All right, 'Kid, tell us what you think.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

All right, 'Kid, tell us what you think.

Post by Austin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 am

We all know you have a PS4. Spill the beans. Tell us all about it. :lol:

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Re: All right, 'Kid, tell us what you think.

Post by Lemmi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 am

eh! i think he will say the Xbox one is better :P
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Okay.

The Playstation 4 by 3DOKid.

The absence of the characters "3", "D" and "O" means it was only ever likely to be very average. And so it is...

So, in a phrase: "Nothing particularly new". It looks good. The interface is pretty slick. Everything looks swanky in 1080p. Be buggered if i could find the eject button. Or indeed where to insert the discs. One shocker, it doesn't play CDROMs; music or PS1 games either. A total surprise to me that took some getting over.

I got Killzone and Need For Speed in the bundle. Which are okay. They look good. But it's more of the same. They're enjoyable...

The controller is very nice. With a built in headphone socket (What a great idea...!)

My big problem is that it's not all that exciting. It's not all that removed from the PS3, or 360 for that matter. Which in turn weren't all that removed from the PS2 and Xbox. The whole thing is so commoditized, and there is nothing for them to aspire to. When the 3DO and Jaguar came out, the aspiration was the arcade machines. The chasm of difference between devices like the Atari ST / SNES and then the arcade machines was enormous. 3DO was powerful. Jaw dropping. The PS4 is just another step forward. It's not a leap. It's very polished, but... meh.

The games aren't made to inspire you to want a PS4, they pander to what the sales figures predict. I didn't look at either Killzone or NFS and decide to buy a Playstation 4. I bought a PS4 because I could. Unlike the Playstation 1 and the 3DO. Where one screenshot of Shockwave or Ridge Racer convinced me in a nano-second that absolutely no question i would get one. But then, like I say, that was 20 years ago, and I'm pretty sure Sony just sold a whole heap of PS4's to people that weren't born when the PS1 and 3DO were starting out.

The games I enjoyed on the original Playstation launch are all gone from memory now: Ridge Racer, Tekken, Wipeout. I think people like me are being edged out, not consciously, but in favour of open-world, online and first person shooters. That's what the masses want. Dinosaurs like me are fans of stick-shift cars, and we must make way for a world of automatics. And hope that some developers cast us a nod every so often.

Still, the PS4 is only in first-gear so far still. I'm looking forward to playing Uncharted 4, some ace combat, no doubt another Driver game. Ooh, That racing game, Drive Club looks good. Plus when the PS1 and PS2 games become available for download that will be ace.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Man, it doesn't even play CDs? That.. kind of sucks. (95% of my music collection is on physical CDs).

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 pm

3DOKid wrote:The controller is very nice. With a built in headphone socket (What a great idea...!)
You never disappoint! 8)

I haven't got a PS4. I said during the DC-to-Xbox era, that I wouldn't get a next gen console then (in 05, when the 360 launched), but by '09, when the PS3 picked up a bit more pace and landed RE5 and SF4 on me in the same year (plus rumblings of a then unreleased Silent Hill), I went all in.

However, the PS3 taught me (could have been the 360, before we go down that road) that the majority of games that were releases weren't really to me taste. I used to love FPS's... but not the so-called modern ones that require you to constantly demobilise and utilise a sight/scope. That's just not enjoyable to me. I'm more of a Doom-cum-Quake-cum-Halflife fan myself. Guess there's no room for 'my kind' anymore in the FPS genre. Also, there were a great deal of TPS's (Third Person) action, hot off the back of the previous gen where, tbh, I'd had my fill of great titles then (God of Wars, Devil May Cry's, Tomb Raider reboots by the lovely CD - to mention a few).

I own a cabinet with PS3 games in it. I own around 50 games. Many would consider that a lot, but historically speaking, if I look over my other consoles, I own at least that many games for obscure or underrated consoles (i.e. Jag, 3DO... N64). So, imo, 50 titles for a console released in 07 that's still current, probably right up until the end of '14... isn't that great.

On the basis that not many new IP's grabbed me last gen and seeing that the main genre's that receive the greatest attention today are not to my absolute preference ( I don't hate them or anything) I've taken the exact same stance now as I did when the 360 launched with a load of old gash like PDZero, FIFA 06 - Road to World Cup, King Kong and Quake 4; just sit and wait to see what happens etc. Although, if the PS3/360 taught me anything, it's that very little will probably release that REALLY, truly interests me.

The allure of that 'new console' tingle is so deliciously tempting, but I'll remain disciplined for the foreseeable. Not to mention, that PS3 backlog!...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:18 pm

I think we're in the same boat. I put some effort into Need for Speed PS4 tonight. It's actually very good. Even the online bit. But it's not a scratch on the original. I think it's because on the 3DO and the like, I had never seen anything like it. Where as NFS Rivals is good, it's just not sexy. And like i've said before, sexy sells.

On a more upbeat note, i am genuinely excited at the idea of Elite 4. And I'll be trembling, literally no doubt, when Oculas Rift lands - at which point I will be every game that supports it :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:15 am

Yeah, my friends that are excited over the new systems are like, "Oh My Grod! Aren't you excited over system whatever?!?! You love video games how come you aren't freaking out?". Me: So what is new? How much better do they look? Oh just a little? Big whoop! My PC is still better than what just came out and those aren't much better than what you already have.

I have a Wii U, I didn't intend to buy it when it came out. I had to take it in place of rent. At least it's a visual upgrade from the last system, and the new controller is at least a reason to buy it. Headphone jack in the controller? It took long enough for that to come back around... the Wii U's controller has that too, touch pad... it has a touch screen. All of these my friends could have had for a year. Not to mention they use their systems for watching Netflix just as much for playing games, hell they could have had an on-tablet screen keyboard to look up titles faster, and they could take that with them to the toilet.

I'm not bashing the PS4 or the One, although I do enjoy that, I just can't get over how people are gushing over the new systems that, well, don't seem so new.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 am

I did get to go on line with Need for Speed (I never play online usually) and then beat the sh*t out of everyone for some reason. All with a license plate that read '3DO'.

Made me chortle.

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:47 pm

3DOKid wrote:I think we're in the same boat. I put some effort into Need for Speed PS4 tonight. It's actually very good. Even the online bit. But it's not a scratch on the original. I think it's because on the 3DO and the like, I had never seen anything like it. Where as NFS Rivals is good, it's just not sexy. And like i've said before, sexy sells.

On a more upbeat note, i am genuinely excited at the idea of Elite 4. And I'll be trembling, literally no doubt, when Oculas Rift lands - at which point I will be every game that supports it :)
Glad to hear you're enjoying, as I've heard mixed things so far, especially in terms of running performance (framerate, etc).

If someone offered to go out and buy me a PS4 today, NFSR would have been my first choice with FPS A, B or C, being my second choice.

Also: Resogun! :wink:

-

Will the Occulus Rift be coming out for (what is now) current gen consoles? As is often common whilst surfing the internet and forums, I'd 'heard' that it probably won't happen due to the requirements of Rift being so high vs the PS4/XB1 i.e. more suited to current gen and higher PC use vs what is considered to be the 'lesser' specs of the new machines. Just to be clear; I'm not a gaming snob. I game on consoles, not PC's. I don't even own a PC ;)

Allegedly they were struggling to get it running satisfactorily on the new consoles :|

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

it's going to better on pc :)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:58 pm

3DOKid wrote:I did get to go on line with Need for Speed (I never play online usually) and then beat the sh*t out of everyone for some reason. All with a license plate that read '3DO'.
Sweet!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"