Air Raid (2600) on eBay

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Air Raid (2600) on eBay

Post by Austin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:39 am

Saw this over at AtariAge and thought a person or two here would be interested to see what this goes for in the end. It's been up for less than a day, and it's already up to a thousand bucks. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0878214731+

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 am

Heh, if it were me I would be torn between the cart and the money.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:48 am

Lately I have been collecting a little more and more "seriously" as the days go on and now I'm contemplating getting into things like this. The aura of just having it alone makes it tempting. Just slap a $1000 game on the 'ole credit card and pay it off bit by bit.. Granted, this one is going to go for a good bit more, I'm certain.

OK, I just need to keep telling myself that is a really, really bad idea.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:58 am

I've started thinning down my collection... but I'm still buying. I'm just trying to get rid of my redundancies.

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:18 am

Austin wrote:Lately I have been collecting a little more and more "seriously" as the days go on and now I'm contemplating getting into things like this. The aura of just having it alone makes it tempting. Just slap a $1000 game on the 'ole credit card and pay it off bit by bit.. Granted, this one is going to go for a good bit more, I'm certain.

OK, I just need to keep telling myself that is a really, really bad idea.
It's a bad idea if you plan to buy it outright. It's a HORRIBLE idea if you plan to put it on a credit card.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 am

Whoever buys (or wants to buy) this game, would it even get played? Or would it just sit in a collection?
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 am

Trev wrote:Whoever buys (or wants to buy) this game, would it even get played? Or would it just sit in a collection?
It would sit in a collection. At this level, it's just about having the item. Best to keep something like this in a safe, too, haha.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:43 am

Yeah, they will probably put it in once and see it working and then it will end up in a shelf. That's the difference between true gamers and pure collectors.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, yes and no.. I mean, one can game and collect, right? Air Raid isn't a quality game by any stretch of the word, so I have heard anyway, so it's possible even a gamer wouldn't play it. Of course they would try it a few times though (I know I would).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Austin wrote: I mean, one can game and collect, right?

Sure ... but it seems like many collectors aren't really gamers.

I don't mind collectors like bitrate for ex ... someone who has generously shared so much w/this community (both at large and privately) someone who obviously has a genuine passion for the console, someone who cares that much about 3DO (or any console for that matter) and has bought out the time to catalog and preserve a console's legacy, etc ... the list goes on.

But how many hoard just for the sake of hoarding ... for their stuff to collect dust? Who might have an M2 on their shelf for instance, just because" its cool & rare", yet all they know about it is what wikipedia says? :roll:

I hope whoever grabs this cart is to Atari like bitrate is to 3DO ... I hate to see stuff like this fall into the hands of people who don't really appreciate it.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 am

Austin wrote: I mean, one can game and collect, right?
I never said one couldn't but if someone only collects that doesn't make them a gamer.

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 am

Oh, without a doubt, I agree. They are bound to eventually get snapped up here and there by shrewd collectors that are simply looking for a rare piece or an investment, and I think it's sad when that happens.

I suppose at least we know through communities like this, or ones that revolve around the Atari, or ones for the NES, that there are people out there that are serious about both. :)

VertigoProcess
3DO ZERO USER

Post by VertigoProcess » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 pm

no reason to play it... it's suppose to be a horrible game anyway...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:27 pm

When I think how many fun games I could play for $3,600 bucks ... :roll:

I'm happy for the seller, they made out great! :)

VertigoProcess
3DO ZERO USER

Post by VertigoProcess » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 pm

yeah the seller posted on AA and said he had it when he was a kid, said all of the other kids wanted to trade with him for it but then didn't want to after playing it... good thing it was a bad game cuz otherwise he would have missed out on all that money...