Wii U

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Re: Wii U

Post by Austin » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:30 am

Anyone been playing the Wii U lately? I picked back up with mine after a short break (which happened after Pikmin 3 was over). Super Mario 3D World is out today (and I'll be picking mine up Sunday), and it looks like some other decent games are out now. I picked up Sonic Lost World last weekend as well, and it's relatively enjoyable (albeit shallow as the latest Sonic games tend to be). I also snagged Tekken Tag Tournament 2 used, which is very solid. Now seems to be a great time to invest in used Wii U games, you can get games that are just a year old for under twenty bucks.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:45 am

I just got Darksiders II, but can't play it until after X-Mas.
I use it all the time for Netflix as the tablet is perfect for it. I plan to go watch Special When Lit after I sign out.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 am

Spent a lazy Sunday playing the Wii U w/my wife. Pikmin 3, Luigi U, & Wii Party U.

I wanted Super Mario 3D World, but money is a bit tight at the moment and I ended up going with A Link Between Worlds instead.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Trev wrote:I wanted Super Mario 3D World
When money is OK again, pick it up. It is awwwwweeeeesssoooooommmmeeee.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Austin wrote:
Trev wrote:I wanted Super Mario 3D World
When money is OK again, pick it up. It is awwwwweeeeesssoooooommmmeeee.
So I've hear, read, seen, etc. I figure I'll wait for a bit and just buy your copy in a few months. :wink:

I'll be interested when some hard sale figures start coming in. The game's gotten so much positive press, I'm sure it's moving big numbers. Not to mention it should keep selling during the life of the console.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:57 am

Trev wrote:I figure I'll wait for a bit and just buy your copy in a few months. :wink:
You've figured out my affordable gaming plan!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 pm

3DO Experience wrote:
Trev wrote:I figure I'll wait for a bit and just buy your copy in a few months. :wink:
You've figured out my affordable gaming plan!
:lol:

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Trev wrote:So I've hear, read, seen, etc. I figure I'll wait for a bit and just buy your copy in a few months. :wink:
I don't know man, you've been leaving me hanging lately. ;)

In all seriousness, I probably won't be selling any more Wii U games (or games in general). I downsized heavily these last couple of weeks and I plan on keeping the games I have left (which isn't much, haha).

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:18 am

Ignore him Trev, pretty soon he'll be selling off spare pin balls and lights to buy a new Pin Ball machine. :lol:

Getting back on topic I wrote this in another post:

Yeah, my friends that are excited over the new systems are like, "Oh My Grod! Aren't you excited over system whatever?!?! You love video games how come you aren't freaking out?". Me: So what is new? How much better do they look? Oh just a little? Big whoop! My PC is still better than what just came out and those aren't much better than what you already have.

I have a Wii U, I didn't intend to buy it when it came out. I had to take it in place of rent. At least it's a visual upgrade from the last system, and the new controller is at least a reason to buy it. Headphone jack in the controller? It took long enough for that to come back around... the Wii U's controller has that too, touch pad... it has a touch screen. All of these my friends could have had for a year. Not to mention they use their systems for watching Netflix just as much for playing games, hell they could have had an on-tablet screen keyboard to look up titles faster, and they could take that with them to the toilet.

I'm not bashing the PS4 or the One, although I do enjoy that, I just can't get over how people are gushing over the new systems that, well, don't seem so new.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:40 am

3DO Experience wrote:Ignore him Trev, pretty soon he'll be selling off spare pin balls and lights to buy a new Pin Ball machine. :lol:
I believe it.

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 am

Oh whatever. :P

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 am

Because I've been playing Super Mario 3D World heavily, I went out and purchased Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS as well. I started playing it last night, and.. yeah, it's just not the same, haha. It's hard to go back after playing the Wii U version. It just doesn't have the magic of its big brother. Inferior visuals (as expected), a lower framerate, no map screen to freely run around, wonky controls with that analog nub (you can't use the d-pad as far as I am aware--I need to check the options for that), short worlds overall, and the level design doesn't seem to be nearly as creative or enjoyable. Plus, there's no Cat Suit, which was a ton of fun in the Wii U version. While I expected a few downgrades in comparison, I wasn't expecting it to be so much *less* enjoyable. After playing both, you can really see they went all out with the Wii U game, and fixed just about any problem with the 3DS release.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah the podcasts are exploding with people playing this and even buying Wii U's just for it. I heard in one that 3D Land felt like it was a game getting you ready for 3D World. (Gonna feel like an idiot if it was yours) And other podcasts hint that what he said was perfectly fitted.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:45 am

I loved 3D Land, got it just a few months ago and could scarcely put it down until I'd completed all the bonus worlds. It would have been easy for Nintendo to settle for a straight port to the Wii U. Great to hear that they didn't.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:29 am

Santa is gonna be bringing me Darksiders II for the Wii U, and it only cost him $15.

Austin

Post by Austin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 pm

3DO Experience wrote:I heard in one that 3D Land felt like it was a game getting you ready for 3D World. (Gonna feel like an idiot if it was yours)
Haha, no, it wasn't mine. I don't think we talked about the game until the show we recorded just two nights ago (who knows when it will be uploaded). :)

knightintosh
3DO ZERO USER

Post by knightintosh » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Just reading through some old threads and I'd be interested to hear what the Wii U owners are feeling these days? Still got the love? I sold mine last year but it was a tough choice. But, to be honest, even though I had a few games the only reason it was a hard decision was because of Lego City as I was loving it. But as I said in my previous post way last year:
3DwhO wrote:But then E3 happened. "Lack of software" didn't even cut it. I'm sure Mario Kart and the new Zelda in a couple of years will be awesome, but that was it! The only other must have for me was the Wind Waker remake, and that's a remake! DK looked good but not different enough from the Wii version. Monolith looked great too, but I though hang on, I spent £300 on this and that's all there is??
Looking at it now I don't see much changing, both in terms of software or the console's fortunes. Still a fan of Nintendo and a friend is giving me his original Wii so I can indulge in old Wii and Gamecube favourites such as Twilight Princess, the Metorid Prime trilogy, Paper Mario, Resi 4, as well as Skyward Sword which I never played and I'll wait impatiently to see what they do next hardware-wise.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I think this E3 was exactly the opposite. Nintendo won the show with nothing but games.

If you look at PS4, XO, and WiiU today, the games on are on the WiiU. The new consoles are sitting exactly where the WiiU was a year ago. Not enough titles because everything was in the queue. It's going to be another year or more before XO and PS4 have games. I'm sorry, but Destiny beta made me realize that game is a joke. As an avid PC gamer, Destiny feels like a well done indie game. not a blockbuster Bungie title.

I have 2 games between PS4 and XO. I have nearly a dozen WiiU games, with many more in sight. I do not include downloadable indie games. I have Steam for that.

I can sit and play Mario Kart 8 or WiiU Party while watching netflix with the lady. That's pretty cool. Nintendo can do Online now. Nintendo is THE best 1st party developer, no one is even close.

Now, don't get me wrong, the WiiU is flawed. You have to buy the expanded tablet battery. The built in battery is only 2-3 hours. Expanded more than doubles that.
The range sucks if you have concrete or brick walls. The tablet touch digitizer is only OK. It's fine if you don't have a modern tablet, but you will notice it if you do. It's APU will not keep up with XO and PS4, but it's not like the PS4 and XO will keep up with 4k displays anyways.

Final Word, buy a WiiU bundle. They are an excellent price, and you will have have fun.

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Yeah, the Wii U game lineup at E3 was somewhat impressive. My only complaint is that most of them aren't releasing until 2015, but at least we will have Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros to look forward to this year.

I am still enjoying my Wii U. Although, I have been tempted (just to have the "latest and greatest" in hardware) to pick up a PS4, I have restrained. Thinking about it now though it would probably be a waste if I did buy one, there's not much out for it that excites me, if anything. Likewise, that was the biggest factor in me selling my XBOX One I bought last December. Nintendo's software on the other hand gets me excited. Mario Kart 8 was a blast when I got it, as was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze that I bought a couple of months before that. Unfortunately, it's still slim pickings for the system when it comes to new releases, but I don't play enough modern games religiously that the current library curbs my appetite. I still need to go back and get through the bonus worlds in Super Mario 3D World, likewise with New Super Mario Bros U (and Luigi U). I still need to go back and get through a lot of the mini games I haven't completed in Nintendo Land. I just picked up Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed again (had traded it in last year), there is a ton of game for me to get through there. I also started Xenoblade Chronicles (played on the Wii U in Wii mode) in preparation for the new one next year (that looks amazing, by the way). Needless to say, the Wii U still has plenty as-is to keep me occupied.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:39 am

Yeah Nintendo floored Sony and Microsoft at E3. I haven't bought any new games lately but there are a good number on my to buy list. I use it every day, it definitely has the best Netflix interface. There are games that come out for other systems that you can't play on it but it's the same way for if you want to play Nintendo titles. WiiU for Nintendo games and everything else that comes out for it and PC/XBOX/Playstation for the rest. I had a chance to buy a second one and I almost did, the only thing that stopped me was not trusting the guy selling it.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 am

I would wait on PS4 or XO until you see that game you can't live without. Halo 5 or whatever Sony is doing. I don't really know.
There's not many issues with these boxes, but I'm sure the manufacturing has improved.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:16 am

Am very tempted by the lineup I saw at E3. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Splatoon were especially memorable, but there was a lot there to look forward to.

RetroGamingBlog
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RetroGamingBlog » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:09 am

I bought a Wii U on release. Being honest, I was a bit disappointed by the initial release, after Nintendo promised a stellar line up and a stream of solid games piped out every month.

Then it happened...

Developers pulled support and the gaming drought began. A slew of bad press from developers.

I'm relieved to say the drought is at an end and now there's nothing but top quality games, if they're games that appeal to you. I enjoy the 'Arcade' vibe the games provide. Especially the Platinum Games' selection. Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 ZombiU are all very very well crafted games.

I think Nintendo released with the intent to ride off the back of the Wii and that business model, but when they saw how badly that was affecting sales and their press they've changed tact and now, to me, it seems they're doing a gamecube - meets - SNES.

I really enjoy the Wii U and I do think it's a great system. One where you don't think so much about CPU and graphics when you're playing, not yet anyway. Where I do feel it is losing ground is on it's limitations to connect people in a gaming environment online, via party chat and interacting.

This has really damaged them, that such features were thought of, but left out due to their philosophy and ethos. It put them in light that they don't listen to developers, their customers or they don't understand the rapid change in the market.

I think the WiiU is their transitional machine to something much better. A lot of the staff will change out after that generation and with it something fresh. At least I hope so. Above all else I do hope they lock all their IP's to the console, and not port them over to other systems or phones. Because exclusivity is the one thing that has been helping them.

The future is still bright for U, X, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 1&2, Zelda, Fatal Frame - there's a lot of good to come. If you're in the market for trying something new/different. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:47 pm

My roomy just finished Arkham City. It was really nice being able to play Castlevania Bloodlines on the TV while she played on the controller. :D

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 pm

I'll admit I haven't been playing many Wii U games. However, I have still been using it frequently by catching up with the original Wii's library. I'm about 90 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles (have already finished it, the last twenty hours have been optional post-game things), and just the other day I picked up Rayman Origins (can pick up on an old save file from a few years back), Muramasa, Mad World, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and a couple of other minor releases. Started up a game of Muramasa yesterday and was hooked for a couple of hours. Then I went to Mario Galaxy 2, and wow.. Total satisfaction. I only played the first level, but I'm sure I'll be in for a great experience. Games like these should definitely keep my appetite satisfied and hold me over until the Wii U games I am interested in.

RetroGamingBlog
3DO ZERO USER

Post by RetroGamingBlog » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Well, thought I'd get my thoughts in on this, while it's been a bit dormant. I honestly think the Wii U is fantastic. I'll say it again. It's fantastic!

This machine isn't the most powerful, sure, and to me, using power and architecture stats in a imaginary game of console top trumps is ridiculous, if a little infantile. Games for me have never been about power, so much as the games. Which is a little cliche, i know.

The thing I dislike about Nintendo games is the lack of freedom. While in other games you feel a real sense of escapism in another world, I genuinely never get that with many of Nintendo's products, their games do feel a bit on rails. And that's fine.

I'd describe their games almost as an evolution of the arcade, especially Platinums games, and ZombiU is one of the first titles on the Wii U, and I think it's fantastic.

Graphically I think it still produces adequately in an arena of powerhouses, I never find myself disappointed, and I have much uglier games on the PS4. Also, as a parent, I can't wait to introduce games to my son, and when I do, it'll certainly be on a nintendo format.

I know they're not for everyone, there's still Nintendo games I don't like, such as Pokemon and Smash Brothers which are hugely popular, but I think if you haven't played this system, you're missing some of the best games out at the moment. Unfortunately, like most Ninty consoles, the games are drip fed, and I remember almost going 7 months before anything worthwhile came out. That first year was tough!

The gamepad is nice, very comfortable - but the touch screen can be unresponsive at times. Without a battery upgrade (7-8 hours life) it only lasts for 3 hours approx.

This console has a great library already and has some very good games. My favourites are:

Wonderful 101
ZombiU
Super Mario World 3D
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Zelda Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
RGB Website | Twitter | Twitch Stream
Streaming 3DO every Mon, Weds & Sat 8pmGMT

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 pm

Been a while since there's been discussion here... I've actually been rethinking getting a Wii U. It took a while for Xenoblade Chronicles X to finally come out, and it looks like the open world Zelda may be held out for the next Nintendo console, so at this point I have to ask: With the system close to the end of its lifespan, would it be better for me to just skip this generation entirely (as was my original plan) and go all in on the NX? Xenoblade Chronicles X is still a must-have for me, as are a few other games on the system, but if the NX has backwards compatibility then I might as well play all those games on the NX. Anyone have any thoughts on how likely it is that the NX will play Wii U games?

Austin

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:02 pm

It's been a while since your post, but I think it's still worth it for Xenoblade Chronicles X. I've got a little over 30 hours clocked into it and am only a fraction of the way through the game. There are many other great Wii U games as well, particularly from Nintendo, and several that have been re-released as budget titles. So, even with a new console over the horizon, I believe the Wii U is still a worthy value at its current MSRP. Of course, you could always track down a used one, they tend to be considerably cheaper (I've had friends obtain lots as low as $150 in great shape).

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:33 pm

The main thing I'm hanging on though, is whether or not the NX will play Wii U games (in fact, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X itself on the day it came out). From the sound of recent announcements by Nintendo, it seems like the answer is no. What they're saying is the NX is not a successor, but a separate product line, a la the Virtual Boy. So it seems I'll have to look into getting a Wii U sometime in the next few months.