Gran Turismo 5

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Gran Turismo 5

Post by Vance » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

I have 49 cars and no sleep. The B-Spec racers are morons, but otherwise I haven't been this wrapped up in a game for years.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:43 am

I have this.

First off 230mb of update already. Grrrrrrrr.

I'm only just starting but it's the same game it always was. The best car I have is a bright red mazda mx-5 (miata) with a stage 3 turbo that I regret buying because yes you do go faster but yes it needs all the other expensive bits to be of any use and I would have done better putting the 45k credits into a better car. The 45000 credits was raised selling off my won cars - that as it also transpires - I needed. So then, jjust like gt, gt2, gt3 and gt4.

The graphics are ace and a let down at the same time. Not all the cars have interiors, and the one car I do own with an interior, my mazda, is wrong. I know this because I actually owned a japanese import mx5. And it's not minor either, you are seated way too high up and the most striking thing about getting into an mx5 despite feeling you are sat on the tarmac is the mound in the middle of the bonnet (hood) which is missing in the game.

The cars in tunnels remind me of megarace - something is very wrong. And the rear view mirror is a tribute to microsoft game of the early 2000s - Mid Town Madness.

The first Top Gear challenge, you can actually hear Jeremy Clarkson cackling too himself at the idea of racing identical camper vans around the Top Gear Track.

Cars still bounce, and damage is not at all realistic. Looks good though.

Enough moaning.

The early farty little car races which bored me silly, are now fun. When you are grinding away to get cash, you don't feel resentful at all. I always liked the golf gti vs ae86 vs mx5 races - they are ace, but the yaris, mazda girlio and 1.1L trolley races were too slow. But now, they are fun.

The car handling is astonishing. So good.

Licenses, so far, seem to be optional.

There is a new track which has a full circle in it which is absolutely ace.

It's a bazzilion times better than the very sterile forza.

I haven't figured out how to upload youtube vids.

The car selection is nice. Plenty of old cars which I prefer to supercars. Lots of old japanese cars that only recognise from old godzilla movies.

I haven't tried b type racing because I didn't like it in gt4.

I'm hooked too :)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:59 am

Why did we never trade PSN IDs? PM me yours... screw it, this forum is full of Shenmue-loving, Sony-loathing, irrational weirdos. Mine is TheRealVance, because I am the real Vance. Everybody who hogs this one is usually a Ted Vance, which is not a real kind of Vance at all.

Anyway, there is only one point on which I beg to differ. I don't feel this one feels the same at all. I can feel every wheel dip and curve as if it were real or if I were a loony. It helps that I'm using the official Logitech Driving Force GT, which feels free to turn in the direction the wheel really would and will attempt to ruin your racing line in a realistic fashion by hammering around. It layers on this difficulty as easily as it layers on the ease of having actual racing controls, which easily makes up for the realism of having a shitty Lotus Elise lose the back end because that's pretty much what the Lotus Elise does whenever you need to make a turn at over 2mph.

The dashboards I give them a mulligan on, simply because in the Gran Turismo 3 days it was already taking the tiny perfectionists three weeks to put together a single car model. I can't imagine the crunch that happened when Sony said "Look, it's out before the Christmas rush or you're all going to have accidents in the shower." While I wish they'd let me photograph any car, I just don't care enough about the dashboards as I do that they get a '66 Mustang coupe on the DLC asap.

My main complaint is the smashy smashy AI, which puts in less than a token amount of effort to avoid smashing you into disqualification on the brutal license tests. I now have the S license, but after the National A it's largely in bronze. I'm fine with going up against skilled racers, but when it feels like it's penalizing you for not being the home team, that's too much. Still, I persevered and got all the free cars I could. Did you get the '62 Buick Special? What a beast!

What knocks me out is that despite the pressure, they managed to get a bit of auto encyclopedia in like the dude always wanted to. I have a German WWII vehicle, and I know there's another one with the dual car/boat action. I feel like holding a War Crimes Rally.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am

I wish I had this game, and a ps3, and the wheel. I had so much fun with gt4 and the wheel. I put so much time into that game it was ridiculous.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 am

Cool. I'm will2097 (same on xbox, but I havn't switched that on in months :)

I'm in a train to basinstoke at the minute but I will add you tonight :) snow permitting.

What do you think of NFS? I was modestly dissapointed but the online bit is good, especially for long distance relationships since we aggreviate and challenge each other without being online at the same time :)

I love GT. Always have. I converted GT1 and 2 to run on the PSP this yearand loved them all over again.

I have the frog eyed WW2 german car I won. I also have an unmodded s2000 which I intend to have race ready after a few more grinds. I also won a bunch of concept cars - but they leave me cold. I'm okay with European and japanese cars but the american ones I don't really know. So it is always the night rider car or the canonball run car. I do know the mustang mind you, and the camero ss but I don't know what they are until I see them. I guess its like the Carlton Lotus to you, a car which I am gagging for.

The internet is good for tuning. Hoardes of people with beards and sandles post perfect settings for each vehicle for racing or drifting or top speed. Saves me ignorantly guessing. The one thing I must try not to do is not drive the stock cars. The feeling of improvement as you upgrade and tune the car is really satisfying.

:D

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:48 am

Over 70 cars. I have two Ferraris and three Lamborghinis. I wish I could squeeze more performance out of my '66 Shelby Cobra 350.

Finally got over the load time for GT TV and wow. Just... holy crap. The featurettes are actually really damn good, including coverage of the Monterey festival. A whole clip is devoted to the classic car restoration races. Everything from Model Ts and Hupmobiles up to Jay Leno showing off his crazy tank car.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 pm

I just wrecked that Cobra you gave me. f**kin' awesome wreck mind you.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:01 am

When you return that, I'll loan you my 62 Buick Special

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:19 am

Unlocked the full Nascar races. Time to pretend my gal is my sister

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 am

Left turn! Woooooo! Left Turn! Woooo! .... wait... What is that? .... LEFT TURN! Woooooo!

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 am

Actually, half the races in the Nascar series are on GT tracks.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 am

BryWI wrote:Left turn! Woooooo! Left Turn! Woooo! .... wait... What is that? .... LEFT TURN! Woooooo!
Same as F1.

wait... wait... wait... meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow whoosh wait... wait... wait...

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:58 am

I hear you could retire on the salary from a single F1 race, but who knows how accurate the idiots I know are.

Still, makes me want to check out getting into kart racing. Never settle for ordinary.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:46 am

I remember Michael Schumacher was earning £20million a year in F1, about 10 years ago. So, say that's £30 million now, and there are about 20 F1 races a year. £1.5 million / $2.0 million for a race? Panama here I come. Stall it on the line, quit in embaressment, 1 x white suit, 1 x big hat and 1 x 1965 Mercedes 600L. Sa·yo·na·ra suckers.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:50 am

If it wasn't for that Cobra you leant me, i would be really struggling. Still there something not very 'Real Racing Simulator' about a 210Mph cabrio blasting past all the Ferraris and Lamborgini's.

Just tried the Top Gear Trials, the NASCAR trials, and the Italian tour trials. Got angry, gave up. :wink:

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Whoever designed the Top Gear challenges was an ass. I finally got gold on hippie bus and Kubelwagen, but only bronze with that slippery Elise. The Nascar events are some of the most demanding, especially when you have to hit GT tracks.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Vance wrote:Whoever designed the Top Gear challenges was an ass. I finally got gold on hippie bus and Kubelwagen, but only bronze with that slippery Elise. The Nascar events are some of the most demanding, especially when you have to hit GT tracks.
... I got 2nd in the Lotus Top Gear challenge and second or third in Camper Van one. The NASCAR ones drive me nuts because for at least 100 times I was 0.01 seconds off.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 pm

The trick on that runway track is figuring out where the other cars break too soon and abusing that

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:27 pm

had enough of "dead world" racing games since PGR1.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 am

Vance wrote:The trick on that runway track is figuring out where the other cars break too soon and abusing that
And with the camper vans at least - not braking.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm

The Kubelwagen challenge is much the same.

I am trying my damndest to get racing fit. I'd like to at least rank in GT Academy. The episodes from the EU 08 Academy that come with the game are incredible.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:31 am

Huh. I turned off steering assistance and the ABS on Nascar. Turned it into a cakewalk. I have a ton of free muscle cars... my favorite kind.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK87YLmagt4

I will be driving like this by the 20th

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am

German Sports cars are awesome.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Hell yes. The Germans figured out the right amount of power to weight ages ago

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 am

I declare the London British light sports car race the best race in any car game ever. It was just ace. I had a Lotus Elise 190 lightly tuned and it's just sideways on every turn, brilliant.

And Vance, I have every intension of repaying your generosity for the Cobra, just as soon as I see a RUF BTR :) I saw a CTR go buy, but the BTR is the one that only knows how to win :)

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:27 am

Have that one, I think. And the godly Bugatti. I need: One more exp level to do the first endurance race, a full pro race car.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:45 pm

Most annoying event: Grand Tour Eiger Nordwand

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:48 am

My cornering still kind of blows. Rallies are out of my league, aside from the easy snow ones. FOUR DAYS TO SHAPE UP.

Get a 350Z and lets race.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:16 am

Vance wrote:My cornering still kind of blows. Rallies are out of my league, aside from the easy snow ones. FOUR DAYS TO SHAPE UP.

Get a 350Z and lets race.
I'm on holiday after today. I understand the principles of cornering, breaking, apex, bla, bla, bla, it's just the putting it into practice I suck at. Mind if I use a 300zx?