Best moments from this past gen

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Best moments from this past gen

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 pm

DS, 360, PSP, Wii, PS3, etc ... what are some of your favorite games, memories, and so forth from this past gen?

My best memories are multiplayer fun with my DS & Wii. Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, New SMB, Rayman Origins, ... so many others. Imo, nothing can match the sheer fun of me and 3 friends sitting around the living room screaming and laughing as we play a game competing or co-op.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:37 pm

I am going to stir up this topic with a twist.

Best moment/game/memory of the past gen that everyone will likely flame me for saying it....

Too Human (X360)

Yeah I still have a soft spot for that game even though most people hate it. I started playing it again a week ago. And now that I heard Silicon Knights has less than 5 employees, I dont think the rest of the trilogy will ever come out. A guy can hope though.

Best moment (not in flames) for me though is a tie between two games. GTA IV and Fallout 3. I put so much time into those games. I still play GTA IV to this day.

And the Gen we are taking about isn't quite over yet. I am looking forward to GTA V on September 17th (still upset I have to wait that long).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm

BryWI wrote: And the Gen we are taking about isn't quite over yet.
True.

For me this gen will be even longer, as I usually wait a couple years before upgrading. There have been a few exceptions, but I like the cheaper prices and greater variety that comes from being patient.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 am

heh

None
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 am

Lemmi wrote:heh

None
Hmmm ... favorite Game Boy Advance memory?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 am

Too tired to write a long post right now, but ive had a really good run with the latest generation consoles, mainly ps3. Only got an xbox 360 this past fall and have just 3-4 exclusive games for that. Never played the Wii though.

Right now im enjoying the Tomb Raider reboot. Hopefully i can afford The Last of Us when its released, if not, later this spring or early summer. Also looking to get the next Army of Two game, and of course GTA V this fall.

The console i have the most games for, and use the most is my PS3, and although im not a big roller when it comes to collecting consoles and games, i do have 11 or 12 systems, most of which are hooked up, so thats saying a little at least.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 am

Trev wrote:
Lemmi wrote:heh
None
Hmmm ... favorite Game Boy Advance memory?
hummm maybe it would be finally beating Zelda Link to the Past (4 times in a row). i never finished it on my SNES

in Mario Golf Advance Tour
beating that damn Elfs course with the one on, one putt just to play the rest of the holes.
i had to have played atleast 50 times before i got it, and shooting a
-41 on the Marion course
-40 on Palms
-39 on Dunes
-38 on Links
-37 on Mushroom
those are my all time best in the single tourneys

and thanks for bringing up the GBA, ive been playing Zelda, Mario Golf, and Extra Bases (GB) for so long
i forgot to play Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 am

For me, Splatterhouse on the 360. It was bashed pretty badly, but once I got the hang of it, I found the action to be visceral and quite addictive. It did a good job of staying in-line with the originals as well.

Some other ones (mostly earlier 360 titles), are Halo 3, Halo Reach, Devil May Cry 4, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, etc. I haven't bought much in the last couple of years outside of XBLA games, to be honest.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 am

Well all the games on 360 and PS3 I played on a PC so should I count them even though I didn't play them on a console? Otherwise you'll only hear Nintendo titles.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:37 am

3DO Experience wrote:Well all the games on 360 and PS3 I played on a PC so should I count them even though I didn't play them on a console? Otherwise you'll only hear Nintendo titles.
That's fine ... I only listed Nintendo titles. They have been my favorite game company for the past two generations. Besides the Wii, I had lots of fun times w/my Dsi too.

So, what Nintendo titles?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:01 pm

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Lots of two player fun & an awesome ending!!)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
No More Heroes
Wario Land Shake It
Guitar Hero serires

If I had been playing this on a console instead of the PC my #1 would have been Portal 2.
Last edited by 3DO Experience on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Actually, when i think about it, loads.

Uncharted 1,2 and 3. I loved Indiana Jones it was very much like re-living that.
Ridge Racers 1 and 2 on the PSP.
Killzone 2 and 3. It was loveable.
Rayman Origins.
PGR 4
Half Life 2. Just for the story made it for me, and the journey.
Ace Combat 6 on the 360. Not the PS3/360 release which was aweful.
Killzone on the PSP. isometric game.
Ridge Racer 7 on the PS3
Gurumin A Monstrous Adventure on the PSP.
Wipeout on the PS3
Driver 5 San Francisco. which was absolutely brilliant.
Midnight Club Los Angeles on the PS3
Vanquish on the PS3.
God of War III on the PS3.
Vanquish on the PS3. Added for emphasis.
Edit: that precursor to Final Fantasy 7? on the PSP. that was good :)

Edit #2:

Warhawk the online PS3 game. I liked this, because needs must as the devil drive, there were no games on the PS3 at the time, really liked War Hawk. Although i liked War Hawk on the PS1.

I enjoyed modding my PSP. That whole 'scene' for want of a better phrase was good fun.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

3DOKid wrote: I enjoyed modding my PSP. That whole 'scene' for want of a better phrase was good fun.
I just picked up a PSP cheap brand new since it's at it's end of life. There are quite a few PSP games I have wanted to play but never got the chance. I have to say, these days the PSP is almost too easy to hack. And I thought the Wii was an easy job.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:30 am

My PSP will barely run UMD's any more. :( I can play downloads from the Playstation store no problem though.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh I had to add Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:55 pm

3DO Experience wrote:Oh I had to add Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
No Skyward Sword?

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 pm

*looks down at floor* I haven't played it yet.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:15 am

3DO Experience wrote:*looks down at floor* I haven't played it yet.
We need a new 'Ban Request' image. :wink:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 am

You can sometimes find Skyward Sword for cheap. Where I work it was recently on sale for $20 and it was still the orginal production run with the sound track CD included. I think we still have them too. We had a bunch.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:20 am

BryWI wrote:You can sometimes find Skyward Sword for cheap. Where I work it was recently on sale for $20 and it was still the orginal production run with the sound track CD included. I think we still have them too. We had a bunch.
An absolute steal at that price! Between beating it the first time & re-playing it in Hero mode, I've clocked nearly 200 hrs with it.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 am

Don't worry about it. There's only, like, a three hour intro sequence. The rest of the game though I hear is pretty good... :wink:

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Austin wrote:
Don't worry about it. There's only, like, a three hour intro sequence. The rest of the game though I hear is pretty good... :wink:
You hear ... you mean you didn't finish it?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Pro Tip with PSP hacking. You can load and convert PS1 games. Don't load and convert Silent Hill and then sit on the train playing it in the dark. At one point, something happened in the game and I screamed like a 10 year old girl and dropped the PSP. On a packed commuter train. felt real cool. looks of cold disapproval and confusion as far as the eye could see.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 pm

3DOKid wrote:Pro Tip with PSP hacking. You can load and convert PS1 games. Don't load and convert Silent Hill and then sit on the train playing it in the dark. At one point, something happened in the game and I screamed like a 10 year old girl and dropped the PSP. On a packed commuter train. felt real cool. looks of cold disapproval and confusion as far as the eye could see.
:lol:

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:11 pm

3DOKid wrote:Pro Tip with PSP hacking. You can load and convert PS1 games. Don't load and convert Silent Hill and then sit on the train playing it in the dark. At one point, something happened in the game and I screamed like a 10 year old girl and dropped the PSP. On a packed commuter train. felt real cool. looks of cold disapproval and confusion as far as the eye could see.
LMAO.

I made a disc image of one of my PS1 games and tried doing that when I first got my PSP. It works quite well. There needs to be more screen options though. I bet there is some hack for that though.

NOSAJ19
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NOSAJ19 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:26 pm

One of my highlights this gen would be the Uncharted franchise on the PS3 really showcasing the improvement from the PS2 to the PS3. I also appreciated the fact that there was an Uncharted game available for the PS Vita at launch, which is a game that you could not expect to have saw on the PSP, which again is a huge technological step forward. I can't wait for the PS4! :D

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:46 pm

I just bought The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword with the gold Wiimote. I called up a friend who while I was last visiting went to a game store with and saw a used set. He said it was still there and it had the box (dunno about the audio CD) so I told him to buy it for me. $86! I would have gotten the $20 that BryWI mentioned (if they still had them) if the set wasn't there anymore. So YAY!

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 am

You'll have a lot of fun with it. And once you beat it, we can chat about it! I just replayed it in January, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:07 am

Skyward Sword hugely disappointed me in that, contrary to the hype, it does not support 1-to-1 controls a la Red Steel 2. The puzzle adventuring, on the other hand, absolutely blew me away. I'd long since begun to think I'd never again see a game with puzzles that exercise my brain this much. And putting my disappointment with the sword-wielding aside, the use of the Wii's controls is superb. Definitely a defining game for the system.

Here's a few others that left me floored this generation - though really, there's too many to list them all. Gaming these days is just glorious.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - If you ask me, not enough developers took advantage of the fact that the Wii is the ideal platform for rail shooters, but this one, with its thrilling action sequences and gads of cool bosses, makes up for it.

Red Steel 2 - As I played this, I kept thinking "Holy cow. I'm actually wielding a sword. I've got a sword right in my hands. And I can simultaneously control a gun using the same Wiimote? How the heck did Ubisoft get this to even work?" :shock:

Knights in the Nightmare - After about ten hours of this game, my thought was, "They did it. Sting finally screwed up on an attempt to innovate. This game is too hard to figure out, and this isn't like Yggdra Union where I'll have to start all over and once I get to understand the game I'll love it, because the combination of bullet hell and tactical RPG does not work and this game is just not fun." Several months later, I went back to Knights in the Nightmare and beat it. And loved it. :D (The tutorial is still the worst I've seen in any game, though. Ever.)

Xenoblade Chronicles - It's been a while since I've felt so involved in the story of a game, and I've never had such a consistently excellent gaming experience on a release that runs over 40 hours, never mind 100 hours! An RPG that innovates in all the right ways.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - I'll never forget getting to control a mountain-sized Bowser. It actually calls on the player to help create the experience of immersion, something I think more games should do; the way I said "Foooo!", I could almost feel the flames shooting out of my mouth. And so many laughs throughout the fantastic story.