I think that will be it!