Myst clones

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Myst clones

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Anyone know where could I find a good list of "Myst clones"? I hate having to dig through sites like'Just Adventure' only to find a couple. Any suggestions.?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed May 28, 2008 10:01 am

Oddly enough, I figured there would be a wikipedia page on this. There isn't. I'm pretty sure they list Roguelikes, but I guess no Myst clones.

Then again, my own opinion, if you WANT to play games like Morpheus, Shivers, and Dark Side of the Moon, it's a self-enacting Purgatory kind of deal and you should get what you want.

Still, a cursory glance doesn't net any lists... wait, maybe Mobygames... no, not even there. Sorry.

Best thing to come out of the Myst clone fad, in my opinion, was this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiztCIDlcYM

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Then again, my own opinion, if you WANT to play games like Morpheus, Shivers, and Dark Side of the Moon, it's a self-enacting Purgatory kind of deal and you should get what you want.
What can I say ... sometimes the mood just hits me to wander through static screens & solve illogical puzzles. :lol: Seriously, I'm even debating about picking up the ds port of myst despite the so-so reviews.

It is wierd, because the graphic adventure genre is well documented ... I thought myst games would be close enough to be lumped w/them but I guess not

Looks like Ill have to continue my easter egg hunt ... thanks for checking though Vance.

P.S. That ad was quite creepy ... :?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu May 29, 2008 9:06 pm

I would steer far clear of the DS port, the compression played all kinds of hell with the stability. People aren't just marking down the game itself for being old, they're encountering massive problems getting it to work from one minute to the next.

Either wait and see if the PSP version is any more stable (assuming you have a PSP) or find a copy of realMYST.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu May 29, 2008 11:01 pm

Hmmm ... I do have a psp. Perhaps I will wait ...

Do you know when is the psp port due for release in the states?

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Thu May 29, 2008 11:53 pm

Not a clue. It's been out in every other region for close to two years now, so it's baffling that we're still getting TBA where the game originated in the first place. Then again, Midway is at the helm and they haven't managed to do much right since Atari ruled the gaming world, so I guess it's par for the course.

My supplier's system won't confirm a date until things are fairly well set in stone, so it's not even in my store's computer yet.

My two cents, I'd put money on the PSP version working better. The code base is not too far removed from Runix, which already has a working Myst game on the market. Even if they can't use that port as a base, they can still take a peek if they screw up badly enough.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 am

If you have a PSP, and the cracked firmware, get Myst for the Playstation 1, and convert it using Ice tea. It's the easiest way I have found of converting PS1 games ISO (or Bin Cue, or IMG) to PSP games.

Alternatively, and taking into account we are talking about Myst here, you could dunk your head in bucket of boiling oil? Just a thought.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Fri May 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Myst was a fun distraction when it first came out. I've never felt the need to go back to it, but I like the occasional brain teaser.

Besides, I'd hope that the PSP's close-to-PS2 capabilities would crank out a superior port when compared to the PS1 version. True, not sure where they would touch it up, but it'll be interesting to see.

Now I'm off to preview Quake Wars and hopefully not wind up fishing around in my nose with a pencil, trying to remove the bits of brain that are going to die.