Quick NES fix.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

CJZEPP
3DO ZERO USER

Quick NES fix.

Post by CJZEPP » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:45 pm

Tired of buying new pin-connectors? Raging over the flashing red light? Unable to play Contra? Well I have the one 10-15 minute solution! (Tried this with my grandpa, he's got years of experience with electronics, worked with Grumman, the military, etc.) So, what is this magical trick that will fix most pin connector problems? Well here it is:
1. Unscrew and open your NES.
2. Locate and unscrew pin-connector area.
3. You know those white eraser that you see at the art store? You're gonna need one. Link: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/9 ... 8909262716
4. Cut a sliver of it off.
5. Rub it on all of the connecting points. Avoid rubbing too hard, and avoid extensive skin contact with the connector.
6. Re-assemble NES.
Should work almost good as new. You have just gotten all of the excess crud off of your pin-connector that has been building up for 20+ years. Hope this helps! :D
That feeling where you look at your posts from 2-3 years ago when you first joined and realize how stupid you were.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Re: Quick NES fix.

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 am

Yup, the old eraser trick does wonders. Also the connection can be lost due to the pins being bent slightly from years of carts being in them. You can bend them back but I always keep fresh replacements around just in case. BTW I have way too many NES consoles. :D
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:12 pm

Cool, will have to give this a try on my currently non-functional NES. I've often thought about getting at the pin connectors but wasn't sure what I could do with them if I did.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 am

Martin III wrote:Cool, will have to give this a try on my currently non-functional NES. I've often thought about getting at the pin connectors but wasn't sure what I could do with them if I did.
Some people prefer simply letting the connector sit in boiling water. No joke. (http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... did=115667)

Also, something to keep in mind that the OP didn't mention, this fix isn't going to help much unless your carts are cleaned properly as well.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 pm

WOW! I might try the boil method next time I need to. Like on a SNES pin connector, IIRC they come right off the board and I don't have any spares. (unless you count all the extra systems in my kitchen)
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 pm

3DO Experience wrote:WOW! I might try the boil method next time I need to. Like on a SNES pin connector, IIRC they come right off the board and I don't have any spares. (unless you count all the extra systems in my kitchen)
Yep, they come right off easily. That is, once you get past all the screws, heh.