CAPCOM racist in Resident Evil 5?

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

CAPCOM racist in Resident Evil 5?

Post by Devin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 pm

I did wonder how long it would take until someone called the racist card against CAPCOMS Resident Evil 5! Here it is on Game Politics for those interested.

After reading Game Politics, my point is 'so what'? The previous Resident Evil 4 depicted an American killing Spanish village folk. Also racist I presume? I don't recall much controversy other than a minor jive from journalists towards CAPCOM, 'Did they consider the Spanish to be evil'! To which the developers replied 'No, we just thought the language was really cool and would give that 'foreign influence' we wanted to impose on players in the games world'... fair enough. I'm sure the setting for Resident Evil 5 is just as innocent, with the focus on bright exterior environments and the colourful communities of Africa providing a refreshing backdrop for the next installment of Resident Evil 5. I wouldn't be surprised if they choose Black villagers specifically to contrast with the bright environment simply as a design decision.

There's a point where games can go too far but I really don't believe Resident Evil 5 is one of those. What are your thoughts? As you may have gathered when video games get trawled through the press (digital or in print) about these alleged controversies it really annoys me. When it comes to this specific issue it appears to me that the outspoken party almost wants to be a victim! Until you truly see past skin colour and just accept a game for a game then this is bound to happen again and again and again.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:28 am

its all bullshit, and its just a reason to get attention for the writer

the people who see the problem of racism instantly are sometimes the most racist of all

but i could care less since i dont really care for the RE videogames, i like the movies better

just make the zombies green .. oh wait then the aliens from other planets would be offended :roll:
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:42 am

If someone could point out that it's a white man killing black zombies that makes me think they are the racists. Who else would think of it more than a person with a gun blowing away zombies? ZOMBIES! Who cares what color they are, they are the dead returned to life, I'd shoot them no matter what color they are!

But it's funny if you think about it, where does the zombie (zombi) originate from? Why in Africa and the Caribbean islands, so shouldn't it be more likely to have a zombie fighting game actually take place there? :D
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:20 am

I know there was some noise - but Spain hardly errupted after Resident Evil 4s Spanish speaking zombies.

And anyway - isn't the constant representation of white people as Zombies racist in someway? People of all races should have the right to be portrayed as mindless blood loving braindead zombies.

Anyway:

It's set in Africa. What would have been the general feeling one wonders if the Zombies had been predominately white?

The first Zombie, Felicia Felix-Mentor, was probably black anyway. Being a Haitian as she was. One might view the whole thing as Zombies being returned to the rightful black roots. No?

As for White killing Black? I feel it's racist not to have black people being killed. Black people have just as much right to be potrayed being shot to pieces by Chris Redfield and other Stars members as anyone else.

Sounds like Monty Pythons 'Life of Brian'. LOL

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Resident Evil has always been racist. Duh. Don't you remember finding Kenneth Sullivan having his head chewed off in the first RE game? He was the only black member of STARS and he was the first one to be killed. And how about that black cop you find in the RPD police station in RE2? He's a zombie and you have to kill him in RE3 I believe. This racism in RE is nothing new ;)
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:05 pm

OMG!!!1111!!!

Japanese game maker in Imperial Western Black Biohazard-alypse.

When will it end...?

etc.,

:wink:

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:59 am

:lol:

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 pm

Wont somebody please think of the children?
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:37 am

CrimsonGlory wrote:Wont somebody please think of the children?
hehehe I'm really staring to like this guy.

CrimsonGlory
3DO ZERO USER

Post by CrimsonGlory » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:35 am

3DO Experience wrote:
CrimsonGlory wrote:Wont somebody please think of the children?
hehehe I'm really staring to like this guy.
At least somebody does, now I no longer need to kill myself
"Didn' mean ta burst ya bubble"