Sega Saturn freak out.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Sega Saturn freak out.

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:56 pm

My friend bought at my recommendation a Sega Saturn bundle at Retro Game Trader here in Beaverton Oregon.

http://www.retrogametrader.com/

He took the first one he bought back to the store because it would 'freak out' after a while while playing Road Rash. He got it exchanged with another one but this one is doing the same thing as well after playing for a while. Attaching picture here to see if anyone recognizes this problem.
saturn freak out.jpg
Since its the second Saturn he has gotten from that store that is exhibiting the same behavior its leading me to think its the Road Rash CD itself may be dirty or something though he says its clean. I've had a second hand Saturn for ten years and its never done what is happening here.

Does anyone recognize this problem and can give me a more definite direction to look in?
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

NeoGeoNinja
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Sega Saturn freak out.

Post by NeoGeoNinja » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 am

Hmmm.

I've had bad experiences with my own Saturn hardware in the past, but find it difficult to pin point this one.

IF... he only has problems with this specific title (amongst others), then it can only be the game at fault tbh... somehow.

Obviously, if the same problem occurs with other Saturn games too, then it must be a case of 2x dodgy Saturns. Which isn't too far out, as they're not as invincible as many would portray them to be...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks NGN. I'll keep this in mind.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 pm

I have two of the first model Saturns and one of them will freeze up if you try to play a 3D game first. It needs to "warm up" with a 2D game first, then you can play a 3D game. It's worked fine for years doing just that, some Saturns are just picky.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 am

3DO Experience wrote:I have two of the first model Saturns and one of them will freeze up if you try to play a 3D game first. It needs to "warm up" with a 2D game first, then you can play a 3D game. It's worked fine for years doing just that, some Saturns are just picky.
Thats more bizarre than the CD warm up thing I found.

sneth
Nibbler

Post by sneth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 am

You should really have more than 1 game to test.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:28 am

sneth wrote:You should really have more than 1 game to test.
Yes he does but Road Rash is his favorite so I've told him to play others.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:59 am

I currently have four saturns :shock:
One was stores poorly in a damp basement for about ten years so after much cleaning it finally ran however would often freeze up at the boot up bios screen after the saturn logo appeared
/the polygons all join up and repeatedly crash the sound would keep playing. I opened it up and the main ribbon cable that's partly visible from laser assembly to board was caked in dust and grime. Carefully cleaned that with alcohol and it fixed the problem, could be worth a try.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:15 am

It actually happened to me. I can't remember if I posted a pic of mine here but anyway just looks like corrupted data. Will try the cleaning route.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:18 pm

I had a similar thing happen back in the day except it occurred with every game immediately. I called SEGA and tech support advised to unplug the system and remove the battery for a few minutes. Doing that cleared the issue. In this case though it sounds like a disc issue.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:39 pm

ok thanks. sounds like everything is due for a cleaning.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:19 am

Retrofanatic83 wrote:I currently have four saturns :shock:
I'll see your four Saturns and raise you nine. :P
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:27 am

Holy mother of...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:28 am

HEY WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? THOSE SATURNS AREN'T LOAD BEARING STRUCTURES!! You're abusing those poor things! Stop it!

Give them to me. I will love them properly.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:32 am

:lol: I want a model one pal machine. The weird controller and slight case differences appeal. Do like the white japanese model 2. And the grey original with the purple buttons and LEDs....genuinely just was given two of the ones I have for nothing by people who were going to bin them. Had to do slight cleaning on laser on one and little more work on another but just shows you how little thought people give to throwing away stuff that's junk to them. Working or not they don't care and think it's old skool rubbish but the saturn is one of my favourites. Shame things were handled so badly in the west.

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 pm

a31chris wrote:HEY WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? THOSE SATURNS AREN'T LOAD BEARING STRUCTURES!! You're abusing those poor things! Stop it!

Give them to me. I will love them properly.
LOL! :lol:
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...