Podcasts... anyone listen to them?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Podcasts... anyone listen to them?

Post by Lemmi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 am

just curious, what podcasts if any that you guys and gals listen to, because after 11 years of listening to howard stern, i decided that he doesnt care about his fans or his own show anymore, so i had to find stuff in other places to fill in the gap

the best one so far that i found is " Doug Loves Movies " (this is the guy who made Super High Me), he has comedians on to talk movies and play a game he created with Sarah Silverman and Brian Posehn called the Lenard Maltin game

i also listen to
WTF podcast with Marc Maron
Joe Rogans podcast
Adam Carollas podcast
Kevin Pollaks Talk show (this ones online with video)
The Nerdist podcast with chad hardwick

and one called
StarTalk Radio http://startalkradio.net/
that looks interesting but havent listened to a show yet

plus a few others i check every now and then
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:11 am

Nintendo World Report presents RadioFreeNintendo
Middle-Earth Minutes

Talk of the Nation
The Diane Rehm Show

Those last two are really just NPR but that's for the shows I don't catch.
I used to listen to a lot of Shoutcast stations but now I pretty much listen to NPR all day.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Ok now my list includes:

Nintendo World Report presents RadioFreeNintendo
IMPLANTgames (Featuring our very own Austin)
Retro Game Squad Podcast
8-4 Play
Idle Thumbs
Player One Podcast
Nintendo World Report's Radio Trivia

Pig Picture Science
WNYC's Radiolab
And I still listen to NPR.

I listen to these podcasts using Instacast. It is great! So many features and letting it automatically check and download podscasts for you is very sweet. I listed the podscasts in the order they are on my Instacast list. The only reason IMPLANTgames is second is because it's a biweekly show and RFN is every week. Idle Thumbs is new to me and I placed it where it is because they go off on tangents advertising for audible. Giant Bombcast isn't on there do to half hour (or more) long tangents about any random daily life thing.

Player One is down near the bottom due to that they don't seem to correcting volume differences and don't trim up the show (I play it at 1 1/2 speed). I listen only on earbuds and if one second someone is talking low and the next someone is yelling it hurts and is annoying. I've gotten rid of other gaming podcasts for not doing any normalizing. If you are too lazy to do any editing I'm not going to waist my time listening. Famicast has this problem, but sometimes I catch them on RFN, which BTW you can just speed thru the intro music, the tunes aren't bad but they player every note with ever instrument in the band so it sounds bad. LOL

It's nice to have a variety with shows where the podcasters have different ideas of what's good & bad. Nice to have some from Japan, some with industry people. And always nice to have a great casual podcast like IMPLANTgames, I'm not just saying that because of Austin, their gaming tastes are very much like my own and it's a relaxed show that stands out among the rest.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 am

I try not to listen to retro gaming podcasts.

They talk too much about "memories" and "nostalgia". Plus, you talk about game collecting enough, and it starts to sound stupid. I love looking at a shelf of games, but thinking about it makes me feel silly.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 am

To each their own. The couple retros that I listen to generally end up informing me on games I didn't know about or passed up years ago. And I usually have lots of fun playing these games I missed.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

3DO Experience wrote:To each their own. The couple retros that I listen to generally end up informing me on games I didn't know about or passed up years ago. And I usually have lots of fun playing these games I missed.
Yeah, I love discovering games I missed back in the day.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 am

3DO Experience wrote:And always nice to have a great casual podcast like IMPLANTgames, I'm not just saying that because of Austin, their gaming tastes are very much like my own and it's a relaxed show that stands out among the rest.
Thank you for the plug! I am glad you are still enjoying the show. :)

Myself personally, despite making one, I actually don't listen to podcasts. I've meant to tune into a few, but time is limited and I usually find myself busy trying to get other things done (or listening to music when I am doing chores around the apartment).