Saturn QUAKE

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Saturn QUAKE

Post by a31chris » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:15 pm

I just got this at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo Swap meet.

This is a beautiful version of the game. Its awesome.

You were right Austin. It's very nice.
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Re: Saturn QUAKE

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:13 am

Plays really well with the 3D pad too!! And if you have Duke Nukem 3D for Saturn Duke contains an awesome mini game called Death Tank Zwei that can be accessed if you break every toilet and urinal in the game OR it is also unlocked if you have save data from either Quake or PowerSlave/Exhumed....but you prolly already knew that :)
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am

Dr.Enceladus wrote:Plays really well with the 3D pad too!! And if you have Duke Nukem 3D for Saturn Duke contains an awesome mini game called Death Tank Zwei that can be accessed if you break every toilet and urinal in the game OR it is also unlocked if you have save data from either Quake or PowerSlave/Exhumed....but you prolly already knew that :)
I knew no sucha thing
What came after the Jaguar was the PS1 which for all it's greatness, ushered in corporate development and with it the bleached, repetitive, bland titles which for the most part we're still playing today. - David Wightman

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:18 am

yeah well, watch out for Death Tank mate...it is a highly addictive little game and is even more fun if you have a Saturn multi-tap. I here Death Tank was also remade for x-box 360 although i've never seen it here in OZ.
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:51 pm

What? When did I say it was very nice? :lol:

When I play it now I think it sucks. Play it on Nightmare, then tell me how you really feel. ;)

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am

Austin wrote:What? When did I say it was very nice? :lol:

When I play it now I think it sucks. Play it on Nightmare, then tell me how you really feel. ;)
Maybe it wasn't you. It was someone reviewing Saturn Quake with a 3d controller.

I have a gripe about this version now. The A.I. is not the same. The monsters seem dumber. They seem to do things the PC version does not.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:03 am

a31chris wrote:I have a gripe about this version now. The A.I. is not the same. The monsters seem dumber. They seem to do things the PC version does not.
Yeah, the A.I. is gimped. Wait until you realize that half your shots don't register either..

I find Saturn Quake an awesome technical showpiece on the system. It has detailed environments, and the lighting effects are some of the best on the system. Gameplay-wise though, I don't feel it's a very good game. The enemies run around like they're puppets on sticks and the hit detection is atrocious. It makes the game extremely frustrating to play, especially on the harder skill levels. Just no point in playing it these days, anyone with a computer in the last 20 years can run the PC original perfectly.

a31chris
Jaguar MOD

Post by a31chris » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:18 am

I think I keep getting you and Kgenth confused.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 am

a31chris wrote:I think I keep getting you and Kgenth confused.
It may very well have been me. I did a casual play/lazy review of it a few years back using the 3D control pad. I hadn't played it seriously in a while at the time though. I did so more recently and did not have any fun at all.

Retrofanatic83
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Retrofanatic83 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Been after it for a while. I believe pal copy will run fine on NTSC machine unlike duke nukem which runs but is unplayable really/clips and misses out the ammo info etc. Anyone confirm this? Bought exhumed pal and it runs fine but the cutscenes are out of sync can live with that.