Heretic ported to Dreamcast (download)

Non-3DO related chat here please.

Moderators: Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Heretic ported to Dreamcast (download)

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 am

I just recently downloaded Heretic for the Dreamcast. I can’t play it at the moment as my DC is boxed up, but it’s sequel is awesome so hopefully this will be too.
This is legal to download and burn as in early 1999, the source code of Heretic was published by Raven Software under a license that granted rights to non-commercial use, and was re-released under the GNU General Public License on September 4, 2008.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A8C9RRVL
only 19.65 MB

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders is the expanded version of the original Heretic retail release with the addition of two new episodes. This gives Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders a total of five episodes compared to the original Heretic's three episodes (and a single episode for
the shareware release). This is the 'unofficial' port to the Dreamcast and it plays fine.

Your world has been ravaged by the three Serpent Riders from the Abyss. Afterwards two of the Riders have left, while one, D'Sparil remains to
oversee the oppression. It is your duty, as the Heretic, to destroy this demon.
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:40 am

I never tried that, but:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown/2004/dcdev/doom/

Okay, it's not true, i successfully tried nxDoom, even with the Modmenu, it is great. Your download is seemingly a "user friendly" version. Nobody has to use SBI or the Utopia Boot CD. ;-)

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm

heretic just plays like a doom clone. Hexen was a much much better game. It's still the same doom engine and everything but hexen had great value in the gameplay department.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:33 pm

I haven't played the DC DOOM, someone did a Quake port that was awesome but you had to supply the original game files yourself. I made a copy without the use of the GL patch by mistake and it still looks gorgeous!

I bought Hexen for the Saturn and I can't get enough. Takes me waaaaaay back to the good days of 3D.

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm

BryWI wrote:heretic just plays like a doom clone. Hexen was a much much better game. It's still the same doom engine and everything but hexen had great value in the gameplay department.
Well, i have to correct myself. I have indeed played Hretic and Hexen, but not on the DC. ;-)
3DO Experience wrote:I haven't played the DC DOOM, someone did a Quake port that was awesome but you had to supply the original game files yourself. I made a copy without the use of the GL patch by mistake and it still looks gorgeous!
I have used nxDoom, and it runs pretty well, especially, if you use the mouse and keyboard.
I guess, the Quake port you're talking about is the so calles Titanium port, developed by Titanium Studios. This can be seen as semi-homebrew, because it was developed by a team, who have developed some commercial DC games, using the Windows CE SDK.
Thankfully it leaked and got the official OK by id Software, as long as it is only distributed with the shareware and not for commercial purposes.
3DO Experience wrote:I bought Hexen for the Saturn and I can't get enough. Takes me waaaaaay back to the good days of 3D.
I want a ticket to there too. ;-)

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:42 pm

Yeah, Titanium was the one that made the packet. They included the shareware but if you wanted to play the full version you had to supply those files yourself.

Hexen never got an official release but the source code was released by Raven. I haven't seen a DC port of it but I haven't looked either as the Saturn version has been keeping me more than happy. I have stumbled across a DS port of Hexen but I'd rather play it on a CRT.

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Actually, i stopped playing these games on consoles. There are plenty of ports for the PC, which all do a better job, plus i have the possibility to have multiplayer through the internet with my friends.

But i was always interested in the stuff these homebrew developers have done. Many of their stuff is impressive, i.e. thinking of games like Beats of Rage. I wish desperately, that more of such talented developers would do stuff like that, to fill the horrible abyss, the gaming market of today left. I am sick and tired of the uninspired games, all shiny polished but boring as hell. I am sick and tired of all the digital rights management bullshit, all that Steam and SecuROM pestilence.

The most fun with a game i had last time was Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl, a first person version of the good old Bare Knuckle/Final Fight stuff. It's based on ZDoom, and full of gameplay fun, tons of eastereggs and made with passion. Hell, i bought that game, even for it is free downloadable with the exception of some additional maps, which nobody used to have, to see the whole story. And thats exactly what i will do for when other homebrew developers do the same as this team does.

Sorry for going off topic. :oops:

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm

Quake on the DC looks gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

I loved Heretic and Doom back in the day but I never got into Hexen. I was playing the Saturn version a few months ago. Do you ever get any weapons or am I supposed to beat everything down with my fists?
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 am

UnholyTancred wrote:Quake on the DC looks gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

I loved Heretic and Doom back in the day but I never got into Hexen. I was playing the Saturn version a few months ago. Do you ever get any weapons or am I supposed to beat everything down with my fists?
Gorgeous is a better word than awesome, you are correct sir. Yes you do get weapons, once you get to the second hub and beat the first part of it. I always play the Mage so I start out with a staff and then switch to my hands to use a freezing spell. Works great on those fiery Afrits.