Fun, from an Xbox360.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Fun, from an Xbox360.

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, despite PGR4, which is a good game, and a few other bits and bobs, I thought it was impossible to drain any fun whatsoever from the Xbox360. Especially since mine is broken. Well - nearly broken. My 360 waits for the least opportune moment, and the declares the disk dirty. Yep - you will be inches from winning the toughest lap on PGR, after trying 36billion times to do so, and then whooops, the old "your disk is dirty" error pops up like a bolt from the blue. Or should that be green?

Microsoft, bless'em, refuse to repair this error under the 3 year rule because it's not the RRoD, it's something else.

So - what am I so happy about? Apparently you can replace the DVD drive yourself -- and it looks like fun! You have to connect the dodgy drive to you PC, dump the firmware, and very other geeky things but ...it actually all seems pretty interesting. So - I'm going to give it a go!

:)

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:15 am

have fun with that

remember when consoles didnt have error messages?
i miss those days :)
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 am

Back in the good ol days when a quick blow in the cartridge solved everything 8)

Times have indeed changed ...

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:26 pm

So. Guess. What.

Sods Law kicked in.

My PS2 Lens died. I had just ordered a enormous mountain of PS1 goodness from Amazon (£1.99 specials) and was having a go at playing Die Hard Trilogy and it just packed in. Me and my big gob.

Mumble.Mumble.Chunter.Chunter.Mumble.

Still - i get to fix it too :) Only there is more at stake, 'cos obviously I have about 6 games for the 360 and about 90 for the PS2...

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 pm

When it rains it pours ... :(

Hope you can get them running again.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:43 am

Ah, repairing consoles is always fun. I bought 13 broken Dreamcasts off eBay for $40 and I already repaired 3 of them.

I re-arranged my entire PC desk so now I have a Dreamcast right under my monitor and it's permanently connected via the VGA box and hooked up to my 5.1 speakers. The DC looks amazing in VGA.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:22 am

I keep meaning to get a VGA cable for mine. If I get one, can I still play house of the dead against my monitor. I bet I can't :(

I also have a nagging idea of playing the Nomad Soul on my DC.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 am

No, I don't think it's going to work with an LCD screen. Maybe if you have a CRT monitor, it might.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Trev wrote:Back in the good ol days when a quick blow in the cartridge solved everything 8)

Times have indeed changed ...
Flashing Red Light of death!

FRLOD!

along with

Flashing Red Screen of death

FRSOD!

lol.

I wish I still had my NES.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:00 pm

I used to have the biggest Black and White TV in the world (i.e. no colour display) which had the smallest screen. It used valves extensively and weighed more than a car. (well, to a 14 year old it did)

I attached my Sinclair Spectrum +2a to it.

When ever I switched off the TV, the computer would also reset due to the power surge. I was faced with either leaving the TV on, and suffering my mothers wrath, or switching it off and reloading it. Not really an option. The answer? Brightness down to zero, contrast to max. Everyone wins.

Things don't change - just the challenges and the solutions.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:10 pm

When ever I switched off the TV, the computer would also reset due to the power surge.
Ok, this is much more worse than the Load and Save system of Enemy Zero.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 pm

I had my fun, and the 360 seems to be fine. (for now)

As I rebuilt my 360, which is supprisingly easy and it simply clips back together, i figured I have no more reasons to hate MS. Sure, the 360 is badly thrown together piece of cheapness, but Bill Gates has resigned, so, well, MS is just a large Gate's-less faceless Corp now (like the one I work for) so... 360 then? What's good besides PGR4.

(NOt Gears of War, I really didn't like GoW!)

I also tried to repair my PS2, but that gave me some old school grief, so I bought another fatty PS2 from eBay... :cry:

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:06 am

I've been so lucky with my 360, I've never had a problem with it at all, Thats even after a botched "Hack" job. I gotta say though, most of my friends have had problems wither theirs, specially the dirty disc thingy. On the other hand, i have been so unlucky with ps1's and ps2's, I remember my 1st ps1 stayed upside down for a whole year. As for ps2's, not sure how many i've had now, but i've recieved a V9 fatty which seems to be perfect. Not sure bout the rest of you, but i've never had good results from PS2 lens tweaking.

UnholyTancred, With your 13 dreamcasts, how many just needed the PSU cleaned? Good score for $40, love the dc

Trev, Funny you should mention blowing carts, I was doing that last sunday for my collecovision, For some reason, there was paint flakes in everything.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:28 am

Trev, Funny you should mention blowing carts, I was doing that last sunday for my collecovision, For some reason, there was paint flakes in everything.
Dude, what are you doing storing your gaming stuff near paint? :?

Trying to pimp the 'ol Colecovision? :lol:

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 am

nocturne wrote:UnholyTancred, With your 13 dreamcasts, how many just needed the PSU cleaned? Good score for $40, love the dc
I repaired 3 by simply re-adjusting the laser. The others have problems with either the controller port or the power supply. I can easily replace the parts but I'm a bit lazy at the moment.
-Vladimir Lenin