Recommend a Sega game

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Recommend a Sega game

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Recommend an uncommon game for any Sega platform.

Rules:

1 - Nothing to be posted on: Virtua, Sonic, Shenmue or any top 20 Sega game. Uncommon games only. If in doubt, ask. i.e. PM 3DOkid.

2 - Write a 2 line review. War and Peace will be deleted.

3 - No comments on other peoples recommendations. If you want to comment, start a new thread in the General Forum with the title of the game.

4 - Positive posts only. Remember: "Recommend" not "Slag off".

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Kolibri for the 32X. A rarity, but I think it is worth it. An untraditional shooter that has you in control of a hummingbird battling insects. Nice to see a frsh spin on the tired genre. Graphics are sweet too ... I'd say among the 32X's best!

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:45 am

Blue Submarine No 6 - For the Dreamcast is an excellent underwater exploratory game. Amazing scenery, tight controls,

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:46 am

Heart of the Alien for the Sega cd. It did not sell very well, but this direct sequel to Out of this World is worth grabbing, especially since it seems that so many people on this forum hold the original in high regard (which is also included on the disc) 2 games in 1. Sure to be an enjoyable time.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:06 am

Wachenroder - An excellent Japanese rpg for the saturn with great graphics and story. Control is like FF tactics, but better. Might be hard to find this one as i think it was a l8r release. Worth getting, whatever means necessary

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:12 am

Rent A Hero No. 1 - For the DC is kinda like the 3d Version of the Megadrive game with the similiar name. I guess it's an RPG, a wacky one at that. You start off as a teenage boy waiting for a pizza to be delivered, instead you get the Rent-A-Hero uniform, it all starts from there. The fighting is similar to VF3 and you Powerup on the way. I guess i'm into Japanese gaming, but others might find this one fun

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Musapey's Choco Marker dc

Post by nocturne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:49 am

Musapey's Choco Marker dc - Is an excellent puzzle game for the dc. It's kind of hard to explain, the screen is made of 3d cubes and the idea is to remove lines buy putting the same color blocks on each end of a line of cubes. Like i said, difficult to explain, Give this a go if you can find it

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Vatvla for the SS

Post by nocturne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:52 am

Vatvla for the SS is a very original car battle type game. the play field is in an isometric view, there's about 8 levels of which you must defeat the enemy. All six buttons are used for various weapons and effects, I really really fun game. The bonus is, if you have VCD card for your saturn, the intro movie is uber advanced in comparison to the normal.[/b]

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Vanhollian fpr the SS

Post by nocturne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:57 am

Vanhollian for the SS Is an excellent turn based rpg in the same kind of format as say FFtactics. Excellent graphics, easy to get into. It is in japanese though so it might be worth tracking down a translation

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Slayers Royale 2 for the SS

Post by nocturne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 am

Slayers Royale 2 for the SS IS another great rpg with a fantastic storyline. Another japanese title which id worth tracking down a translation.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Dungeon Master Nexus for the SS

Post by nocturne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:04 am

Dungeon Master Nexus for the SS If you've ever played dungeion master titles you wouldnt need much help controlling this one. The scenery is brilliant, the monsters do look a bit outdated. Theres alot of online details for this game, well worth picking up

3DOSmacker
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 3DOSmacker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:32 am

Re-Volt for the Dreamcast. It might have been available on other systems, but I had the DC version, and it was good. It's an RC car racing game from a behind-the-car view. It features a very imaginative track set that has you racing through everything from museums to neighborhoods and all the while really pulls off the scale and proportion of everything well. The cars handle just as you'd think they should. There are loads of cars to pick from, and an absolute ton of shortcuts and alternate routes to find. That's one of the best things about it: You don't feel confined at all, but there is a definite path to follow. The graphics on the DC Re-Volt were really polished I thought. Impressive, fun, and addictive. It's well worth a look if you have a DC laying around.

NikeX
3DO ZERO USER

Post by NikeX » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:24 am

Mickey Mania for the Sega cd. Easily the best edition of this game. CD audio means Disney quality music and hearing Mickey speak. Animations are likewise great. And you get a bonus level not found elsewhere. Mickey has starred in many great platformers, and this continued the trend. If you like 'em tough too, than you'll dig this one.

TripHawkins
3DO ZERO USER

Post by TripHawkins » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Zillions for the Sega Master System. One of my all time favorite games, kind of like Metroid with a puzzle/strategy aspect to it. This one is great, just don't try Zillions 2.

T.A.P.
3DO ZERO USER

Post by T.A.P. » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:55 am

Iron Storm for the Sega Saturn.

The best WWII strategy game I've ever played. It's a massive game with a large amount of depth and decent customization. It even contains what-if scenarios for Germany and Japan where they invade mainland America and Canada.

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:56 am

Kenseiden for the Master System - A solid Castlevania-esque game that has a non-linear element to it. The SMS could definitely have used more games like this.

Auto-Fox
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Auto-Fox » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Dinosaurs for Hire for the Sega Genesis. It's a run-n'-gun shooter, similar to Contra, based off an obscure comic book that only ran 21 issues, which begs the question of how it merited a video game. In any case, it's not a bad game, and I recommend it for anyone who likes the genre.
"C'mon, let's go give somebody a bad day!"

phatrat1982
3DO ZERO USER

Post by phatrat1982 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Cosmic Carnage- Sega 32X

A one on on fighting game similar to SF, SS, and the countless other clones. The thing is you are on a space ship with a bunch of space pirates and the ship is gonna explode any minute and you have to kill everyone off in order to get to the only escape pod and save your own ass. The game has pretty good graphics for the style of game it is, especially the background animations and you can upgrade your weapons and armor while fighting if I remember correctly.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:10 am

Blazing Dragons for the Saturn - Now you don't see this everyday ... a point n' click graphic adventure exclusive, not to the pc but, to a console! This is a great game in the genre, and has really good humor. Nice colorful graphics, great voice work, clever puzzles ... top notch! :D
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Jones
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Jones » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 am

General Chaos Mega Drive / Genesis

Wikipedia called it a "real time tactics" game, but it's more
of a military amok battle. You gain control of a 4-soldiers-group,
each one equipped with a different weapon, controlling one at
time, and you can hide behind buildings or simple sand-bags
avoiding enemy fire.
This game is huuuuge multiplayer fun!

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm

Trev wrote:Blazing Dragons for the Saturn -
Wasn't this one by Crystal Dynamics too?

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:40 am

Blazing Dragons was indeed a Crystal Dynamis product. With a 1996 release, it makes you wonder if they didn't have a 3DO version in the works at some earlier point ...

It's a really good game, even for those who aren't huge fans of the genre. The humour, coupled w/puzzles that tend to be easier than comprable fare (even more so if you look up the hints in the instruction manual) make it pretty accesible.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:19 am

Herzog Zwei - Mega Drive

The Grandpa of all RTS? Make and place your units then get down and fight along side them. FF IS ON so check that aim.
I Love it...(cept for the music :( ) ...never met a soul who could defeat me. The key to victory is a good defence.
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:09 am

Outlander on the Mega Drive is still bags of fun to play. Its basically The Road Warrior where you have to make it across a wasteland picking up fuel and ammo as you battle the lawless road gangs. Its great being able to shotgun the bikers thru the side windows whilst driving the car.

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Both Dragon's Fury (i.e., Devil's Crush) and Dragon's Revenge (the sort of "unofficial" sequel) are both cool pinball games for the Genesis. They aren't too expensive, for either loose or complete copies.
Last edited by Austin on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 am

After recently playing a fairly weak version of it on a Midway compilation collection, I gotta give a shout out for Hydro Thunder on the DC. While it was a fairly popular lauch game, it quickly got buried in bigger name DC releases. But I still love it on the DC, and it's crisp clean visuals put later ports to shame! An arcade racing classic, thats a must own imo. :)

Austin

Re: Recommend a Sega game

Post by Austin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:14 am

Dragon Force for the Saturn. It's an interesting hybrid of sorts, featuring role playing game elements mixed with something like a subdued Nectaris/Military Madness. The story is executed well, the music is excellent, and the theme works well (fantasy oriented). It's tough to explain without being able to show the gameplay directly, but I'll just say that it's very addictive once you figure out what you are doing and I feel this is one of the few Saturn games that's genuinely worth the high price it commands on the second-hand market.

goldenband
3DO ZERO USER

Post by goldenband » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Gain Ground for the Genesis, which is easily in my top 10 for the system. It's quite hard to categorize; you could call it an overhead run-'n'-gun with a heavy dose of strategy and a huge cast of characters, but that still doesn't quite do it justice. It's brilliant in co-op.

Martin III
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Martin III » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Austin wrote:Dragon Force for the Saturn. It's an interesting hybrid of sorts, featuring role playing game elements mixed with something like a subdued Nectaris/Military Madness. The story is executed well, the music is excellent, and the theme works well (fantasy oriented). It's tough to explain without being able to show the gameplay directly, but I'll just say that it's very addictive once you figure out what you are doing and I feel this is one of the few Saturn games that's genuinely worth the high price it commands on the second-hand market.
Can't agree with the statement on Saturn games in general, but yeah, Dragon Force is hopelessly addictive. Every time I finish a playthrough of it, I find myself wanting to start it up again with a different character.