Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Supreme Court Strikes Down Law Banning Sale Of Violent Games

Post by NikeX » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:20 pm

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Great news. I hate those people that try to jump on the bandwagon and want violent games banned. They have age certificates you idiots!! If you buy a 15 or 18 cert game for your child because you can't be arsed saying no, well hey guess what? It's YOUR fault!!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am

I know video games mad me into a gun wielding maniac. Any time I see a jack wearing orange I blow him away! Friggin' Gotcha!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 am

Nintendo had me doin shrooms at the age of 7. IM PERFECTLY NORMAL NOW THOUGH!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:58 am

:lol:

Not to mention wading through sewer pipes. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 am

I always find the anti violent games thing a bit odd. Not least of all because I have played predominately violent games for years, but I never even been in a fight, or indeed hit anyone. Played racing games, and have a clean license.

I watched every horror movie I could lay my hands on, and listened to WASP, Black Sabbath, The Mission, Judas Priest and Sisters of Mercy and apart from going through a phase when I was 13 years old of wearing all black, I was generally been a good kid. Although I, as I've said before, Ferris Bueller was my big influence :)

The the worst thing I ever did game related, was when I worked in a Supermarket stacking shelves while going to college, and my dad came to pick me up, and I jumped in the car and went, "Let's go Mr Driver..." my father was unfamiliar with Capcom's finest as it turned out... And he didn't see the funny side.

Now, I do know that people will mimic anything. It's how the human species works right? But if they ban violent games, these types of people will just mimic something else.

Bruce Lee's mimics and school put me off Bruce Lee for years. It wasn't until I was in my late 20s and my wife made me watch Enter the Dragon. Then I discovered he was awesome. And not at all like the dumb-asses at school that mimic'd him :)

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16 am

I don't think we should ban video violent video games out right but I do think that kids should not be allowed to buy the games if they are below the age rating that is what the ratings are for so what purpose to ratings serve if kids can just buy the games even if their parents don't want them to?

I am kind of on the other side here, being mostly a conservative myself I do think that video games have crossed into the territory of too violent in recent years and would like to see some measures in place to tone things down not because I see a relationship between violence and video games but because it just shows how depraved our society is when everything has to be vulgar and violent. I can tolerate realism and can accept realistic levels of violence if it suits the game but me personally I dislike games that glorify violence and especially games like GTA that go beyond violence but also illegal behavior also. Video games used to be you played the hero fighting the bad guys and good and bad was clearly defined, now you can be the bad guy and people the peoples perceptions of good and bad have changed.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 am

I am glad this was shot down. America has problems with making laws for just about everything, especially when they are not needed. This especially was not necessary.

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:26 am

I just don't get how video games qualify as free speech? I think this decision is wrong. I am glad people keep trying to fight this stuff but it seams like it is a losing battle.