Recommend a Sony game.

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Recommend a Sony game.

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Recommend an uncommon game for any Sony platform (Except for PS3).

Rules:

1 - Nothing to be posted on games like: Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Tomb Raider, God of War or any top 20 Sony game. Uncommon games only. If in doubt, ask. i.e. PM 3DOkid.

2 - Write a 2 line review. War and Peace will be deleted.

3 - No comments on other peoples recommendations. If you want to comment, start a new thread in the General Forum with the title of the game.

4 - Positive posts only. Remember: "Recommend" not "Slag off"

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Tobal #1. It's a figting game. Very easy, but quite rewarding.
Last edited by 3DOKid on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Ace Combat 3. Electrosphere: A lot of people like AC4 on the PS2, this is similar but on the PS1. Plays well and looks amazing.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Carnage Heart. Build robots. Lots of robot-hardware options, plus the option to write fighting routines. Very detailed. Fun but complex and time consuming.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Colony Wars 3: Red Sun. Colony Wars 1 was too hard. Colony Wars 2 was boring. Colony Wars 3 is just right. Looks great too.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 pm

The Summoner
It was a launch game and an RPG. There are several problems with this game; the colors are drabby, graphics are bad, poor framerate, bad camera, etc (the usual PS2 launch nonsense ;) ). But if you can look past those flaws, you will find an excellent dark, morose, mature action RPG with awesome music. Hell, I beat this game 3 times.

The Summoner 2
"2 steps forward, 1 step back"
A great sequel to the above game with improvements in every single category except for music and the characters look cartoony which takes away the dark feel of the first but still a fantastic sequel.

Kessen
They made 2 sequels but I still prefer the original one over the other 2 even though it's more of an interactive movie. Big epic strategy battles set during the Tokugawa vs. Toyotomi wars in Japan.

Ring of Red
Mecha strategy RPG by Konami set in an alternate universe where Japan wasn't nuked but instead the northern half was invaded by the Soviet Union. War erupts between the two halves. Don't play this on a busy day because battles usually take at least an hour.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 am

The Mark of Kri: Wonderful Disney type story boarding wrapped up in a violent little number where you could actually dismember your opponents... years before Manhunt! Probably still available in a few bargain basements as well. Worth a look see.

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:27 am

ReBoot - A PS1 release based on the Cartoon with the same name. I look at it as a beta tonyhawk pro sk8 on a hoverboard. If you enjoy the tv show, chances are good that you'd enjoy the game. I just like the geeky atmosphere, recomended

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:58 pm

True Pinball. Instantly addictive. I stay away from this like I stay away from Pinball Fantasies and Puzzle Bobble. Too addictive!

nocturne
3DO ZERO USER

Post by nocturne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 am

Robot Alchemic Drive - for the PS2 imho is the best Mech style game for the system. So you protect the earth against the alien race "volgara" in a massive Mech, included is a badly translated story which made me laugh a fair bit, it's truly Japanese. Anyway, The total control you have over the "meganites" is just awesome, theres no other mech game like this. If only it was popular enough for a sequel,, Grab this one

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:11 am

Disaster Report and it's sequel Raw Danger are 2 incredibly innovative games where you have to survive a natural disaster and escape from a city. The games are very low budget and it shows with the dated graphics. The localization was poorly done. The voice acting is atrocious and Westerners decided to give almost all the characters blonde hair and blue eyes so you have a bunch of Japanese Aryan running around. Despite these shortcomings, the games are unique and fun enough to warrant numerous playthroughs (there's several different endings). In Disaster Report, you only play as one character but in Raw Danger you play as several people in the same city. If you do something as one character, it could affect the next character's game.
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

Puggsy
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Puggsy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:59 am

Assault Rigs Basically you drive around in a futuristic tank collecting gems within a set timelimit in an arena. Good graphics for PS1. There are other tanks, turrets etc trying to stop you. There's some good weapon powerups, I particularly like the missilecam :)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:39 am

Ace Combat X on the PSP. Ace Combat, at some point, became bloated and confusing, with long missions and difficult to see targets. (Ace Combat 5 & 6, I am looking at you) - not true of X. It's awesome.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:55 pm

Blood Will Tell for the PS2. A pretty unique hack-n-slash game with a little RPG influence by SEGA. Demons stole 48 of your body parts when you were a child. A doctor found you and pimped you out by adding various prosthetic parts to your body. Armed with dual swords instead of real arms, a machine gun in your shoulder, and a cannon in your leg you go off to hunt down the demons in feudal Japan and get your body parts back. No complaints other than the camera.
-Vladimir Lenin

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:39 am

None of you have mentioned Jumping Flash and you should all be ashamed. If ever a game was begging for a current gen update, it is that.

And yeah, Ace Combat... became a bit obsessed with flying through long, narrow tunnels. Not symbolic, that.

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 am

Also going to second the Disaster Repot/Raw Danger vote. Raw Danger is the only game I'll ever give the famous movie "so bad it's good" rating. Typically bad games are just that. You can't wring much enjoyment out of a crap control scheme.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 am

Sega Classics Collection for the PS2. Some might have avoided this game due to seemingly odd collection of games (Alien Syndrome but not Sonic?) Others might have missed it due to the overwhelmingly harsh reviews. Guess what? The critics are wrong! This disc is worth it just for Space Harrier alone, re-done with great graphics, and amazing audio! Other good choices are Outrun, Tant R, and Golden Axe. But again, it's version of Space Harrier alone makes it a must!

Vance
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Vance » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Why. Did. I. Not. Mention.

GOD HAND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAga2AjfZlg

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 am

How about Apocalypse for the PS1? Great game, nice cut scenes, the controls are perfectly tailored to the controller and the soundtrack is killer. It has Poe music vids in backgrounds for crying out loud! This game is one of two reasons I bought a PlayStation.
Bruce Willis :wink:
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Tatsumaru
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tatsumaru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Racing Lagoon, a racing RPG game, now you ask me: "how can it be a racing AND a RPG game?" Well, it handles like a racing game obviously, but you gotta earn rep points to gain parts for your car, and you get those parts defeating other oponents, but if you lose, they'll get some parts of your car aswell, plus you gotta lvl up your engine, chassis and Body to apply more parts to make your car more powerfull.
A great game despite the japanese lenguage.

acem77
3DO ZERO USER

Post by acem77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm

3rd person action adventure/real time strategy

Ps3 Brutal Legend also on xbox 360.

under rated
3rd person action adventure/real time strategy

only $9 on amazon it’s a steal, was well worth the $59 I paid on day 1

great play control, gfx, insane sound track(its all rock/metal fit perfectly) lots of good humor!

Dr.Enceladus
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Dr.Enceladus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 am

Thrill Kill - PS1

Cool lil fighting game that got banned, cleaned up then re-released as Wu-Tang Clan.

:twisted:
...eat well, stay fit, look good, feel great - die anyway...

boabject78
3DO ZERO USER

Post by boabject78 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:31 am

The original Tenchu Stealth Assassins on the PSX has to be mentioned here. Its not the prettiest or the solidest of games but has all the right ideas and is still it better than all the later installments. Choose from 2 ninjas and try completing various missions without being seen, at all. Very, very satisfying. Wonderful soundtrack aswell as featuring the voice and talents of the ninja legend himself Sho Kosugi.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am

True Pinball for the Playstation is worth mentioning. I picked this up not too long ago, as I enjoy Pinball Illusions and this game is an update of it. With new graphics, 2d & 3d views, and the awesome Vikings table, its worth grabbing for fans.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 am

Agreed as well, Trev. I have it on the Saturn (well, incidentally, Japanese PS1 as well, but that one won't play the music through my Action Replay). It's a solid 32-bit gen pinball title.

Another one that sits right next to it IMO is Hyper 3D Pinball (also both on the Saturn and PlayStation).

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:12 am

Speaking of pinball, I've recently played a few games in the Pro Pinball series that I thought were great! I wasn't sure what to think w/just one table, but with Fantastic Journey and Big Race USA playing is believing. They are terrific on multiple levels! :D I'm anxious to try out the others whether it be on Psx, PC, or Saturn. Highly recommended for all pinball fans.
Most wanted - Eye of Typhoon, 3DO Magazines issues #14 & #15, Pro Stadium, Defcon 5

Austin
Master Poster & Pricing Expert

Post by Austin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 am

TimeShock and Pro Pinball: The Web (It's technically self-titled "Pro Pinball", and that's it, on the front cover) are the other ones you can track down on the PSX. TimeShock is the rarer of the two and I had to pay $20 for mine. It seems like a lot, but considering I paid $2 - $5 a piece for the others, I felt it balanced out in the end. The Web/original Pro Pinball is cheap. Cheapest on the PlayStation, but not expensive at all on the Saturn either (no pinball game is expensive on the Saturn, unless we get into Japanese-exclusives).

Another fun one to have is the Pro Pinball Trilogy for the Dreamcast. I believe it was a UK-exclusive, but plays great on a US system when you use a boot disc. It has smoother animation and less load times than the PlayStation versions (the compilation features TimeShock, Fantastic Journey and Big Race USA). I think this same compilation was also released on the PS2 in Japan (possibly the UK as well).

Lastly, the PC titles are definitely worth checking out. I bought all of the ones available from GOG.com. You can pump these bad boys into much higher resolutions than the console renditions. I don't quite enjoy playing pinball games as much on my PC, but these ones are excellent.

k1ngarth3r
3DO ZERO USER

Post by k1ngarth3r » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Gunfighters is worth checking out - wild west g-con action
Most wanted:
3DO Magazine Issue 10 - 15

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:42 am

The 3rd Birthday on PSP. It's a 3rd person rpg shooter that is a spin off of the Parasite Eve series on the original playstation. Has an awesome story that keeps you engaged until the end.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 am

The Italian Job for the original Playstation is a pretty terrific game imo (I could've sworn I had already recommended it) It came out so late in the PSX life that it was probably overlooked, but it is a great mission based driving game (based of the original Michael Caine flick) with lots of fun extra modes. I like it back in the early 2000's and playing it recently 10 years later I might even more. :)