ok if I take the plunge

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Post Reply
User avatar
phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm
Location: USA

ok if I take the plunge

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 pm

and get a 3DO what are the best games you would recommend I start with based on the following criteria.


First I am skeptical of FMV games so even if they rock I wanna put those off for now I will look into the good ones after I get passed the other stuff.


Second, I already am gonna keep my eyes open for Samurai Showdown and Street Fighter but are there any other 2D arcade style fighters I should look for? I have decided based on my obsessive love of Mortal Kombat I am going to give Way of the Warrior a try.


I am not entirely familiar with what all the system can do but I am into action games where you shoot shit especially arcade style shooters so anything along those lines to recommend would be a good place to start.


Also I am very much into RPG games all kinds especially D&D stuff and FF stuff too. So anything like any of those would be cool. I heard there are a few RPG games for the console but have mixed information on them,


aside from that I have not much else to go on, will be getting Gex of course had that one before on either Saturn or Playstation once forgot which one it was.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:06 pm

There are already a few fighting game threads here on the forum (WOTW stinks btw)

Starblade rocks if you are looking for an arcade shooter!

3DO has a few rpgs, but I have no clue what you mean by "mixed info".

Btw, there are quite a few threads already like this. Favorite games, best games, games you'd suggest, etc... Check them out & bump them if you wish.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm
Location: USA

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:08 pm

ok will do.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

User avatar
3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact:

Re: ok if I take the plunge

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm

phatrat1982 wrote:and get a 3DO what are the best games you would recommend I start with based on the following criteria.


First I am skeptical of FMV games so even if they rock I wanna put those off for now I will look into the good ones after I get passed the other stuff.


Second, I already am gonna keep my eyes open for Samurai Showdown and Street Fighter but are there any other 2D arcade style fighters I should look for? I have decided based on my obsessive love of Mortal Kombat I am going to give Way of the Warrior a try.


I am not entirely familiar with what all the system can do but I am into action games where you shoot shit especially arcade style shooters so anything along those lines to recommend would be a good place to start.


Also I am very much into RPG games all kinds especially D&D stuff and FF stuff too. So anything like any of those would be cool. I heard there are a few RPG games for the console but have mixed information on them,


aside from that I have not much else to go on, will be getting Gex of course had that one before on either Saturn or Playstation once forgot which one it was.
Oh, did you read a thread somewhere? On some clueless forum perhaps? Well done. Which FMV games in particular? Or is it a pseudo scientific (i.e. someone else said) bullshit that i have forced myself to become accustomed too, that you don't like? Why don't you like FMV games? Care to describe one? I'd hate to feed an internet meme un-necessarily but you know...

User avatar
phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm
Location: USA

Post by phatrat1982 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm

I didn't say I would not play any I just said I would like to hold off, um I played a lot on Sega CD and from what I can see it looks like most of them are the same ones on 3DO.



What I don't like about them? I never said that I said I don't want to start off with those I want to see what else the system has to offer I only bring them up so that in case someone were to actually suggest a game they would know not to start with one of those, I liked some of the FMV games and I hope that the 3DO ports are better but as I already played those on Sega CD I am looking for new experiences or games I have not already played. Is that a good explanation for you? Cuz I am trying my hardest to be sincere without offending everyone but no matter what I say I offend you.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

User avatar
Calavera
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 am

Post by Calavera » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:00 am

I like FMV games but not on the 3DO, why put FMV games on a system that can't do FMV well?
Image

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 am

Calavera wrote:I like FMV games but not on the 3DO, why put FMV games on a system that can't do FMV well?
You still trying to get banned? :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1836
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 am

Primal Rage is a good port. Whether it's a good fighter or not depends on your tastes. It was a personal favorite of mine in the arcades so it's one of my top picks on the 3DO when it comes to fighters (of course, up there with Sam Shodown and SSFII Turbo).. 3dokid will tell you otherwise though. :lol:

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Austin wrote:Primal Rage is a good port. Whether it's a good fighter or not depends on your tastes. It was a personal favorite of mine in the arcades so it's one of my top picks on the 3DO when it comes to fighters (of course, up there with Sam Shodown and SSFII Turbo).. 3dokid will tell you otherwise though. :lol:
Better not give him any more fuel for the fire Austin ... I have a feeling when he sees some of the recent posts he'll be in a banning mood. :wink:
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
sneth
Nibbler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Location: STL
Contact:

Post by sneth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:40 pm

FMV movie games are terrible. Avoid at all costs. The FMV era of videogames is like the 1980's of auto manufacturing. Nothing good came out of it.

Some games do use FMV well though. Wing Commander III, Shockwave II.

I am not sure if I would consider these FMV games, but the on rails shooters like novastorm, burning solder, microcosm are OK. On rails stuff is kinda boring for my tastes.

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm

sneth wrote:FMV movie games are terrible. Avoid at all costs. The FMV era of videogames is like the 1980's of auto manufacturing. Nothing good came out of it.
If you are going to make such a broad blanket statement, could you at least give a reason or two why you feel that why? :?

I think that was/is part of 3DOKid's issues ... people make posts saying such & such sucks, but they can't even produce a single reason why they "feel" that way!

Btw, I'm not neccesarily saying that you don't have legitimate reasons for hating fmv games. But without giving even one, you do yourself a big disservice.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm
Location: USA

Post by phatrat1982 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I thought I did give reasons I said I played a few on Sega CD and nobody confirmed if they were any better other than graphics. If the only change is better graphics I already know which ones I enjoyed on Sega CD so I don't need recommendations on those. That was all I meant but obviously I am bad with words.


I do like Primal Rage I have the Sega, SNES, and 32X versions but those are the only ones I ever played other than the original arcade which as been years since I played. I heard the 3DO is one of the better ports though so that is one I will check out. I think I will start with the fighting games as long as the price is not too high.


I have been digging through the reviews and made up a small list of games that I am looking into so far here is the list I have made up,



Total Eclipse
PO’ed
Slayer
Soccer Kid
Lucienne’s Quest
Guardian War
Doom
Primal Rage
Gex
Samurai Shodown
Street Fighter II
Wolfenstein
Blade Force
Ballz
Way of the Warrior
Need for Speed


that is the list I have so far that is where I plan on starting.
"You can call me THE RAT thank you very much"
My Blog> http://ratodd.blogspot.com/
Youtube Channel> http://www.youtube.com/user/phatrat1982

User avatar
sneth
Nibbler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Location: STL
Contact:

Post by sneth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 pm

tell ya what. Phatrat

you get a 3DO, i'll send you a free copy of Ballz. I have too many as it is.
Last edited by sneth on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sneth
Nibbler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Location: STL
Contact:

Post by sneth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Trev wrote:
sneth wrote:FMV movie games are terrible. Avoid at all costs. The FMV era of videogames is like the 1980's of auto manufacturing. Nothing good came out of it.
If you are going to make such a broad blanket statement, could you at least give a reason or two why you feel that why? :?

I think that was/is part of 3DOKid's issues ... people make posts saying such & such sucks, but they can't even produce a single reason why they "feel" that way!

Btw, I'm not neccesarily saying that you don't have legitimate reasons for hating fmv games. But without giving even one, you do yourself a big disservice.
hehe, I'll throw it back by saying, can you name one legitimate reason for liking FMV games?

I did make the distinction of movie FMV's rather than games that use FMV.

I also am very fond of BrainDead 13 and similar animation quick time event games, but I also grew up with Dragon's Lair in the arcades. For some reason, i never group these with FMV titles.

User avatar
Trev
3DO ZONE MOD
Posts: 4033
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: States
Contact:

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Firstly ...
phatrat1982 wrote:I thought I did give reasons
I was addressing sneth (which is why I quoted his comments)

sneth wrote:hehe, I'll throw it back by saying, can you name one legitimate reason for liking FMV games?
I can name several ... but you are the one who voiced a strong opinion w/out reasons, not me. :wink: (I still don't know why you hate them, btw)

I don't want to sound too smug, so I will give one reason for now and say that with certain fmv games, I feel they convey atmosphere better than comprable offerings of the time. For someone who is big into games with story & characters (graphic adventures for instance) a game like Snow Job on 3DO or Burn Cycle on CD-i really immerse me into their enviornment. The use of fmv goes a long way towards that.

I can see why you might seperate Dragon's Lair & BD13 from other fmv games btw because of the animation. I take it you probably like Space Ace too (but maybe not Kingdom since it really doesn't have any QT events)
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

User avatar
sneth
Nibbler
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm
Location: STL
Contact:

Post by sneth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 pm

It's hard to get a sense of environment from grainy compressed video. Movie FMV is still quite bad.

Burn cycle is a great example, but the gameplay is mostly CG backgrounds. That would be like calling Myst an FMV game. Those games really blur the lines between an FMV game and a game that has FMV, which are separate IMO.

User avatar
Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert
Posts: 1836
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 am
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Post by Austin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 pm

To Phatratt, it may be in your best interest to take DOOM off your list. Let's just say that you have been warned.

Post Reply