Getting an MPeg file to be a ringtone

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Getting an MPeg file to be a ringtone

Post by Martin III » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Following on this thread, I've finally set down to get myself a ringtone for my IPhone 4. And... I can't do it. I followed all the directions on the relevant EHow page, but my phone has no more files on it than it had to begin with. Anybody know how to make an MPeg file into an IPhone 4 ringtone?

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:39 am

I'm assuming there's got to be some way to extract the audio from the file and convert it to a MP3. It can be done with YouTube video downloaders, so there's got to be a way.

*Edit: Oh, wait, just to clarify, do you already have your tracks as MP3s? It's just that when I see someone write out MPEG these days, I always assume they are talking about the video standard. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Surely the iPhones can use MP3s as ringtones, right? I mean, my N-Gage did, and so does my Android phone (I think).. Hm..

*Double Edit: I wonder how old that article is? I can't find a single date on it, so it's making me wonder if there's the possibility it was written based around older iPhone models. Perhaps it works differently now with the 4?

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Yeah, the files are in MP3 format. Sorry, I should have said that.

I guess that article could be based on older Iphones. Prior to looking it up, I tried just plugging the phone into my computer and dragging the files to "My Iphone", but I kept getting a message saying that the Iphone was disconnected. Which I know it wasn't, because I did other data transfers in the same session. (I also looked around Apple's site for help, but didn't really expect to find anything there. After all, they want you to buy your ringtones from their store, right? Too bad their store doesn't have the Slayer soundtrack.)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I didn't even look at your link but I have made ringtones that work for mine BUT I'm using shareware so I can only make them 10 seconds long. I did not use any iTunes stuff but let me see if doing the AAC trick lets me make one longer than 10 sec.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 am

UPDATE!!!! AWESOME!!!!

I got it to work! You need to follow the instructions from How to BUT don't drag your mp3 to ringtones. Drag it to Music, hell it might even automatically send it to Music as it did to me.

Go into the Album it made for your one track and do the convert to AAC on the track, drag the new file in the new album it made to a folder/desktop. Rename it with the m4r extension.

Delete the two albums iTunes made for you and then drag the ringtone to Tones in iTunes. It will show up and then you can either drag it from Tones to your phone or just do a sync. :D

The only trouble I had is length. I first tried an mp3 that was around two and a half minutes and it said she was too long. I cut it down to a section (37 sec) and that was not a problem. I don't know the time length max for the ringtones but hell my phone goes to voicemail in 20 seconds anyway!