New 3DO owner, what do I need?

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

New 3DO owner, what do I need?

Post by Tears of Ash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 am

I've only had my 3DO for about a week, and I don't really know much about the thing. I'm not really part of the whole 3DO fandom , nor am I a hardcore collector or anything. I suppose I'm making up for things that I missed out on in my childhood.

Get me started.

I have a decent selection of games already. Need for Speed, Road Rash, Sailor Moon, Way of the Warrior, and shock wave. There seems to be a lot of ports. What should I stay away from? What's worth checking out? What's so horrendously bad that I should D/L just to laugh at it? (already seen Night Trap in action, btw.)

There's also some things I'm confused about. How does the thing save? Is there a way to edit saved files? I read about an attachment that lets you play VCDs on the 3DO. Is this extremely hard to find, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Is that the only thing the expansion port was for?

Also, is there any homebrew that's playable on an actual 3DO system?

Any sort of thoughts, ideas, or brainstorming would be welcomed and appreciated!

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Re: New 3DO owner, what do I need?

Post by cybdmn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 am

Tears of Ash wrote:How does the thing save?
Every console have 32kB for savegames. There is a external memory from Panasonic unit with 256 kB, but a bit of rare and a bit expensive. It works on all consoles, except the 3DO Blaster, which have not the neccesary expansion port.
Tears of Ash wrote:Is there a way to edit saved files?
Yes. But you need the Game Guru. It contain some built-in cheats, and you can use a hex editor.
Tears of Ash wrote:I read about an attachment that lets you play VCDs on the 3DO. Is this extremely hard to find, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Is that the only thing the expansion port was for?
Depends of which console you own. For the Panasonic consoles the VCD Addons are not that rare. You can find them from time to time at ebay.
As far as i know this expansion port never was used for another device, maybe something was planned, i.e. modem or something like that.
Tears of Ash wrote:Also, is there any homebrew that's playable on an actual 3DO system?
Not that much, i think.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm

You can access save files through most later demo discs, as well as several later releases. Really though, the Game Guru could be considered a must own. Much cheaper than the japanese add-on ,and apparently the only hope of any future homebrew (which is sadly MIA at the moment) The Guru is what OlderGames used to crack encryption a while back. Heres hoping GDG has some good news in the pipe.

Too may games to suggest &/or avoid but check out the reviews here on the forum and especially 3DOKid's page to get a good idea (he is right about 1/5 of the time :wink: )

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Also, I noticed that you can manage save data with the VCD addon thing. I found one on ebay but it was bundled with the entire system, which I already have... :S

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:22 pm

you know i had the FZ1 VCD adaptor for 5 years (sold it for $50 i think) and never knew you could delete files from the FZ1 with it .. probably because i only used it 2 times (just to test it). i use the FZ10 console

if you just want to delete files from the FZ1 you need ... well the VCD adaptor apperently, or a sampler CD with a storgae manager on it
if you need a storage manager i have one ready for download (its like 3mb in size)
What's so horrendously bad that I should D/L just to laugh at it?
you have one already (Way of the Warrior, or am i thinking of supreme warrior? eh either way i dont like either) :D
another would be
Dennis Miller: That's News to Me (very outdated topics and bland)

ones i like are (heres the short list)
Gex
Dragon Lore
Daedalus Encounter
Corpse Killer (if i can beat it without a gun anyone should beable to) ;)
Captain Quazar - must get for tons of action/shooting
FIFA Soccer - if your into sports
Off World Interceptor
Psychic Detective
Return Fire
Wing Commander III
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

Tears of Ash
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Tears of Ash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Way of the Warrior is so terrible. I'm sure that's the one you're thinking of

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Way of the Warrior is a Mortal Kombat wannabe, that fails. Supreme Warrior is a FMV interactive movie-Mortal Kombat wannabe-in first person view.

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Out of this World, Flashback and Prince of Persia are all pretty awful. PO'ed and Killing Time are some of the worst FPS's I've played in my life. Not for content, but for frame rate and collision detection. They are good concepts, but very poorly programmed.

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 am

noooo! cant hate on Out of This World! I'll let you hate on fallout3 but not this. heh.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:24 am

13BEAST wrote:Out of this World, Flashback and Prince of Persia are all pretty awful. PO'ed and Killing Time are some of the worst FPS's I've played in my life. Not for content, but for frame rate and collision detection. They are good concepts, but very poorly programmed.
Madness! Out of this World (Another World in EU-Land) is a classic. Pixel perfect jumping aside, I think you will meet some resistance to this view ;)

PO'ed and Killing Time may be pretty dated but when you look at what they were competing with at the time, I think they stand up pretty well. I don't honestly believe they are any worse than the so called classics: Doom Wolfenstein.

Also, some elements of Killing Time were implemented extremely well. Not least of all some of the graphical effects, sound and plot. Maybe I have a soft spot for Killing Time as it was one of the games that helped change my views on FPS (to a degree) ;)

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:58 pm

13BEAST wrote:Out of this World, Flashback and Prince of Persia are all pretty awful. PO'ed and Killing Time are some of the worst FPS's I've played in my life. Not for content, but for frame rate and collision detection. They are good concepts, but very poorly programmed.
You cant be serious...this is the craziest post i've ever read!

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey now fellas. I call it how I see it.

PO'ed and Killing Time are worse than Doom, Wolf3D or DN3D, if for nothing else than the controls, the choppiness, and the way you have to be 100% accurate with your movements. Especially in Killing Time, I thought there were invisible doors all over the place, but no, apparently there must have been 1/2 of a wall pixel snagging my shirt to stop me from proceeding. I really did want to like those games, but I don't.

Out of this World (Another World) is just confusing. There's nothing to do. Your ship crashes, you have to quickly learn how to swim and surface from the tank or some unidentified creature will kill you. Then you break a vine, then some caterpillars with spikes kill you in one hit. If you manage to overcome the stiff, almost unusable controls, and jump at exactly the right second, you can manage to get past the little bugs. Then some fucking wolf thing blocks your path. you can't turn back, you can't fight, all you can do is die. That's the point when I microwaved the game because it's a piece of fucking shit. I'd rather suck the partially digested corn from some dead carcases anus. I'd rather have a tobasco sauce enema. I'd rather cath myself without lube than ever play that sack of shit video game again.

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:05 pm

13BEAST wrote: That's the point when I microwaved the game because it's a piece of fucking shit. I'd rather suck the partially digested corn from some dead carcases anus. I'd rather have a tobasco sauce enema. I'd rather cath myself without lube than ever play that sack of shit video game again.
ok now tell us how you really feel?
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Lemmi wrote:
13BEAST wrote: That's the point when I microwaved the game because it's a piece of fucking shit. I'd rather suck the partially digested corn from some dead carcases anus. I'd rather have a tobasco sauce enema. I'd rather cath myself without lube than ever play that sack of shit video game again.
I try to hold back when I'm new on forums. In a year or two, I'll let loose on one of these ass games :wink:

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Lemmi wrote:
I would suggest to ban him for a week just to give him some time to really play those games!! :lol:
Come on beast you cant be serious...poed, out of this world and killing time are simply wonderful!

13BEAST
3DO ZERO USER

Post by 13BEAST » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

pitsunami wrote:
Lemmi wrote:
I would suggest to ban him for a week just to give him some time to really play those games!! :lol:
Come on beast you cant be serious...poed, out of this world and killing time are simply wonderful!
:lol: Well when it comes to games, I'm always serious. I won't judge a game before playing it, but once I play one that I hate, I give it a good ribbing any chance I get lol. Ask me about Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde or SwordQuest :D

BryWI
3DO ZERO USER

Post by BryWI » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:14 pm

How about we tell him the solution and make him play it again!!!!

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!

You are supposed to run to that lion thing first and then run backwards and it will chase you to the vine. You use the vine to swing off the cliff and then back and start running towards the right....

The game can be brutal, but it is beatable for sure. It plays like an action puzzle. but not like dragon's lair, because you are actualy in control.

I have beaten the PC version, the snes version, and the 3do version. 3do version actaully tops the PC version. That doesnt happen very often.

MrAshDarksideTM
3DO ZERO USER

Post by MrAshDarksideTM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:08 pm

pitsunami wrote:
You cant be serious...this is the craziest post i've ever read!

Seriously.
Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 am

What the ... how in the world did I miss this thread? :? (Never rely soley on the link to view posts since your last visit!)

Dare I ask your beef w/Flashback, one of my favorite games of all time on any console?

Oh btw, while I don't share your view of OOTW I will say this ... it is overrated (Sorry Will)

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:16 am

What I think we need is a guide to gain the 3DO experience (Not 3DOExperience the fourm user) but a sequence of games, demos and peripherals that bring any new 3DO user to the same level of appreciation we all have.

Here is my first stab: The 3DO Basics.

- You must play with the demo disc for at least 2 days. including the Kodac part. You must play no other video game during this time.
- You must play either Crash n' burn or Total Eclipse to completion.
- You must read at least one copy of 3DO Magazine.
- You must play at least one Japanese import
- you must learn a new sport: Americans learn Soccer via Fifa , everyone else American Football via John Madden.
- One smutty 3DO game.
- One FMV cluttered game preferably something by Tom Zito.
- One pre-resident evil survival horror game (D, Escape from Monster Manor, etc..)
- You must play KillingTime, and only KillingTime until you love it.

...what else?

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:20 am

3DOKid wrote:...what else?
-You must try to play one of the gun-shooters (Mad Dog, Corpse Killer) with the gamepad. :mrgreen:

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 am

cybdmn wrote:
3DOKid wrote:...what else?
-You must try to play one of the gun-shooters (Mad Dog, Corpse Killer) with the gamepad. :mrgreen:
Good one. :)

How about:

- You must choose one game everyone loves, and hate it.
- You must choose one game everyone hates, and love it.

(Trev is over-subscribed to this ;) )

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Heh heh, funny Kid ... not! :wink:

How about adding one edutainment title to the list?

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Trev wrote:Heh heh, funny Kid ... not! :wink:

How about adding one edutainment title to the list?
Another good call.

To be truly a fanboy, you must be able to name more M2 games than most average (normal?) people can name M1 games :)

mosul210
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mosul210 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm

The jump from 16bit to 32bit (3DO) was the biggest most noticeable improvement in my video gaming life. Games like Crash-n-Burn. Road Rash and Twisted brought a new level of game play and immersion.

Some of the games that brought the biggest smiles to my face are:

Road Rash - an amazing fast paced racer
Need for Speed - IMO still has some of the best tracks ever
Twisted - the undisputed king of party games
Samurai Shodown - the best xfer next to Neo-Geo
Novastorm - great looking shooter
Killing time - one of my favorite FPS ever
Gex - top to bottom great platform game

that's just a few to get you moving along.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm

So, to get the really R.E.A.L 3DO experience, you have to chuck any games console made after 1993 in the bin, and play on Genesis and SNES games for two years before actually switching your 3DO on.

That, i imagine, would be pretty authentic.