Saturn rpgs

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Saturn rpgs

Post by Trev » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Has anyone here played the Saturn rpg Blazing Hereos (or Mystiria) Is it similar to Guardian War (which I love)? I recently hooked my Saturn back up and have been thinking about picking up some of its classic rpgs. Dark Savior has also cost my eye.

P.S. Before anyone suggests Panzear Dragoon Saga, I cannot afford it! :( I love the first two shooters though!

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:00 am

heh my dark savior is still sealed, but i hear its good, atleast i see it mentioned in alot of the best saturn games lists

i wasnt to into the more modern RPG games untill i played Everquest in 1999, i liked the 8 bit and 16 bit more back then because they didnt take forever to finish, and ive only played a handful of 32bit+ RPGs

i liked and played these so far
Albert Odyssey: The Legend of Eldean
WarCraft 2 - is this an RPG? or a real time strat? well whatever it is i LOVE IT, same with the Horde and command and conquer ;)
Shining Wisdom - i got almost to the end and my A.D.D took over with something else :)

other ones i have but havent really played
i also have Guardian Heroes - seller sold me a cracked CD so i never got to play it, or replace it after the negative i got on ebay, and im not paying $65+ again for just the CD when they used to sell for $25
Dragon Force - i started to play but i knew i would never come close to finishing so i quit
Magic Knight Rayearth - still sealed

i might have a couple more and if i do its because i dont know they are RPGs .. lol
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Mobius

Post by Mobius » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:31 am

Dark Savior rocks, definitely get it. It's definitely heavier on the action-adventure, though, so maybe not your cup of tea if you're looking for a traditional RPG.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm

I actually prefer action-adventure over traditional rpgs. Real time combat is better than turn based I think. I've been looking at pics of Dark Savior in my old issues of Die Hard Game fan and I think it looks cool, so I'm probably gonna pursue a copy.

So, nobody has played blazing heroes? From what I've read it looks quite similar to Guardian War (similar graphics engine, and a focus more on combat than story)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 am

here is a cool site that has the genre (just click on it to clump them together)
http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-com ... ,0,,0.html

you can then look for action adv/action rpgs
here is the list from the site they include japan and usa titles, you can even just search by USA (much shorter list, 6 pages instead of 35+)
Dark Savior --Action - RPG
Linkle Liver Story --Action - RPG
Magic Knight Rayearth --Action - RPG
Mahou Kishi Rayearth --Action - RPG
Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari --Action - RPG
Princess Crown --Action - RPG
Shining Wisdom --Action - RPG
Sorvice --Action - RPG
The Legend of Oasis --Action - RPG
The Story of Thor 2 --Action - RPG
Thor ~Seireioukiden~ --Action - RPG
Virtual Hydlide --Action - RPG

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-gam ... s-USA.html
nope no blazing heroes here, ive played blazing dragons tho :)
http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-gam ... s-USA.html
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:36 pm

Panzer dragoon saga!!!!!!!!! Thats all,if you cant afford it,sell your washing machine or sth and buy it NOW! 8)

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Hahahaha. NEVER play Virtual Hydlide! That is without doubt the worst game ever made.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:43 am

I've had Dark Savior for absolutely years. I paid full price when it came out originally on PAL. And I've never played it...

Sadly my computer room suffered a 'disturbance'. The desk collasped under the strain. I have to rebuild everything this weekend.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:23 pm

I thought Dark Savior was pretty boring. It's a lot like Landstalker for the Genesis except less fun.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

zenkov

Post by zenkov » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:01 am

Dark Savior and Virtua Fighter Megamix :lol: :lol:

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 am

I realize no-ones written here since oc 2007, But im a big saturn fan and feel the need to comment

Basically, knowing japanese would be a huge advantage as most of the good rpg's are Jap only releases, So here we go:

Devil Summoner, I think this was the 1st Shin Megami Tensei 32 bit release. Unfortunately it's japanese only but still playable if you can read some Japanese. If you've played the PS2 Devil Summoner Nocturne, you'd know what to expect. I think Nocturne was the 1st true Shin Megami Tensei release to be translated. This isnt including Persona 1,2 & 3 as they are just Side stories

Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
, Same type of game, much better graphics, awesome FMV'v and a brilliant storyline

Vandal Hearts, FF tactics type game, excellent storyline and gameplay. I like the SS version better then the english PSX version.

Wachenroder, Kind of like FF tactics but with a better storyline and graphics, quite a unique battle system. Storyline is freakin brilliant, check gamefaqs for that

Shining force episode 1,2 and 3, There are translated isos of all 3 of these out now

Shining The holy ark, another brilliant shining rpg, in english

Grandia, I think this was hugely successful in japan. The saturn version is a bit more adult then the psx version

Ok, Im running out of steam here, so also,

princess crown
riglord saga
Slayer royale 1 & 2
Sakura taisen

Ive finished alot of saturn rpg's

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue May 27, 2008 10:24 pm

Wow, I kinda forgot I posted this thread. Good to have it revived though. With all the new members that have joined in the past several months, I wish more old posts got a 2nd look.

But still ...
Has anyone here played the Saturn rpg Blazing Hereos (or Mystiria)
Someone? Anyone??

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Wed May 28, 2008 3:16 am

Yes,

I own Mysteria and played it through. It's actually a pretty good rpg which i got years ago in a box of titles, for $10. Give it a go with a bit of patience as it is a bit slow to start. Actually i'll put it on tonight and revisit,,,

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed May 28, 2008 4:46 am

I have not played Blazing Hereos or Mystiria but if you would like them dirt cheap (with no box or manual) PM me.

Also Grandia does rock but you really need to know Japanese.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu May 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Okay, I sent a pm, thanks.