Unreleased 3DO games known to exist

All general 3DO chat here please.

Moderators: 3DO Experience, Devin, Bas, 3DOKid

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:28 am

Great to see these protos! Please tell me you made copies?

I have a few protos that I'd never release, however it seemed prudent to stave off bitrot by making a duplicate on fresh media. Well worth buying a few CDr for!

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:40 pm

:shock: Why would you NOT release a proto??? That's like finding a Rembrandt and saying, "no one can look at it but me". For shame!
"Wait. You don't have a bag of charcoal in your gaming room???"

Devin
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by Devin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Without being too specific and before I begin I should mention it's not a game!

Basically the prototype I have was never released due to conflicting interests of the developer and the holders of this particular intellectual property. Anyway to cut a long story short the developers went ahead and made a full piece of software but unfortunately the IP holders couldn't agree on a release. After a little research I believe they wanted too much money, go figure! The IP Holder still has an invested interest so I'd rather not draw too much attention to this prototype. So a release is out of the question for fear of legal repercussions.

It's a shame because this is a great reference title kinda like an interactive documentary. I hope to do an article about it in the near future all the same.

At least some show and tell is in order! :D

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:32 pm

and this is why ya just release it without bragging so it just shows up and ppl don't know the dumper

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:42 pm

please dont go down this path again guys! The legal ramifications are real. The majority of 3do software licences I believe are held by ubisoft.At a recent trade show I put to Nintendo the question of releasing games from other platforms on Wii virtual console.I was told to keep watching!Ubisoft are close to Nintendo - we may see 3do on Wii eventually.As for unreleased games it is unlikely.Our best chances are with games such as orbatrak - I believe the ALG stuff may be regarded as abandonware - but will need checking. Somewhere Mckenzie & co exists too.
I really dont think the oldergames releases were much more than protos released with some playability - a quick cash in and get out with as little effort as possible put in - nice thought but as usual I question motives - yes i am a conspiracy nut at heart and still believe that kid is hawkins and bitrate is RJ! :wink:
I believe there is the talent and passion on this site for something substantial to be done - we have already opened a can of worms judging by some of the pms I've been getting. If we do this the right way we will get support - of this I have no doubt.

I'll give some trade news later in a different thread but for the meantime we need 3do experience , windowskiller and bitrate on the same side! 8)
"purge with fire Bretheren"

3DO is dead , long live 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K2kuP_anAc

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:12 am

Lads - I love you all, but there has been an announcement on this very subject. See top of the forum.

3DO Experience
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DO Experience » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 pm

On the same side??? That could be dangerous, combining forces like that. LOL I dunno, I guess I'm just an anarchist at heart, let vs into the courte to parte the spoyle.

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:20 am

Actually, C-Runner was slated to be a follow up to Autobahn Tokio. It was supposed to have more tracks and vehicles and allow the player to upgrade said vehicles.
Looks like it had a case of Ridge Racer syndrome. Release basically the same game w/minor adjustments. Still cool though.

Any more pics coming?

P.S. You are all a bunch of conspiracy nuts! I love it! :P

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Trev wrote:
Any more pics coming?

Yep. I'll grab Varuna's Forces next I think.

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:52 am

at one stge I also believe Penn & Tellers Smoke & Mirrors was planned , however, the seriousness of this title is questionable.!

"The greatest games in the world take seconds to learn but months to master. The worst take months to learn and minutes to finish."...MattyG

Trev
3DO ZONE MOD

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:34 pm

at one stge I also believe Penn & Tellers Smoke & Mirrors was planned , however, the seriousness of this title is questionable.!
For 3DO? I've only ever seen the Sega cd beta.

UnholyTancred
3DO ZERO USER

Post by UnholyTancred » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:25 pm

mattyg wrote:at one stge I also believe Penn & Tellers Smoke & Mirrors was planned , however, the seriousness of this title is questionable.!
ALL HAIL DESERT BUS!!!!
"Democracy for an insignificant minority, democracy for the rich — that is the democracy of capitalist society."
-Vladimir Lenin

mattyg
3DO ZERO USER

Post by mattyg » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Dont know if 3do version got to beta stage but the sega cd version did and PC and 3do versions were scheduled

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:25 am

Finally got around to posting some video of Escape From Planet Klamtrops. Click the red text in the Escape From Planet Klamtrops section in the first post of this thread for the link.

I should be able to get the screen shots and some video of Varuna's Forces done tomorrow.

Enjoy

pitsunami
3DO ZERO USER

Post by pitsunami » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 am

Seems great and fun!! :D
Thanks...

Lemmi
3DO ZERO USER

Post by Lemmi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:27 am

pitsunami wrote:Seems great and fun!! :D
Thanks...
sure does and we are the first 2 to leave comments :D
Ex-3DO collector extraordinaire , but i still have my collection
Villagephotos is dead, need to find my old pics and find another host

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:35 am

This is quite amazing. Why do games that seem to be pretty advanced in developement get canclled.

By the way, the "Wiggly Squiggly" sample sounds like my mum.

Which is disturbing.

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:38 pm

3DOKid wrote:This is quite amazing. Why do games that seem to be pretty advanced in developement get canclled.
Exactly what i asked when Half Life for the Dreamcast was cancelled, which was nearly done.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:56 pm

I guess the answer is return on investment.

The DC and the 3DO sold around 6million-9million consoles. Even if you sell 1 copy to 10% of the user base, you might not recoup the cost of development and marketing and general 'cost of sale'.

Simply put - it's not worth it.

The 3Do is the same as the DC in this respect. if the business people believe they are so far behind the competitors, which is probably true of Sega and 3Do with regards Playstation, they basically wanted to minimise their losses, rather than shooting for profits.

That's what I reckon. it's a crying shame mind you.

cybdmn
3DO ZERO USER

Post by cybdmn » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Of course, i heard that return on investment bullshit many times. But, they pumped massive ammounts of money into a game, just to cancel it close to the release. These return on invesment kings believe, they know everything, and ending like this:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17974/mortal-k ... ankruptcy/

And thats the bitter truth.

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:42 pm

cybdmn wrote:Of course, i heard that return on investment bullshit many times. But, they pumped massive ammounts of money into a game, just to cancel it close to the release. These return on invesment kings believe, they know everything, and ending like this:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17974/mortal-k ... ankruptcy/

And thats the bitter truth.
It's amazing isn't it? Mortal Kombat must have made them millions - where did all the money go? It's miss-management.

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:18 am

I posted some video of Varuna's Forces on YouTube. The link for the video as well as some screen captures are (as always) located back in the first post in this thread.

This build of Varuna's Forces unfortunately doesn't get very far with the gameplay. Of course, as far as I know, this may be as far as the game got in development for the 3DO.

As can be seen, quite a bit of work was done on the front end of the game. But again, unfortunately, that was about all that was done. As soon as the actual gameplay starts it pretty much ends as well.

There is some nice introduction FMV and storyline buildup before you pick your team. As can be seen in the video you have a group of people from whom to make up your team (including actor Michael Clarke Duncan) and you can access data concerning their training and even view FMV clips of their psychiatric profiles. I only grabbed the psychiatric video profiles for two of the characters as I was running long on the video capture.

After picking your team members, or just going with one of the default team makeups, the game takes you into a short FMV sequence and then strangely enough into a very short on-rails shooting sequence. It is strange because it is so incredibly short. You have control over firing the lasers and the cursor for aiming the shots. After this brief session, there is more FMV followed by what is supposed to be the meat of the game.

At this point you can really see how early this example of the game is.

It's also interesting to note the differences between the 3DO version of the game and the Jaguar version. The introduction FMV is different and the player-controlled on-rails shooting section seems to be absent from the Jaguar version as well. At least, this is what I have surmised by viewing the available video of the Jaguar version of the game. Maybe someone with more experience with the Jaguar version can comment.

Enjoy!

3DOKid
3DO ZONE ADMIN

Post by 3DOKid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 am

Wow. Thanks Bitrate.

What year was this game? The first thing is the quality of the FMV. The quality of sillouhetted spaceship is, and it sounds dumb I know, but I have seen a lot of 3DO-Space pre-rendered gubbins, pretty good.

Also the actors in screenshot 10 and 13 (the two chaps) are famous are they not? B-Actors but I have seen them both before.

Anyone know them?

bitrate
3DO DEMI-GOD

Post by bitrate » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:01 am

3DOKid wrote:
Also the actors in screenshot 10 and 13 (the two chaps) are famous are they not? B-Actors but I have seen them both before.

Anyone know them?
Yep, he is actor Michael Clarke Duncan. The guy in "The Green Mile" and "Armageddon".

3DOKid wrote:What year was this game? The first thing is the quality of the FMV. The quality of sillouhetted spaceship is, and it sounds dumb I know, but I have seen a lot of 3DO-Space pre-rendered gubbins, pretty good.

The date stamped on my disk and case May, 1995. I have some advertisements and I belive articles for the game, but I will have to dig them out.